OT Barrie Ontario

Rubbertops

DIS Veteran
We are going to Barrie for Family Day. I booked the snow tubing package at the Super 8 Hotel. We can go to Snow Valley or Horseshoe Valley. Which would be better? We are 2 adults and 2 kids 4 and 8.

Where is a good place to eat? I found a coupon for the Market Buffet and Grill but I am leary of buffets.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I can't speak to Horseshoe (I know that's a great resort) but we did a family tubing day at Snow Valley and had so so much fun.

We didn't spend the night but we did eat at I think it was Jack Astor's?
Not sure but there are so many chains there.
xoxoxoxoxoxo

Both resorts are good and I've heard good things about snow tubing at both. Horseshoe is the bigger of the two and offers a lot more than just skiing and snowtubing, ie snowshoeing, cross country skiing, so it tends to be very busy. Snow Valley is closer to the city so it would require less driving to and from the resort from the hotel.

Just to let you know, the Super 8 is on the south end of the city and both resorts are north. There are a few short cuts/side streets to take to each resort, but the 400 highway goes right through the city, so it's easy to get around.

There are a lot of great "non-chain" restaurants (and stores) down town, but if you're going with kids you may not want to go to those. There is an Eastside Marios right beside the Super 8. Nearby there is also a Jack Astors, Boston Pizza, Kelsey's, Montana's and a Casey's in the Barrie Molson Centre (where the Barrie Colts play). There is also Retro Planet just across the street from the hotel which serves pizza and burgers but has an arcade similar to a Dave and Busters but for younger audiences (I'm not sure how old your kids are). The Market Buffet is okay but I haven't heard too many good things about it since it opened. There is also a Cora's in the area if you were thinking about places to eat for breakfast.

We always snowtube at Snow Valley. As for Market Buffet and Grill, it is a decent restauraunt. We have enjoyed them a few times and have never been disappointed. It is nothing extremely fancy, but there is a very good selection of foods and a nice desert bar. Also a nice salad bar, but I never seem to get there.....:thumbsup2 Very similar to Golden Coral in the US.

We didn't go on Family day due to weather, so we went this past weekend. It was no problem to change the reservation.

The Super 8 hotel was great. Nice pool for the kids and a nice breakfast with eggs, bacon and waffles included.

We had dinner at the Mandarin. We went at 4:30 and by 5 it was packed! We enjoyed it.

We had lunch the next day at Jack Astors but it was just okay. I thought it was a bit expensive for just so-so food.

We got to Snow Valley with our tubbing vouchers (stay and tube pkg at Super 8) and waited for 30 minutes in a huge line to get tickets. Then they sold out. We decided not to wait around any longer. So that was kind of too bad that we missed out on that... We may try to get back sometime.

It was a nice getaway. Thanks for your comments and advice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter