• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OT: Chicago

Memorable things for me, and some others here, in no particular order:

-Check out the Museum Campus and visit any you find interest in, they are all excellent.
-Visit the Signature Lounge on the top of the John Hancock building for cocktails with a great view.
-If you end up at a Sox game, go to Ferro's a few blocks down for some great homemade Italian Ice.
-Try Lawrence Fisheries for low-key dining with great seafood.
-Visit The Swedish Bakery early in the day for some excellent treats.
-If you've not been, see The Blue Man Group at the Briar Street Theatre.
-If you like sausage and cornmeal, go to Gino's East and get a deep-dish pizza with the sausage patty (not crumbled).
-Walk/shop the Magnificent Mile, and stop by Garrett's for some sinfully rich cheese and caramel popcorn. If there's a line halfway down the block, that's a good sign so tuff it out.
-Go to Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Co. for a Pizza Pot Pie.
-If you like dim sum, go to Phoenix in Chinatown. Get there early.
-If your DH is a car fan, swing by 834 North Rush street to see various Bentleys, Lamborghinis, and possibly a Bugatti Veyron (only $1.6 million).

A lot I'm missing I'm sure. Please take some pics and post a TR for all of us :thumbsup2

Did you know that Chicago has the ONLY Garmin store in the entire world? We were walking in Chicago with our Garmin trying to find some place and it wasn't working right and we looked up and there it was...we were like hm...so we took it in and they did some updates and it was working fine after that. I asked the worker how many stores there were in the US or what other cities had them and he said "you're standing in the only Garmin store in the entire world." I was like "woah." It's right on Michigan avenue so I don't think they could have picked a better location.

Anyway..yes..the Wrigley Field tour was very cool and if you get a great tour guide you get to know all sorts of interesting information about the park and different things that have happened. We got VERY VERY lucky and had the official Cubs historian to be one of the guides on our tour and we could ask him any question about the park or the cubs or anything and Cubs related and he would know it. Great trip!

I'd also suggest checking out what is going on at Millennium Park....DW and I would always enjoy going down there and taking in the atmosphere of the city. It's a great view of the buildings and there's often concerts or something going on there to get into. Also check out and see if there are any festivals. I forget when you're going, but i know they usually have the Taste of Chicago the end of June.

You all are making me want to go back. Chicago has long been one of my top 3 favorite cities.

I lived there for 4 years...this is my first year away from Chicago so I'm REALLY wanting to go back lol

Christmas was the hardest time away from Chicago though because I loved walking down Michigan avenue and looking at the lights and seeing all the people and hearing the music. Then of course ending the evening with dinner at the Cheesecake Factory! :)

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all these suggestions! Hopefully we will get some more to mull over!

Please don't take my comment about the hotel wrong.

You have nothing to worry about. I used to stay at the Westin Stonebriar in North Dallas for business meetings. The rooms at the one in Chicago were not that nice (few are) but they were still very comfortable and clean.

Ahhh...I have stayed at the Westin Stonebriar and it is AMAZING! I can understand what you mean. Thanks for everyone's assurance that we will be happy with the hotel.

I have a feeling we will end up and both Gino's and Malnati's. I have pulled the menu from both and he thinks Gino's looks good and I prefer than Malnati's menu. Gotta admit the spinach bread appetizer is calling me! So I think we will probably hit both of them.

We won't have time to do all the museum's so we have decided that at some point in the next few months we will look at what exhibits each museum is having and decide the museums we go to based on that. I believe the Science and Industry museum has a Harry Potter exhibit.

Didn't even realize they had carriage rides in town. I think we get in to town mid-afternoon on a Wednesday and then we leave about 2:30 on that Sunday afternoon.

On the Food Network yeseterday Diners, Drive-ins and Dives visited Glenn's Diner in Chicago. I LOVE fish and they serve 16 different guys each day. Anyone been there?

I lived there for 4 years...this is my first year away from Chicago so I'm REALLY wanting to go back lol

Christmas was the hardest time away from Chicago though because I loved walking down Michigan avenue and looking at the lights and seeing all the people and hearing the music. Then of course ending the evening with dinner at the Cheesecake Factory! :)

Come on, the Cheesecake Factory? They are everywhere! I mean I have one 5 minutes away, and I'm in a suburb. LOL!

On the Food Network yeseterday Diners, Drive-ins and Dives visited Glenn's Diner in Chicago. I LOVE fish and they serve 16 different guys each day. Anyone been there?

I saw that yesterday, too. Repeat from another air date. I totally want to check that place out. :)
I didn't realize how close this place is from where I work! Now I really have to check it out. Yum.

We traveled to Chicago and ate at Harry Carey's Resturaunt and Bar....Great Place and lots of Cubs Memorabilia.. One of the best steaks I have ever eaten.....can't recommend it highly enough....

Come on, the Cheesecake Factory? They are everywhere! I mean I have one 5 minutes away, and I'm in a suburb. LOL!

Yea, we went to the one here in Orlando, but it was just different. Maybe it was just because we only went there at Christmas after looking at the lights and walking down Michigan avenue and the train set in the basement of the Hancock building that made the experience much better.

It was something all the students at our college would do after our Christmas banquet. We'd drive up to Chicago and go to the cheesecake factory for cheesecake and look at the lights and what.

Not quite everywhere... there are only 5 in the whole state of IL-- all of which are up near Chicago, so since I grew up 3 hours south of Chicago I only got Cheesecake Factory on special trips to Chicago.

The cheesecake factory downtown Chicago is certainly 10x better than the one that is closest to us here in Orlando... Not sure why, but the atmosphere and the food were much better downtown. But of course it could have something to do with being in my favorite city of Chicago.

Having eaten at several CCF's across the country (SF, Denver, DC, Michigan Ave., Atlanta) the quality (and politeness) varies widely. I won't set foot in the DC one ever again.

Have to say I agree with this. We have four here in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex that I can think of. I haven't been very impressed with them at all. We will not be planning to eat here. I do have to admit I like their cheesecake, just not their food or the setting. The ones here are LOUD! But when we lived 5 minutes from one we would get cheesecake to go on occasion.

I am going to pull the menu to Harry Carey's and see what we think.

I am a big fan of Fogo de Chao - we don't have one here - and there is one not far from the Westin. But then there is also one in Dallas so it might not be all that big of a deal to you.

It's not cheap - but we very much enjoy going to the one in D.C. as a special occasion restaurant.

If you look at their map it's obvious they put them where there are tons of people or there are lots of tourists.....and in those areas they put a lot of them.

I was simply saying we went there once a year during Christmas to eat because it was somewhere we never went except during that time. It's also not a cheap restaurant either because when DW and I go there we always spent at least $60 before tip. It's not like I said Chili's or Applebees...

I am a big fan of Fogo de Chao - we don't have one here - and there is one not far from the Westin. But then there is also one in Dallas so it might not be all that big of a deal to you.

It's not cheap - but we very much enjoy going to the one in D.C. as a special occasion restaurant.

Have never been to the one in Dallas. Sounds like the Texas de Brazil in Fort Worth, we haven't been there either. We will have to put it on our "to think about list".

Thanks for the recommendation!

-Go to Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Co. for a Pizza Pot Pie.

Thanks for reminding about this place. I saw it years ago on the Travel Network during a Pizza show. I really would like to go try their Pot Pie Pizza and they are less than 2 miles from the hotel. DH doesn't sound thrilled about it but he can eat a sandwich!

He would like to see a Cubs game but they are out of town while we are there. At this point I think we would like to do an boat tour of the city...any suggestions on that one?

We plan on getting in a museum or two. If you had to limit it to two which would you recommend? Have a friend that recently moved there and if I remember correctly she was unimpressed with the Shedd Aquarium. Any thoughts on that?

We are going to be on Michigan Avenue. I guess my main concern at this point is dining options. Breakfast? Lunch? Dinner? This is our 20th anniversary so we plan on a few nice dinners.

Not too sure where DH heard about Malnati's. I think he might have seen it on the Food Network. I will tell him what your thoughts on that. I think he said something about need a hot dog? I swear the reason he wants to come to Chicago is to eat!

Had a friend recommend the Ralph Lauren restaurant? Not too sure about that one.

We've lived in Chicago all of our 50+ years--don't eat at Malnati's. There is definitely better pizza than that. Gino's East is very good. I've worked downtown Chicago for 34+ years and these are some of the places DH and I have gone to when he comes to pick me up from work. Lawry's The Prime Rib (100 E. Ontario), Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Sone Crab (60 East Grand), Berghoff's (german), 17 West Adams and Catch 35, 35 West Wacker Drive. If you want to take a cab, Rosebud on Taylor Street is very good Italian.

Is there a pizza place other than Gino's East that you would recommend?

Giordano's, 730 N Rush St., is my favorite after Gino's East. Now, maybe the Malnati's downtown Chicago is good, but our oldest son ordered it about two months ago out in the burbs where we live and both my DH and I hated it (and my DH says he has never liked it).

Giordano's, 730 N Rush St., is my favorite after Gino's East. Now, maybe the Malnati's downtown Chicago is good, but our oldest son ordered it about two months ago out in the burbs where we live and both my DH and I hated it (and my DH says he has never liked it).

We would definitely be eating at the downtown location. We will give Giordano's a look. At some point DH is going to have to remember that I don't really like pizza that much! I think I'll be okay as long as the places we go have other items on the menu.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter