OT Check kids conversations on AIM

Ilovethatmouse

Earning My Ears
I know that this is a little off topic but was wondering if anyone can tell me how to check the conversations that my son is having while on AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) Just want to be proactive and monitor his conversations. Thanks for your help. We dont have AOL, just AIM so I dont have full access to parental controls.

Ilovethatmouse said:
I know that this is a little off topic but was wondering if anyone can tell me how to check the conversations that my son is having while on AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) Just want to be proactive and monitor his conversations. Thanks for your help.

I dont believe you can check the actual conversation, but you can set it up to know how long they spend online, what websites they visit, who the IM and email.

I called AOL about this myself. There is no way of monitering AIM. Once they close it, it is gone forever. Aol doesn't even keep a record of it.

the best thing to do is put a program on your computer that save all the msges so you can later veiw them..when my husband wakes up i see what he put on his brothers computer so they could watch what the kids was doing :)

I am not very computer smart so I am not a lot of help with your question but something that every parent can do is to make sure that your computer is in a very high traffic area of your home so that someone can always be looking over his shoulder. Computers in closed bedrooms are just asking for trouble. Also make sure your son knows the safety rules for the internet such as never revealing his age or adress on line. Also keep the lines of comunication open. If you are able to check his messages, let him know you are doing so, do not go behind his back.

It has been about a year ago that my then 12 year old DS and his friend were given some
"cool" sites to check out by an older boy in the neighborhood. Well you can just guess what they were!!! It however lead to some good conversation on internet use.

Jordans' mom

Thre is a program you can install on your computer called ChatWatch. It is hidden so kids cannot find it. It will auctomatically "record" each time aim is opened and then store the logged chat in a file that you have access to. Try a search for ChatWatch on google. I believe you can purchase this program and download it off their site.

In these times we can NEVER be too careful. Good luck.

I recently downloaded and installed a program called Parent Tools for AIM, I found it on Download.com. It had a 10 day free trial, and after that I decided to buy it for 29.95. I believe it is worth it, and have been very surprised by what my DD has been talking about, since it records all message and chat histories. She knows it is on there, but it is hidden from her, and only I have the password to access it.
I can also limit her time on AIM if I wish to. I would definitely reccomend it.

Thank you!!!! I kept trying to tell my husband that we needed to keep an eye on her. Boy was he surprised when I showed him some of the Im's she has been getting from boys.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter