OT - Anyone have pet turtles?? help needed.

lisaross

DIS Veteran
OK we bought our son 2 small turtles in China Town! Yes i know i will have to move them to a tank - they are in a small bug tank now. My question is, i have turtle food - but they don't seem to like it -- what else can i feed them? how often? how often should i change the water?

anything else i need to know?

Thanx Lisa owner of Miniature Poodle, Hermit Crab and now 2 small turtles!

Mommy to 2 boys - Daniel and Ethan

If you bought them in China town They are suppose to be the food not something feed to them.

Just kidding Trutles are like lizards and kids they all eat different things .Try to find the species then you can google it and find out what choices you have .

Some eat live stuff and some are fruits and vegs eaters but you really can't tell until you find out what kind they are.

Good luck we just added a Gecko to long list of pets.

I'm afraid I can't help you with that, but I did just read an article that said turtles carry a type of salmonella so make sure you and your kids wash your hands thoroughly after handling them.

but how do i know which type i have???????????

Yes, i know the kids MUST wash there hands after touching

lisa

I have a friend that has a turtle. I know she feeds it turtle food and also gives it a live goldfish once in a while. Her IM is idle right now or I'd ask her. If no one else can answer, I will ask her later.

I had a turtle that used to love veggies and raw hamburger meat. We also used to feed him small goldfish. But you really need to find out the kind of turtle that you have. what do they look like?

img_res-leaf.jpg

This is what mine looked like....these are pretty common... notice the red stripes on its head.... If it looks like this then here is a link
http://exoticpets.about.com/od/aquaticturtles/f/feedingturtles.htm
(I did notice that they tell you not to feed them raw meat anymore.)

I have a box turtle and he is atleast 19 years old. He eats canned catfood, tender vittles (cat food) and canned fruit as a treat. He only eats like every other day if that.

When I had turtles I used to feed them live earthworms. They went nuts for them. Just loved the worms!! My turtles never ate the floating food sticks either.

I have an 11 year old russian tortoise named Grinch during the school year as a classroom pet and Smirnoff during the summer. He is vegetarian and eats romaine, red leaf and various other dark leaf lettuce. A favorite is also dandelion leaves. Depends on the species.

I had a turtle years ago and I fed him canned catfood and strawberries. Those were his favorites. I would by him moss, soak it in water and put that in his aquarium too. He was a small turtle who got too fat for his shell so just don't spoil them :)

Angela

We feed our turtle Seabiscuit plain old turtle food but supplement it with a dead housefly when we find them.

And coming from someone who has HAD salmonella (not from turtles from food) then PLEASE be extra careful about hand washing after touching the turtles or anything the turtles come in contact with.

Did you figure out what kind of a turtle you have yet? Whether it's an aquatic turtle or a land turtle? These things are important to determine what kind of food they will need to eat. Also, note that the average life span of a turtle is 50 years - these pets are not to be taken lightly!

I have two Red Eared Sliders, which are aquatic turtles. Their needs include:

1) an aquatic tank that is at least 20 gallon capacity (10 gallons of water, 10 "gallons" of air). They say you should have 1 gallon of water for every inch of turtle, but they're not that big yet. We've only had them for 6 months. So for now, that size is ok.

2) a thermometer in the tank. You want to make sure the temperature in the tank is mid 70's at all times. They love that temperature.

3) a sun lamp. An important part of regulating their temperature occurs when they come out of the water and bask on a floating log. The lamp needs to be on for around 12 hours of the day, regulating their "day and night".

4) water. Duh! LOL

5) a good water filter. They poop a lot! We haven't had to change the water in a while, and as long as it stays clean and clear, you're ok.

6) plants (real or fake). They love to hide in the foliage in the water!

7) we used to have Apple Snails in there, but they died. And they promptly became turtle food.

Also note, anything that is smaller than them will likely become turtle food. If you go on vacation, you can get them feeder fish and they will chow down all week. You will also more than likely come home to a disgusting tank, though, so it's not the best option.

They like to eat in the water as well. If you have aquatic turtles and they're not eating, you can try to move them to a smaller area to feed, just make sure it's a water area. I.E. when the turtles were babies, we'd feed them in a little plastic container. Put around 1/2 inch of water in there and drop the food in. Let it soften a little and add turtles. They'll chow down when they're hungry.

******Most of the above info only applies if you have aquatic turtles. Please check what kind of turtles you have before applying any of the above to your situation.

Most pet stores do sell aquatic habitat starter kits. That's where we purchased ours (Petsmart). And we added to it as needed.

We have a malaysian box turtle. One thing to keep in mind is that turtles don't eat very much. One meal a week is plenty for ours (others may eat more or less). So it is possible that their "not liking" it is just being full.

You really should find out what kind they are. Have you brought them in to your local pet store - those folks should be able to help.

salmoneous said:
We have a malaysian box turtle. One thing to keep in mind is that turtles don't eat very much. One meal a week is plenty for ours (others may eat more or less). So it is possible that their "not liking" it is just being full.

Mine eat every day. :confused3 Maybe they're just pigs, but they sure do act hungry when they're gobbling up their pellets every morning. Maybe it depends on if they're aquatic or land turtles?

I have a friend who has about more than a half-dozen turtles (her initial three had babies). She feeds them fresh fruit, lettuce, and live crickets (you can buy them at pet stores). She changes their water daily. We live in a warm climate so she's built three large turtle habitats (they're full of shade plants and quite lovely) in her back yard (one for the male, one for the females, and one for the kiddies).

disneynutt1225 said:
Mine eat every day. :confused3 Maybe they're just pigs, but they sure do act hungry when they're gobbling up their pellets every morning. Maybe it depends on if they're aquatic or land turtles?

They WILL eat every day if you feed them every day. Mine would act like they were starving every time I walked in the room. Then the vet informed me that at least one was severely obese. He had little rolls of fat coming from under his shell.

That led to the great turtle diet. It took a while, but when I stopped feeding them every day, they stopped clamoring for it.

Hmmmmmm. Smirnoff eats daily during the summer and Mon-Fri during the school year as he is a class pet. I will have to watch is weight. He is a cool pet!

I have 5 desert tortoise. My two females both laid their first clutch of eggs this past month. One set I'm incubating and the other set I've left outside in the hole mommy dug for them. Want to see which set has a better hatch rate. My problem is...what if they all hatch?? I do NOT need that many turts!

teacherforhi said:
They WILL eat every day if you feed them every day. Mine would act like they were starving every time I walked in the room. Then the vet informed me that at least one was severely obese. He had little rolls of fat coming from under his shell.

I'll be sure to keep a better eye on the weight gain. They've grown in inches on their shells, but they're not pudgy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter