OT: Are there any elementary school teachers here? I need some help! :\

WDWGirl91

Earning My Ears
My main reason for asking specifically for elementary school teachers is that I'll be going into college soon and I would like to be an elementary school teacher (preferrably 1st grade). My mother jokes that I was "born to be a teacher" because children seem to always gravitate towards me (I think it's because I look awfully young for my age, not to mention my height (5'). People always assume I'm 13, 14 years old when I'll be officially an adult next month :laughing:). I don't know of anyone who is a teacher, so I thought it would be okay if I asked here on the Dis.:)

I have a few questions for those of you who don't mind answering them. You don't have to answer all of the questions if you don't want to, you can always just answer the questions you're most comfortable with:
  • What grade do you teach?
  • What is it like teaching them? What things in particular do you teach them? Are the students cooperative most of the time?
  • Public school vs. Private School: Which do you teach at? What is the atmosphere like?
  • Does the school pay for the materials you will need over the course of the year or do you need to buy most of the materials yourself?
  • What made you decide to become an elementary school teacher over a middle or high school teacher?
  • What are your overall thoughts on your job? Or just anything else you would like to add that you think would be beneficial for me to know before going into this field.

I'm sorry for asking so many questions. I just would like to know as much information as possible before deciding that being an elementary teacher is exactly what I'd like to do.

I'd greatly appreciate any help I could get. Thank you so much in advance!:goodvibes

I teach third grade at a small Catholic school in eastern Iowa, and I love my job! Our school is pretty small so the teachers know all the students and call them by name. I love our small atmosphere.

We are very fortunate that we have a Home and School Association that help us pay for supplies at the beginning of each school year. They give us between $100-$250 to spend on our classroom. It helps! I have never taught in a public school so I don't know how that works there.

I have always loved school and being around kids. First, I had a BA in broadcasting, but after I got married my husband encouraged me to go back and get my teaching degree. And, I am so glad I did! I am also very fortunate because my daughters go to my school and I get to see them every day.

If you have a passion for being around kids and watching them learn, then I would say teaching is for you! My husband still thinks I'm crazy because in July I actually get excited to see school supplies in the stores! I just can't wait to get back to school and get started. I love my job! :yay:

I'm not sure if I covered all of your questions, but I hope this helps! Do what is in your heart!:goodvibes

While not a teacher myself, my college roommate was an elementary education major. Just be aware that you may not land a job right after you graduate, and probably not in your preferred grade. My former roommate is trying to get a part-time position in a reading program right now because even with her practical experience (she was a student teacher for 5 months, and one of those months she was alone in the classroom (treated as a substitute) because her teacher had surgery), it isn't always enough.

Teachers are always wanted, but I always hear about how hard it is to actually get the first job.

My husband is a teacher in a public school. He teaches at the older end of Elementary School (usually 5th or 6th grade). He just finished a Masters degree in Education Technology.

He loves his job, and has had to move several times as my company has moved me. He has never had a hard time finding a new position.

It is a great job in that you touch the lives of children every day and is very rewarding. It is also a good job when you have a family- very steady hours and summers off if you want them.

Once you start teaching and find your own teaching style, I think you will find your students to be cooperative and a wonderful experience.

I think if you love working with children, it is a great career. Plus, there are other options in the realm of education- principal, guidance counselor, curriculum development, etc that you can move into.

Hope that helps. I agree with IATink, you have to follow what is in your heart!:lovestruc

WEll, I was for 20 years until they closed our small school...LOVE IT!!! I love the first grade. I get to see the children grow so much!!

Let's see if I can answer some questions for you.

1) I have taught first, kindergarten and pre-k. I love first the best
2) Depending on the dynamic of the classroom ..I teach reading (at least 3 reading groups) math (at least 2 math groups) Science, Spelling, Soc. Studies and Tech. Most of hte time the children are wonderful.
3)I taught in a private school. It was small. I knew every child (all 115) of them by name. I loved it. I liked knowing the families and siblings...it was a nice small school and I gave parents my home # etc.
4) I had a $50 budget to buy materials. I bought quite a bit myself. As the years go on you accumulate things. Scholastic book orders help you get books, garage sales help.
5) I love my job. I have known since 3rd grade that I wanted to teach young children. I would suggest you visit a school to see what grade lever you seem to enjoy. Some people find younger grades frustrating. You will be teaching children at all levels. Some come in reading, others do not know all their letters. They need help finding their page #, tying shoes, wiping noses etc....DH teaches High School he says he loves the older children and how they are independent.

I have my BS in El Ed with dual certification in Early Childhood Ed. I graduated 18 years ago, when finding a teaching job was next to impossible. I subbed for a while, then went into retail, and then got married and had children. I was a stay at home mom for 11 years.

When my youngest entered first grade, I decided it was time to figure out what I was going to do with my life. At the same time, the wonderful preschool at our church decided to add a 2 year old program. It was like the job was sent from heaven! I applied, and was offered the lead teacher position. What started as a 2 morning a week position has expanded into a 4 morning a week position. The class is THAT popular!

I honestly never thought I'd enjoy teaching 2 year olds, but I love it! It's hard work (12 two year olds....just picture it!) but it's also very rewarding. We get to see them change from toddlers in September to pre-schoolers in May. I also love my work environment. Small, Christian, private, church affliliated school. I have an awesome director who gives us the freedom to do what we deem appropriate, and we plan our own curriculum. The parents are fantastic, and most of the staff have been there 10 years or longer. We have 3 or 4 teachers who have been there for 30 years!! That says something about a pre-school program!

At this point, I don't think I'll be looking to teach K-6 in a district. The money would certainly be better, but I'm very happy where I am, and that is worth more than money sometimes!!:)

What grade do you teach?
First. I'm starting my fourth year (of teaching overall - all 1st grade) on Tuesday.

What is it like teaching them?
Difficult. We are lucky (at my school) in that we only have about 20 students in each primary class, but we do not have an aide. The paperwork is insane. We have to document EVERYTHING. Most of them learn a lot during the school year; some don't and need evaluations but that can be hit or miss at my school.
What things in particular do you teach them?
All core content area subjects: reading, writing, math, social studies, and science. We have state standards that guide exactly WHAT to teach within those content areas. We also have curriculum materials to help.
Are the students cooperative most of the time?
At my school, many of the students are, but we also have many students that are the opposite of cooperative.

Public school vs. Private School: Which do you teach at? What is the atmosphere like?
I'm at an urban public school. NCLB and budget cuts have made the atmosphere atrocious. People are stealing materials from other teachers. We have to meet AYP this year or people could get transferred. Everything is about data and documentation.

Does the school pay for the materials you will need over the course of the year or do you need to buy most of the materials yourself?
We get $150 this year for most materials. The school provides math materials, curriculum materials, and a large classroom library. They also say they will provide basic stuff like pencils, chart paper, and markers, but most materials requests are ignored. (They "never received it".) We have copy machines and we are supposedly able to submit copy requests 2 weeks in advance for classroom copies but that never happens so most of us own our own copy machines and make our own copies at home or at Staples/Kinkos.

What made you decide to become an elementary school teacher over a middle or high school teacher?
Hmmm....it appealed to me more I guess. You get one group of kids and stay with them rather than having a different group every 42 minutes. There are pros and cons to each; my current license is a 1-6 license. I'm working on my ESL license which is K-12 and I may go to a higher grade.

What are your overall thoughts on your job? Or just anything else you would like to add that you think would be beneficial for me to know before going into this field.
*Sigh* Right now I'm a little frustrated, but most of that is school-based. I was all excited to start a new year until the administration showed up! LOL The first few years were hard; I had very difficult children in my classes. I've stuck with it this far so it's not all bad. Each year does get easier and I'm considering trying a new school (next year) for a different experience.

I'm sorry for asking so many questions. I just would like to know as much information as possible before deciding that being an elementary teacher is exactly what I'd like to do.
This is a good idea. Don't feel bad about it. You should research the career you are thinking of before spending money for four years on a college education! Good luck on your choice!

While not a teacher, I do work at Staples and during BTS (back to school) teachers cram into the store. Thay buy ALOT of supplies. A few hundred dollars each.

When my daughter was in grades 1 and 2, all I had to do was send the teacher $30 and she bought all the supplies with it. BUt after grade 2 I had to buy supplies and even with a 15% discount, it was all very expensive.

I implore all teachers who send home suppy lists in June to be reasonable!! Some of the lists I've seen have been insane! Some even tell the parent where to shop, and lists 5 or 6 different places!! Parents who've never shopped for school supplies before don't know any better, and follow the lists exactly. A student shouln't have to buy wet erase markers for the teacher to use. Or stress themselves out looking for Canadian made pencils. FYI, they seem to only be made in China and USA. Even the ones that are called "Canadiana" are made in the States. Go figure.

This isn't really an answer to any of your questions, but as a person who sees these frustrated parents with stupid supply lists, I just have to speak out for them!

To quote one parent "if your teacher wants you to have that book, she can go out and buy it herself."

ok well, i taught ed/bd personally, i would avoid this area.

This week starts year #23 teaching high school math for me.I thought I would offer a slightly different point of view from the elementary school teachers who have responded thus far.
  • What grade do you teach?
    This year I'll be teaching grade 9 Algebra and grade 11 SAT prep. My certification is for grades 7-12, althought that's done on a state by state basis and may very well be different where you live.
  • What is it like teaching them? What things in particular do you teach them? Are the students cooperative most of the time?
    I love teaching older kids... in fact, I would be thrilled to be back to teaching Seniors. (I lost seniority in the department during the 6 years I was a SAHM.) I love the fact that I can tell them what to do and they'll do it. They know how to "play the game" in a manner of speaking. As much as I love my 5 year old to death, I'm not sure I could teach 22 of her all day long.

• Public school vs. Private School: Which do you teach at? What is the atmosphere like?
    I have always taught in Catholic Schools on Long Island-- 7 years at a all-girls school and 15 at the school at which I'm currently employed. Each school is different. But I love the school I'm in. The administrative is supportive and the kids and parents are great. Discipline is a non-issue; my worst classes have been the chatty ones. But, again, this isn't a generalization. I'm speaking about the school in which I teach. There are some awful private schools and some wonderful public schools.
  • Does the school pay for the materials you will need over the course of the year or do you need to buy most of the materials yourself? My school supplies the basics. We're given a grade book and a planner, and can take what we need from the bookstore. So I always have pens and a stapler and paperclips. They'll supply background paper and border for the bulleting boards, and we get enough notices that some people get by with nothing additona. (I like cutsier border and some posters.) We get a Christmas tree for each room with some generic decorations-- you get the idea. But like every other teacher I know, I do spend some of my own money.
  • What made you decide to become an elementary school teacher over a middle or high school teacher? Like you, I always knew I wanted to teach; my mom says I decided in 2nd grade. In high school, though I had some awful teachers, math just sort of gelled for me as what I wanted to do. Had I not taught math, it would have been history.
  • What are your overall thoughts on your job? Or just anything else you would like to add that you think would be beneficial for me to know before going into this field. Aside from International Jetsetter, there is no other job for me. EAch day, each period, is totally different from the one before. NO other job allows you a complete fresh start each year; you can totally re-invent yourself over the summer if you choose. Working with kids keeps you young. Their enthusiasm and wonder and laughter are contagious.

That said, there are a few cautions. One is about the job situation in some parts of the country, particularly in elementary education. Ignore what you've heard about the teacher shortage; it's a myth. The job shortage is in some very specific pockets (like Vegas, which is enjoying a tremendous population boom at the moment) and in some particular specialities (math is always one of them.) Think about the possibility of relocating if you're in one of the areas not enjoying a similar boom, or think about a double major in a field which would make you more marketable.

My second caution involves the myth of a "dream job" or "dream school." Until you've taught all the grades within your certification, you honestly won't know which is the right fit for you. So I wanted to warn you to keep an open mind. I've read of people who turned down jobs teaching, say, grade 3 while they held out for first grade or Kindergarten. It seemed so silly to me, to turn down one unknown for another. Likewise, keep an open mind about public/private/charter and even which public schools you want. As with icecream, there is no one "best"-- it's a matter of personal choice.

The best of luck to you as you prepare to enter our profession!!!

Elementary/Middle School Sub here - so I work with everything from Preschool to 8th grade (but I can't answer about all parts of the job - admin, standardized tests, etc.) Anyway, I'll certainly try to help you compare the different ages:

Kindergarten - May be half-day (which means you have 2 classes) or full-day. Content varies, but around here, you would be teaching reading along with getting them accustomed to school. Lots of singing. The kids are generally eager to please you, but some may be nervous about being away from home, and many will need assistance with shoes, coats, etc. You will get a very wide range of abilities in the same classroom. May have an aid, or parent volunteers.

1st Grade - Reading, math, hands-on science, very light history. I find behavior at this age depends a lot on class size, but they generally they also want to please you. Again, you will get a very wide range of abilities in the same classroom; some will be reading way above level, and some will be struggling. You may also have aids/volunteers, but it's not as common.

2nd/3rd Grade - Pretty independant, but still generally cooperative. The material gets a little more interesting, and you cover all subjects. Most of the kids are reading and things move a little faster. I like this age a lot as a sub (though I expect the homework correcting starts to take up more of your time, too, so I won't say it's perfect.)

4th Grade - Some schools begin "trading" classes with another teacher - you teach both your and her class Math and Science, she teaches them both Language and Social Studies, or a similar plan. The kids are independant, but don't automatically look up to you just because you're the teacher, so classroom order becomes a little trickier.

5th Grade - This is part of the elementary school in some districts, middle in others. I find subbing it hard with a new class, because it's difficult to tell when the kids need more structure and when they need to be given a little more responsibility. (I'm not sure they always know themselves!) It gets easier the more you get to know a particular group, but the attitude can definitely start here.

6th grade - Like 5th, this is still on Elementary Certification in some places, but located in the Middle School in a lot of places. You would likely specify in a subject, and teach several classes the same thing in a day. Discipline is more of a challenge - you have to earn their respect, but it's rewarding if you do. To compensate for that, the subject material gets really interesting, and you can do more in-depth stuff with them.

As you can see, it's kind of like a see-saw. You give up bits of one thing to get another, and every age has it's plusses and minuses. - I really do love them all! In general, the younger the kids, the more tired you will be physically; the older the kids, the more tired you will mentally. You should get to observe a lot while you are in school, and that will help you decide as well.

Oh, and I can address one other question - most of the teachers I know DO buy some of their own materials. (Even I buy stickers or something occasionally.) But it depends A LOT on where you are, and what you feel is necessary to make your classroom the place you want to be.

Best of luck, and thank you for considering this!

What grade do you teach? I teach 3rd grade but I am on maternity leave

What is it like teaching them? What things in particular do you teach them? Love it! I teach all the basic subjects along with character ed

Are the students cooperative most of the time? Yes, for the most part. Having a good classroom managment system works too, like rewarding good behavior

Public school vs. Private School: Which do you teach at? What is the atmosphere like? Public

Does the school pay for the materials you will need over the course of the year or do you need to buy most of the materials yourself? Yes, for the most part, I like specific things so I usually buy them, however next school year I probably won't be doing that.

What made you decide to become an elementary school teacher over a middle or high school teacher? I love the age group of elementary children.

What are your overall thoughts on your job? Or just anything else you would like to add that you think would be beneficial for me to know before going into this field. You have to love kids to do this job. Its also a lot more than that though. Dealing with parents can be challenging, as can planning lessons to meet each childs needs. It is the most rewarding job, you will love it! Good luck!:thumbsup2

I teach 3rd grade special education, but I co-teach so I'm in the classroom all day, not in a small separate class. This is my 8th year teaching, I started right out of college and haven't looked back. I've taught k-5 special ed so far and I love 2-3 best. The kids are much more independent and fun without being jaded yet. Also, I'm only 5 feet tall as well and didn't want to deal with my students looming over me. As is, some of the 4th, and even the occasional third grader are taller than me.

I love that I'm never bored. There is no down time when teaching, and I don't do well when I'm bored so it suits me well. I've always loved kids, and was another kid magnet myself, so there wasn't much question about what I would do. I also dreaded the idea of moving into the "real world" and losing my summer vacation and other vacations so this works out great for me.

I teach in public school but have also taught at a charter school, which is halfway between public and private. I think the people you work with and the overall atmosphere of the school are WAY more important than those distinctions though. Do be warned, private schools tend to pay much less but have a variety of other benefits.

I am starting my 2nd year of teaching! Last year I taught music for grades K-5 and music appreciation for 6-8, and this year I'm teaching music k-4.

It is VERY busy! There is no downtime between classes, so you have to transition quickly between grade levels and lessons. I love it, though....I don't get bored! I follow the national standards for music ed., and try to have performance opportunities for students in each grade level each year. Students behave most of the time, but there are some serious behavior problems. My school has about 85% of the students on free and reduced lunch, and kids from all different backgrounds. I find that if I plan lessons that are fun and engaging, I have many less behavior issues.

I teach at a public K-8 school, and last year things were OUT OF CONTROL! :scared1: Our administration had no control over things and expectations for students were not the same across the board...which created all sorts of issues. However, with an admin. switch, things are much better this year...so far! :rotfl2:

We get $200.00 for supplies at the beginning of the year, a box of printer paper, and a small bag of basic supplies (a few dry erase markers, pencils, pens, a stapler, etc.). I have found that what I am really missing are manipulatives...I have some instruments, but there are so many things that must be taught and I realize how much I am missing. I try to do the best with what I have.

I LOVE elementary because students this age are easily influenced and easily excitable. I feel like I can truly make a difference when they are this young. I can start kids singing and dancing in kindergarten, and they can enjoy as they get older. I feel that kids are open to all sorts of ideas.

Overall, I love my job. Teaching music can get a little lonely...I have other teachers on my "team," but they are P.E. coaches, technology, etc. and we do not have that much in common. However, the teams of teachers (1st grade team, etc.) all seem to get along well and have lots of fun. I find planning performances, chorus, drama club, a spring musical, etc. a lot of work, and I think that there may be a point where I need to take a break from that...I would probably choose to teach kindergarten or 2nd grade. I feel like 1st grade teachers have a lot on their shoulders, with teaching students how to read for the most part. I find that the most successful teachers have great classroom management skills, and those teachers are evident the minute that their students step into my classroom. Someone told me that you can't teach students if you can't control your class...and I have found that to be entirely true.

Good luck with your decision! Right now, there is nothing else I would rather do! :cool1: :thumbsup2

Hi! 1st grade teacher here :teacher:

This is my 18th year teaching 1st/2nd grade.

The biggest piece of advice I can give you is to try substitute teaching. That really is the best way for you to know if teaching is for you. Before I taught, I long-termed subbed in 2nd grade (twice) and 6th grade (also twice). After doing 6th grade, I KNEW RIGHT THEN that I never wanted to teach that age group.

Not a teacher here, but I have several friends who are. They say to make sure you are licensed as a Reading Specialist and as ELL-English Language Learner. This will help you get a job.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter