OT: Dads... is this just "boys will be boys"?

Instead of being a great time to get a thicker skin it might be a great time for kids to learn what kind of behavior will and won't be tolerated. Its unacceptable to put your hands on another person and certainly to expose them like was done to OPs son. He doesn't need a thicker skin, the kid who pantsed him needs to learn a lesson on boundaries.

I agree that these children should learn boundaries, but OP did not ask about that. She asked what she should help her child take away. We will always have to deal with certain people who do not respect our boundaries. Are we going to change those people? Probably not. The only thing we have control over is how we deal with the situation.

I agree that these children should learn boundaries, but OP did not ask about that. She asked what she should help her child take away. We will always have to deal with certain people who do not respect our boundaries. Are we going to change those people? Probably not. The only thing we have control over is how we deal with the situation.
The problem with this is its victim blaming. Ops son isn't responsible for the other kids behavior.

Op asked for advice and I suggested she speak to her son about talking directly to those that do this and seek an authority figure if that fails. As a parent I would immediately contact the teacher/coach as well.

Trying to figure out how this is op's son's fault and what he can do to avoid being harassed is not helpful.

I also disagree that kids don't change. If my son did something like that there would be consequences for sure. I don't think the kid meant to be so awful but this is the time for him to learn that what he did was unacceptable.

If this happened at my child's school (private through high shool) it would be taken very seriously as it should.

I've been a middle school teacher for years, and that kind of behavior would not be tolerated at any of the schools where I have taught. Public humiliation is not how kids grow thicker skins. I agree that it would also be considered sexual harassment as well.

Is there any worse parental cop out then the statement "boys will be boys"? Instead of parenting and reprimanding the child, parents just say "boys will be boys". I know one thing, if I had done this at that age, NO WAY would my dad say eh! boys will be boys! He would grab me and make me apologize face-to-face and then I would be grounded for a long while. Its called teaching respect, something that is sadly lacking nowadays.

It happens. Saw it when I was a teenager at least a thousand times. Looks like its a tradition that spans generations. If your son was really bothered by it, have him talk to someone at school about it. At 14 mom shouldn't be solving all his problems for him any more.

On a related note, is 'mooning' people still a thing? That was also really common, though it's possible my friends were all just perverts.

I'm not a dad, but I taught middle school for 15 years. Pantsing happens a lot, middle schoolers can be harsh, and it's a great time for boys and girls to get a thicker skin.

If you're worried about a pattern of teasing, I'd talk to a guidance counselor. Explain your concerns and ask for her observations about your son. Sometimes, students engage in specific behaviors that lead to them being teased. It's not right, but it's something you can gently work on with him. High school is a lot better.

OK, so I get it. The girl who talks to the window, or the boy who comes to school with food all over his face are kind of setting themselves up for teasing from their peers. Middle school kids are not nice. I hear you. Parents can help their kids learn social graces and make sure their kid takes a shower, combs their hair, and wear pants that are long enough and match the shirt.

HOWEVER!!!!!

^^^Your's is the same reaction from teachers and staff that I got when my son, who was a brand new student at the beginning of 6th grade (we moved in April of his 5th grade year), was being bullied and excluded just for being "new" to the school full of kids who had been together since preschool. Wow....what a great way to put all of the blame on a child and excuse the bullies. My son was a good student, friendly, happy, outgoing, tall and athletic, cute with nothing abnormal or out of the ordinary about his looks/hair/clothing/etc, he just happened to be put in a class with the "Star Athelete" of the grade who took one look at my son and decided that he was a threat and did everything he could to put DS down and exclude him from not only Mr. Star's group of friends, but the girls and everyone else who might possibly try to be his friend.

The teachers excused the behaviors by explaining that the bully's parents were getting divorced and that my son was the "new kid" and couldn't possibly expect to make friends right away. This kid made my son's life absolutely miserable for the rest of 5th grade and most of 6th grade and nobody wanted to help, least of all the teachers who turned a blind eye.

Thicker skin? Yes, my son certainly grew a thicker skin that year....at the expense of a lot of tears and loss of confidence and grades and lack of joining in at school. Thank god he had parents, a football coach, and family that never gave up on him and went to bat for him every time he was bullied so he knew that *someone* was in his corner. Thank god he was tall and athletic and a trained linebacker so that those jerky kids couldn't take it to the next level and physically hurt him. He is now almost 15 and not a time goes by where he sees someone being left out or bullied and doesn't step in. MY SON grew the thicker skin and the confidence and is now able to help other kids who might not be able to stand up for themselves while the bullies got to pat themselves on the back and congratulate themselves for being the kings of their universe. So, I guess MY SON was the lucky one after all. But man, that was a tough year that didn't have to be so bad if we had just gotten a little bit of support from the educators who were supposed to be there for the children.

OP - talk to the school/coach and go to bat for your son. Let him know that you are on his side and do whatever you can to hold that bully accountable. Don't count on teachers to help - I know there are amazing middle school teachers out there, but there are too many more who are just sick of the whole social dynamic of middle school kids and don't want to get involved. Don't let people tell you that it's not a big deal...even though your son will come across jerks his whole life and needs to learn how to deal with them, at this age, he needs to know that you are there in the background supporting him and backing him up.

I would also recommend, independent of the school and bullies, to keep your son involved in whatever he excels at and make sure that you encourage him to brings friends home and hang out with kids....boys, especially, don't need a gazillion friends, just a couple of really good ones.

Last edited:
Instead of being a great time to get a thicker skin it might be a great time for kids to learn what kind of behavior will and won't be tolerated. Its unacceptable to put your hands on another person and certainly to expose them like was done to OPs son. He doesn't need a thicker skin, the kid who pantsed him needs to learn a lesson on boundaries.

I completely agree. Why is this an OK thing for teens to do to each other and not adults? These things don't happen at staff meetings at work or neighborhood gatherings. Bad behavior that hurts another person should not be tolerated because the perpetrators are under 18.

OP - I was a shy and very smart kid in elementary and middle school. I wasn't necessarily bullied or picked on, but I tried to hide in the background if I could. In early high school (grades 9-10), I remember two instances where I stood up to bullies on behalf of other kids. I wasn't the one being bullied, but I was fed up with their behavior. So, I said "Stop it! That's not cool!" as loud as I could. In both instances, the bullies said to me, "I'll see you after school!" as they sculked away. In neither instance did the bully actually follow-up on the threat to "see me after school" although I did watch my back for a few days. They were too embarrassed that one of the smart kids in the school called them out in front of everyone else!

Parents, tell your kids to stand up for other kids when they see them being bullied. It isn't a prank and it isn't "normal." With easy access to media, the cycle of bullying is just too easy to escalate for the bullies and too hard to escape for the victims. This cycle of bullying needs to stop! I wish I had stood up to more bullies in middle school. My husband and I are teaching both our children to stand up for other kids.

One thing that we do with our DD is to role play. I learned this in my grad school negotiations class. So, take turns and act out different situations that your son faces or could possibly experience. You can give him words and practice to stand up for himself and others. Then, when the real situation occurs, he would feel less intimidated and better prepared. Plus, it gives him a chance to distance himself from the raw emotion of the situation in a safe place with his parents. "How could you have reacted differently in that situation? Let's practice."

Kids in 8th grade still need their parents to go to bat for them. I disagree with the post that said he should be able to handle it for himself. All of us need the support of those who love us to get through difficult situations.

You are doing the right thing to be concerned and ask questions. Give him the tools he needs to grow!

OP - I have been in both camps here..... Its part of life, yes an odd part, was there skin or just skibbies? Hoepfully he had on his MM boxers. Sure it sucks and embarrassing, maybe a joke gone bad or just a bunch of kids having fun. Talk about it and see whats really going on.

BTW - To the poster asking why don't adults still do this.... I still do.... How else are my kids going to learn?

OP - I have been in both camps here..... Its part of life, yes an odd part, was there skin or just skibbies? Hoepfully he had on his MM boxers. Sure it sucks and embarrassing, maybe a joke gone bad or just a bunch of kids having fun. Talk about it and see whats really going on.

BTW - To the poster asking why don't adults still do this.... I still do.... How else are my kids going to learn?

The OP said that it was done by a kid who had been bullying her child for a while. This wasn't a case of a friend doing it to a friend. Sounds like to me that the bullying has escalated and it is time to take further action. OP has already observed the bullying and waited to see if it would get to the next level. In my opinion, NOW it *has* gotten to the "next level".

The OP said that it was done by a kid who had been bullying her child for a while. This wasn't a case of a friend doing it to a friend. Sounds like to me that the bullying has escalated and it is time to take further action. OP has already observed the bullying and waited to see if it would get to the next level. In my opinion, NOW it *has* gotten to the "next level".
She never said that. She said that her ds gets picked on, but didn't say by the pantser.

She never said that. She said that her ds gets picked on, but didn't say by the pantser.

If it makes a difference, this isn't an isolated incident. He gets picked on a lot... though this is the first "pants" incident.

Oops...you are right. She never said that it was the same kid. My mistake.

OP, I am assuming that whoever "pantsed" your son is one of the kids that picks on him as well. If I am wrong, by all means please correct me and clear this up.

Also, I am assuming that even if it isn't the exact same kid, it is one of a particular group in the same school, and the administration hasn't done anything about it in the past. By all means, please correct me if I am wrong there, too.

So, I am a father of a 25 year old, a 20 year old and a 3.5 year old. And I once was a teenage boy myself. I have seen a few things. If this is truly a pattern of bullying and the kid is living in fear then the answer is simple, you need to report it to the school. If it is somewhat of an isolated incident, you should let him work it out for himself. Although many might disagree with me, the best solution to an incident like this is for the kid to stand up for himself. He will never gain the respect of his peers or gain self respect by having his mommy fighting his battles until he is 20. I know plenty of kids that went that route and I think they are still living in their parent's basement. When a subject like this is brought up, some people can work themselves up into a frenzy with statements like "assault" and "criminal". I think those kind of statements are way over the top and do more harm in these situations than good. Just my two cents.

So, I am a father of a 25 year old, a 20 year old and a 3.5 year old. And I once was a teenage boy myself. I have seen a few things. If this is truly a pattern of bullying and the kid is living in fear then the answer is simple, you need to report it to the school. If it is somewhat of an isolated incident, you should let him work it out for himself. Although many might disagree with me, the best solution to an incident like this is for the kid to stand up for himself. He will never gain the respect of his peers or gain self respect by having his mommy fighting his battles until he is 20. I know plenty of kids that went that route and I think they are still living in their parent's basement. When a subject like this is brought up, some people can work themselves up into a frenzy with statements like "assault" and "criminal". I think those kind of statements are way over the top and do more harm in these situations than good. Just my two cents.

As a father and also as someone who works with teenagers on a daily basis I agree with 100% of what is written here.

The hard part is you have to walk the line of not fighting their battles and letting them know you as their parent have their back.

My kids know very, very clearly that if they had any problem they couldn't handle I.Would.Put.An.End.To.It.Immediately. We talk about mundane problems to rare instances similar to what you described. We talk about how they could have handled the situation differently, and what they can do going forward. So far talking things through have allowed them to solve future problems going forward.

In your situation it depends on if the pantser in question regularly picks on your kid or if it was an isolated incident. First time thing, talk about it and let it go probably. Not isolated, preferably have your son speak to someone himself. Stuff like this spirals if it isn't cut off early.

On a related note, is 'mooning' people still a thing? That was also really common, though it's possible my friends were all just perverts.

Also this makes me laugh much more than it probably should. In the late 90s it was only somewhat popular in my high school among the guys (one of my friends in particular), and much less popular with the ladies than us guys would have preferred.

I am kind of shocked that your 14 year old son told you that this happened.

Frankly, I sort of expect this type of behavior from middle school kids...boys AND girls, because let me tell you, I have had this done to me AND I have done it to others numerous times. My husband and I pants each other all the time as a joke. It's harmless. Geez.

You don't even want to know the types of things middle school boys do when they are NOT at school (or home). If pantsing is the biggest problem your child is facing in middle school, he (and you) should be thanking your lucky stars!

My husband and I pants each other all the time as a joke. It's harmless. Geez.

You don't even want to know the types of things middle school boys do when they are NOT at school (or home). If pantsing is the biggest problem your child is facing in middle school, he (and you) should be thanking your lucky stars!

And is it harmless when your neighbor does it? Is it okay when your neighbor does it? Because I'm assuming your husband has some sort of permission to remove your clothes. But why do these children have permission to remove the OP's son's clothes? At what age is it okay to remove someone else's clothes and what age isn't it? So 13/14/15 (OP's son's classmates) is okay, but is it okay at 16? or 17? or 18? or whatever. No. If you do something, anything, no matter how little it is, with the purpose of making fun of someone, of hurting someone IT IS WRONG. And as a parent, it's your duty to teach your kids to be decent people. I'm amazed by the number of people here that think intentionally hurting someone else (because emotional hurting someone is still hurting them) is okay.

It's not okay. There's a whole lot I could be posting here, but quite frankly the attitude of some of the people on this thread is disgusting. Parents thinking bullying is okay? No. Stop making excuses. It shouldn't happen. All of your 'oh that's just how it is' is why kids kill themselves. Because you won't take it seriously. Step up to the plate and teach your kids and expect more.

There's a whole lot of stuff that have gone around in past years and it doesn't mean it's right. At some point you have to say stop.

And yeah, I'm expecting this thread to be locked. But really. I'm truly astounded and disgusted by a lot of people's excuses and behavior.

INHO only , I see this as would I want some one to pants me? No one has the right to touch me in that manner. I would not want my kids to think it is okay for someone to do this to them. You can do what you think is best, just voicing my opinion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter