OT: Broome County NY? We might be moving...(vestal)

moopdog

Dreaming of Disney....
We will probably be moving to the Binghamton area in the next 10-12 months and we are just now starting to look into schools and towns to consider. We still need to be near enough to my husband's job (in PA) so ideally we will be close to the NY/PA border. I belive it is called Vestal Center. How are the schools; taxes; people; cost of living, etc. Anyone familiar with this area?

Thanks.;)

Where in PA does your DH work?

I live in Kirkwood and work in Conklin, both of which are not too far from the PA border. There are many towns within a decent drive to PA, but it depends which roads he'll need to drive to better determine which area is best for you.

Dawn

Welcome! We live in Tioga County (right Next to Broome- Binghamton). We love living here! We live in a small rural town called Newark Valley, it has really great schools and the cost living isn't bad. We are actually 20 minutes from the Sayre PA/ NY border. If you have a desire for your kids to live in nice area close to stores etc Vestal is your best bet. We have the what is called the Vestal Parkway which all the stores are on. All of us from Tioga drive their every week to do errands. Because we live in a rural area Vestal is where all the stores are. Another nice part of to live in is Appalachian, parts are actually Vestal school district. Tioga terrace is the large really nice housing development up their. I am not sure what you are looking for housing wise, we love living in the country but it is not for everyone. Let me know if you have anymore questions I have lived here my whole life! :goodvibes

Actually, he'll be driving to a almost non-existent town of Mehoopany. It's hard to explain where it is exactly...down 267 to 87, if that helps.

Welcome! We live in Tioga County (right Next to Broome- Binghamton). We love living here! We live in a small rural town called Newark Valley, it has really great schools and the cost living isn't bad. We are actually 20 minutes from the Sayre PA/ NY border. If you have a desire for your kids to live in nice area close to stores etc Vestal is your best bet. We have the what is called the Vestal Parkway which all the stores are on. All of us from Tioga drive their every week to do errands. Because we live in a rural area Vestal is where all the stores are. Another nice part of to live in is Appalachian, parts are actually Vestal school district. Tioga terrace is the large really nice housing development up their. I am not sure what you are looking for housing wise, we love living in the country but it is not for everyone. Let me know if you have anymore questions I have lived here my whole life! :goodvibes

I was really hoping to find someone who lives there!! If you follow 267 from vestal to a little town called Lawton - I currently live about 25 minutes from there going South. I am soon to be working in Binghamton and my husband will keep his job, so we need a half-way point. We NEED to live in the country though. Right now we live in the middle of nowhere (dirt road and all) and can see no other neighbors from our home. That's kind of what we're looking for up there. I am very concerned about schools though. Right now my son has 10 kids in his class, and I am worried about going to a "city" school. Are there any schools besides Vestal? If not, then what do you know about Appalachain? I am not wanting a development though. What about Choconut? I know we pass through there just before Vestal Center. Thanks!!

I grew up in Newark Valley, graduated from Endicott high school (across the river from Vestal), married a man who graduated from Vestal, and live in Johnson City (about 10 minutes away) so I know quite a bit about the area ;). Overall, Broome is a great place to live- good schools, nice parks, lots of things for kids/families to do. Vestal might not be as rural as you're looking for, but the schools are excellent- possibly the best in the area. To find someplace like where you live now (dirt road, no neighbors) you'll probably need to go a bit further out. Try looking on the outskirts of Apalachian, Owego, Newark Valley or Maine. I know that the schools are all pretty good, but NV is the only one of those I've attended.

I'm curious what concerns you have about your son and "city" schools. Is it larger classes? safety? that he won't fit in? The Binghamton school district is the only one with a real safety issue, and the only one I would classify as a "city" school (metal detectors, police presence- I wouldn't send my kid there). The other schools are really more like "suburb" schools- safe and friendly.

My DH grew up in Endicott, went to UE. My In-laws still live in Endicott near (not in) Pine Knoll/Crestview Heights, technically they are in Tioga County, but they have an Endicott mailing address. It's a rural area, there is a farm just up the road from my in-laws, and another just past that.

I agree with the above poster who says that the schools around there are perfectly safe and quite good, my SIL and her husband and child currently live in Binghampton proper, but will move to Endicott or Vestal before our nephew begins school.

Anne

Coconut is a nice a little town not sure of the school though... I have heard those little PA towns are nice Brackney, Silver lake etc. They would definitely have the country living your family is used to. And you are not far from Vestal; I have to agree they have a great school system. My only concern with Vestal is I have heard if your parents are not somewhat wealthy you are a nobody in that school. I don't know if this is true or not. Outskirt of Appalachian is rural as well, and most of it is Vestal School District. Some is a Owego Appalachian, which I have never been impressed by. I have several daycare children that attend Owego and I see that Newark Valley is far superior! With that said I would imagine that in smaller rural PA schools, as in Newark Valley, school districts are large because they cover several towns, and class size me be large. No offense to the person that posted about Union Endicott school but your kids would probably have shell shock if you lived their and they are used to Rural PA schools! UE has a huge school system with many children, most have been raised in Endicott not on dirt roads!

I lived there for the first seven years we were married. I would recommend Vestal, Endwell--the schools are better there than Endicott. If you like rural, Newark Valley as well. It was a great place to raise young kids--safe, enough to keep them busy as well. Nice people, fair cost of living, etc. I wanted to move back "home" so when the opportunity was right we bolted back to the Bufflao area.

I live north of the area, in Greene (about 45 minutes from the PA border). I don't think you'll have any trouble finding something "rural" in this part of NY. Vestal is really booming right now with the building up of the Vestal Parkway! Lots of businesses have come in and more are coming.
Good luck finding something, it's a really nice area!

No offense to the person that posted about Union Endicott school but your kids would probably have shell shock if you lived their and they are used to Rural PA schools! UE has a huge school system with many children, most have been raised in Endicott not on dirt roads!

No offense taken, but I did go to elementary/middle school in Newark Valley and transferred to Endicott...it wasn't that big a deal. Also, Vestal has about the same number of students as UE. The schools are very similar except they're on opposite sides of the river and people in Vestal have more money ;).

Jumping in here. I grew up in Montrose, PA which is 25 miles south of Vestal. I know where Mehoopany is. Just wanted to throw out there that Choconut is part of the Montrose school district. My suggestion would be, if you are going to that area and are buying a house, stay in Pennsylvania. The taxes are so much less than in New York. The Montrose schools have a very good reputation. The only problem would be that once the kids are in high school they would go to Montrose to school.(a bit of a drive) Choconut only goes to 6th grade.
Good luck with your possible move and let me know if I can help you with any other questions about the Montrose area.:)

Good luck with your possible move and let me know if I can help you with any other questions about the Montrose area.:)

I am actually familiar with the town of Montrose and have a question - PLEASE don't take this personally. But I have always thought and said "my kids would never go to Montrose School". Now looking back, I don't really know why I got that impression. It just seemed like a school that was kind of rough around the edges and not really known for anything (academic or sport). NOW with that said: Please tell me I'm wrong and that it's a great school and change my mind about it. We have already ruled out Elk Lake because they have no football - my DH is a typical American man who believes his son must play football :rolleyes: .

So that does leave us in Montrose if we stay on the PA border. I really no nothing about the district though. I just know that they usually get snow before anyone else!

BTW - if anyone is familiar with the area - I actually live in the Wyalusing Valley. ;)

Watch out for Endicott. There is the chemical "plumb" from IBM that is in the water. There are now pockets of cancer showing up.

Lawton or Choconut are about your half way point. Lawton is in Elk Lake School District and Choconut is in Montrose. From Birchardville up is Montrose, from there down is Elk Lake. Then the line joggs to the east a little and goes down again past 706.

If there is anthing else I can do to help, pm me!

Hope that helps!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter