OT: Budget things to do in Boston

Other historical tours?

If you have a car, and don't mind getting up early, the battle of Lexington is re-enacted every year on Patriot's Day (aka Marathon Day). Unfortuately, its at 5 am, though.
It is budget, however- Free!

Lots of great suggestions. I skimmed, so forgive if someone already mentioned these:

We read Trumpet of the Swan the week before we went, then rode the swan boats. Also, dd loved playing in the Frog Pond and seeing the Make Way for Ducklings statues, all at Boston Common.

DD also read Johnny Tremain, which made it more interesting to see some of the Freedom Trail sights.

Boston By Foot tours does a fabulous, shorter, one for kids called Boston for Little Feet. The leader was awesome, and dd really learned a lot about colonial history and architecture. (so did we!)

There is a series of tour books for kids for different cities. Kidquest We're There, Boston is the one for Boston (duh). I ordered that then kind of built our plans around the sightseeing they had. There are scavenger hunts at the various sights, bus tour bingo, count the flags at the state house, things like that that make historical touring fun for kids. These books are perfect for the 7-10 year old set, and you have a great memento of the trip when they're all filled in. Amazon sells them.

Have fun!

My sister and I used to love visiting the Christian Science center next to the Prudential Center (and right next to where you are staying as well). We are not Christian Scientists, but the tour of the church is free and we just thought it was the most amazing place. They have a good information center and an awesome walk through globe. It has a walkway that goes through it and you can stand in the center and all the countries are illuminated around you. Again- free and very cool. They just re-did the globe about 10 years ago. I haven't been there since the re-do.
Copley Place- the shopping gallery that is on the ground floor of the Copley Westin and Marriott hotels- has a really nice movie theatre inside. About 4 good sized theaters and 6 smallish ones.
I do not know how long your trip is, but the Museaum of Art is about 4 stops from you on the green line trolley. Very cool place for boys- Egyptian mummies and other fun stuff. On weekends they have family days where you can do scavenger hunts through the museum. There website will have a schedule of events.
BTW- I love the aquarium! One of the trolley tour companies has free tickets if you take their tour. Can't remember which one- google Boston Trolley Tours and their website will tell you. HTH!

The Duck Tour IS def worth the money, its a good time for sure!

The Museum of Science is fun, but the best part is the Omnimax Theater (its a dome shaped Imax theater) In my opinion, the Omimax theater is spectacular!

I also agree with the previous poster about teh Fenway Park tour, that is awesome!

One thing that I didnt see mentioned is 5Wits...it's an interactive experience- you walk through and play along with the game as archaeologists looking for a lost pharaoh's tomb. It takes about 45 minutes to an hour depending on the group. It's really an adventure and perfect for you'r kids ages..(my girls are 6 and 8 and thought it was great). It is right behind Fenway Park. Something different. Have fun!

If you are up for a short train ride (20 mins or so ) Salem is a great budget place to do some walking around and there is alot to learn here is the link also I believe they have a pass that reduces the prices of addmissions to places like the witch museum etc... Here you go http://www.salem.org/

Oh shoot! I'm glad I foudn out before our next trip, though! Shoot, walk over there and see it closed- I'd have a couple of ugly kiddos!!

If you want to see the FAO Bear, they donated it to the Floating Hospital for Children at New England Medical Center - I can see it from my office window - and only two blocks from the Emperor's Garden.

My sister and I used to love visiting the Christian Science center next to the Prudential Center (and right next to where you are staying as well). We are not Christian Scientists, but the tour of the church is free and we just thought it was the most amazing place. They have a good information center and an awesome walk through globe. It has a walkway that goes through it and you can stand in the center and all the countries are illuminated around you. Again- free and very cool.

This is called The Mapparium and I agree that it is a great place to visit.

http://www.marybakereddylibrary.org/exhibits/mapparium.jhtml

A few things I could think of....

If you own a membership to a local musuem many are reciporical in Boston (ours is with the Science Musuem and the Childrens Musuem).

Not sure if the swan boats are open yet for when you are going... but the kids always enjoy that.

Fanueil Marketplace... lots of street performers... fun to watch. Dontations are optional.

Also, there is something called the CityPass, which gets you into many attractions for a set price (and a good deal-although I see they just raised the price).

here are a couple links.....

http://www.citypass.com/city/boston/next.html?id=RDMcnaiL

or

http://www.gobostoncard.com/

We have done the $1 Friday nights at the Childrens Musuem and it was fanatastic as well!

As said, there is the aquarium, Museum of Science and Children's Museum. Nothing budget about any of those, lol (though if you have a passport membership from another science or children's museum, you can get into MoS or CM free.) Out of the 3, our choice would be MoS for your ages.

Bolding above is mine- we're members of a museum here, and getting into MOS and children's museum FREE! If your kids like museums, I'd look into a local museum and see if they have a reciprocal deal with Boston museums..

Our kids are almost the same ages and our trip is the week before yours!
We're doing a side trip to Plymouth, our kids are REALLY into history. Skipping Salem-not into witches. Also a freebie- the musuem of fine arts is free Wednesday nights.

We're eating at Fire and Ice (Berkeley and St James), maybe McCormick and Schmidts (Faneuil), maybe South Street Diner (Kneeland St), somewhere in the North End. I'll bump up my thread for you- there's a couple more ideas in there.

Bolding above is mine- we're members of a museum here, and getting into MOS and children's museum FREE! If your kids like museums, I'd look into a local museum and see if they have a reciprocal deal with Boston museums..

Our kids are almost the same ages and our trip is the week before yours!
We're doing a side trip to Plymouth, our kids are REALLY into history. Skipping Salem-not into witches. Also a freebie- the musuem of fine arts is free Wednesday nights.

We're eating at Fire and Ice (Berkeley and St James), maybe McCormick and Schmidts (Faneuil), maybe South Street Diner (Kneeland St), somewhere in the North End. I'll bump up my thread for you- there's a couple more ideas in there.

Yes, we have a local Science center membership and will get into the MOS free!

Thank you for the restaurant names, I will check into them.

I will also check into Fenway and the duck tours!

Kidquest We're There, Boston

There are scavenger hunts at the various sights, bus tour bingo, count the flags at the state house, things like that that make historical touring fun for kids. These books are perfect for the 7-10 year old set, and you have a great memento of the trip when they're all filled in. Amazon sells them.

Have fun!

I just ordered these! Thanks!

Disers are the BEST!!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter