OT- Chandelier in 2 story foyer

PatMcDuck

DIS Veteran
After 18 years of looking at the builder's supplied ugly brass chandelier, I think I convinced DH to replace it. He is building scaffolds to paint up high, so he will "be up there anyway".

I have always wondered what height the light should be hung at. Should it be at the height so you can see the fixture outside the house, through the large window that is above the front outside door? This would be about 3 feet blow where the current one is hanging.

I guess pictures would help, I will try and take some.

Thanks, this is my one shot at this, I don't want to blow it, esp. since we may be trying to sell the house next year.

I'm not sure where it's "supposed" to be, but ours is hung so that you can see it through the window above our front door and it looks right to me.

Some good info here:

http://www.heavenly-lights.com/learn-more.html

It recommends:

At what height should my chandelier hang in my foyer?

The bottom of your foyer chandelier should hang no lower than 7 feet from the floor. When installed in a two-story foyer where the second story looks down on the first, the fixture should not hang below the second floor.

If you plan to hang the chandelier higher to compensate for a two story foyer, you may want to consider adding a couple of inches in diameter to the size of the light fixture so it will not appear too small when hanging.

Also:

http://interiordec.about.com/od/cha...r-The-Right-Height-For-A-Foyer-Chandelier.htm

http://www.lightsunlimitedinc.com/index.cfm?page=article&id=22&ContentType=8

One of the first things we did when we moved into our current home was to replace all of the builder's grade hideous gold colored light fixtures.

I have the same type of foyer, and the same ugly brass builder-supplied chandelier. :laughing: Mine is hanging to about the middle of the window on the 2nd floor.

On a related note, we can't even change the light bulbs in our foyer chandelier, unless we put scaffolding up to do it. Hence, we only turn it on when people come over to visit, so they can see where they're going in the front hallway. We actually call it the "company light". :lmao: We've lived here for almost 9 years, and thankfully the original light bulbs are still working. When they finally burn out, I'm definitely hiring someone to come in and replace the whole fixture.

Ours is hung so it shows from the street thru our window that is above the front door. So if you are on the second floor it is above the window. We live in a newer developement and all of the houses with the above door window are like this. The other houses lights can also be seen from the street.

We had our ugly builder provided one replaced years ago. One thing to note, those fixtures can be darn heavy and can't be hung in the usually box provided. We had to had an electrician install it and they had to hang it from the stud in the ceiling, something we couldn't have done ourselves. We even had a "brace box" installed when the house was built and that still wasn't enough to hold it. You don't want your fixture falling from not being properly installed.

Also, ours is hung to be seen through the window we have in our foyer......

Depending on the type of fixture you choose, also be aware of the possibility that it may cast a shade line on the walls. This is especially common with dish-type fixtures that cast their light mostly upward.

If so, be sure to check the height when it is dark outside, so that you can make sure that the shadow cast by the direction of the globes doesn't vertically cut off your walls in an odd spot. With this type of fixture, you need to get the height set so that that shadow line hits right where the second floor meets the first, or where the wall meets the ceiling.

Our neighbors have one that automatically goes up and down so they can change the lightbulbs. We can never replace the bulbs in ours (even with the tall ladder) that might be something to consider. There is a company that changes the bulbs for you (our realtor said) hate to think of the cost. We've been here over 3 yrs and so far only one bulb is out.

I am an electrician and there is no correct height but it normally looks best if they are center of the window!

Those lights can be quite heavy but most boxes are rated at around 50 pounds, some actually allow you to mount it on the joist which makes the weight little issue.

They do make lifts which are awesome but sorta pricey. We have installed several and everyone loves them because you can easily change bulbs and things like that.

Yeah we had to buy a light changing ladder 10 or 12 ft. It was expensive. Other than the lift this was this cheapest thing to change the bulbs with.

We have a 12 ft ladder and it doesn't quite reach, any idea on how much the lift ones cost?

On a related note, we can't even change the light bulbs in our foyer chandelier, unless we put scaffolding up to do it. Hence, we only turn it on when people come over to visit, so they can see where they're going in the front hallway. We actually call it the "company light". :lmao: We've lived here for almost 9 years, and thankfully the original light bulbs are still working. When they finally burn out, I'm definitely hiring someone to come in and replace the whole fixture.

We cannot reach our ugly brass light either, but we use it ALL THE TIME, on and off all day and still have the original bulbs too! 17 years! It is so odd. We also can't clean it. Gross, but is is only slightly dusty because of the design of it.

PS I have realized that the chandelier should be the height of the window above the front door. (I always sort of suspected this, haha) I told DH I was looking at them, and that he would have to extend the length of the chain and cable/wire of any light we buy. Of course, HE said, "do we REALLY need to replace it?" I gasped, and tried to stay calm, and said YES, we DO. (house goes up for sale next year)

DH is a union carpenter, and can handle the issues involved with this installation, but that doesn't mean he will be happy about it. LOL.

I had a professional window washer clean our chandelier and change all the light bulbs. None were burned out but they had been in 21 years. He charged me $45.00. Money well spent.

We, unfortunately, have the builder-supplied gold one and I abhore it! I've finally convinced DH to replace it. I've been looking at ones online from Home Depot and Lowe's. Does anyone know if they install them? We've always had it professionally cleaned so we don't have the ladder for DH to do it, not that he'd do it anyway since he's afraid of heights. :scared:

We were at Lowes yesterday and there was a sign about saving money if you had them professionally installed so I think some of them do!

The lift's are expensive, we installed one for our foyer chandelier when we built our house. Makes it very easy to change lights and clean. Plus at Christmas I hang my huge Mickey icon ear ornaments from it and decorate it with garland. Everyone always ask how did you get those up there? Of course my DH loves showing off the lift and how it works LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter