OT--bought ebay cell phone -no charger

pilgrimage

DIS Veteran
I bought a cell phone to replace mine which broke.
I paid using paypal within an hour of auction's closed.
It's 2 year old model, with less than 60 hours use, according
to the description.

When it arrived today, it had no charger. I cannot use it. I wrote
the seller to please mail it.
The seller said that there is none, but that he probably
should have put a disclaimer that there is none.
He suggested looking on ebay for a charger.

Well, my local stores are not selling for this older
model. I have 2 other sizes of Motorola chargers,neither
of which work. Ebay has some for about 10 dollars
including shipping.

I feel I have a recourse for buying a product which I can't use
and can't even test for its functionality within the 3 days allowed
for comment.

ADVICE, please. Thank you. I have 7 years of 100% positives.

I would ask the seller to refund your money and return the product based on the fact he omitted an extemely pertinent detail. If he refuses, you can go through paypal and dispute the item, that it can't be tested to be certain it is in working order as described and that he failed to list all necessray details in his auction. But I'd give him a chance to rectify it before doing that. I think it is 45 days to file with paypal, anyone know for sure?

Did you check Walmart or Target they always seem to have older chargers for around $10 .
If the auction stated just phone or didn't state charger included then you might have trouble filing a claim.Also if you have a Flea Market that permenent they always have chargers at those as well.

What model is it for?... I have an old Motorola charger lying around here somewhere....

I have an old i90c. I've had it for several years. I can get car chargers and regular chargers for it at Walmart. Just look on the back of the package and find your phone. Shouldn't be a problem. :thumbsup2

Thanks for your ideas. Target does not carry one for
this older model, but I'll give Wal-mart a try. It is
v90x.

Thanks.

If it wasn't in the listing that it included the charger, why would you assume it included one?

pilgrimage said:
Thanks for your ideas. Target does not carry one for
this older model, but I'll give Wal-mart a try. It is
v90x.

Thanks.

That might be the kind that I had last. I'll check when I get home tonight and let you know. If I can find the charger I'll mail it to you. Let you know soon.

I agree... assuming it had a charger was your fault. You should have asked before you bid if the auction did not mention one. Live and learn! ;)

personally, i would file a SNAD claim with paypal. that way it freezes the money in his account and holds it until he either comes up with the charger or refunds you. you most likely will have to return it WITH delivery confirmation in order for paypal to return your money to you. it's not your fault he didn't word his listing correctly.

nephthys43 said:
personally, i would file a SNAD claim with paypal. that way it freezes the money in his account and holds it until he either comes up with the charger or refunds you. you most likely will have to return it WITH delivery confirmation in order for paypal to return your money to you. it's not your fault he didn't word his listing correctly.

What? Why on earth would a seller be at fault if the listing didn't list say a charger was included and the buyer expected one? Did the picture show a charger? No. Read Read Read the listing before you bid on something.

nephthys43 said:

This is simply ridiculous! Don't spread inaccurate info or unfair suggestions, please! It makes selling on Ebay difficult for those of us who understand and follow the rules! :crazy:

MyZoeJane said:
This is simply ridiculous! Don't spread inaccurate info or unfair suggestions, please! It makes selling on Ebay difficult for those of us who understand and follow the rules! :crazy:

but it's not inaccurate info. the seller himself told her that he forgot to say it wasn't included. if i had done that, i would have immediately offered a full refund if the phone was returned to me. i would never tell a buyer to go find it herself. i've been a seller and buyer on ebay for 5+ years. i know the rules as well.

nephthys43 said:
but it's not inaccurate info. the seller himself told her that he forgot to say it wasn't included. if i had done that, i would have immediately offered a full refund if the phone was returned to me. i would never tell a buyer to go find it herself. i've been a seller and buyer on ebay for 5+ years. i know the rules as well.

Yes the seller said he forgot to say it wasn't included But it wasn't listed on the auction so why would you assume it was included?

summerrluvv said:
so why would you assume it was included?

because when you buy a cell phone from any other place, it comes with a charger. like when you buy a pair of sneakers, you assume they come with the laces.

if the seller listed this as a working phone in his listing but does not have a charger; how does he know it works? and as rainy~daze states, it cannot be checked to see if it is in working order without charging it. how else would pilgrimage check to see if it is in fact a working phone and not some piece of junk the guy just wanted to unload.

if she doesn't manage to find a charger for it before the 45 days is up, what recourse would she have then?

nephthys43 said:
because when you buy a cell phone from any other place, it comes with a charger. like when you buy a pair of sneakers, you assume they come with the laces.

if the seller listed this as a working phone in his listing but does not have a charger; how does he know it works? and as rainy~daze states, it cannot be checked to see if it is in working order without charging it. how else would pilgrimage check to see if it is in fact a working phone and not some piece of junk the guy just wanted to unload.

if she doesn't manage to find a charger for it before the 45 days is up, what recourse would she have then?

Ebay isn't like every other place. Every other place doesn't sell used items. Perhaps the guy tested it with his own charger from the same model phone or a friends charger. His auction didn't state it came with a charger. I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I would never assume something is included if it's not listed in the auction. That's like buying a dollhouse and assuming the furniture is included or buying a coloring book and assuming you'll get crayons, or buying a blow up pool and assume you'll get an air pump, and the list could go on.

I would not have assumed it had a charger UNLESS the charger was listed as well or in the photo. That's why they let you ask questions before buying. I sold a VERY popular remote control type toy at Christmas (Brand new in sealed package) and the guy was mad it didn't come with a battery. He knew the ones sold at TRU did not have batteries but thought this one would...why? The photo showed the battery not included sign on the package yet he still complained. He got $100.00 toy for $50.00!
Back on topic, we have gotten several chargers on Ebay and they were very inexpensive.

Check Staples as well. I just bought another charger for my older Motorola. They had many kinds of chargers there for just about every model.

nephthys43 said:
Actually he said he should have put a disclaimer..but he really didn't have to. Some people buy their phones on ebay, because they have all the other parts, and have no use for another charger...it's just the phone that no longer works. It's really up to the buyer to check what is included, if something isn't mentioned in an auction. The "rules" say, you have to have what you advertised..and he didn't advertise a charger.

all i know is that i read this guy's auctions and i smell scam. he works for a company who sells other people's item on ebay, yet he says everything is his or belonged to someone in his family. he states that the phone has been in storage for "a year and a half" and that it "works great". he then states that he's not responsible if it doesn't work. it just seems like a bait and switch to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter