• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OT: anyone from Springfield, Illinois?

I am from Springfield, and I lived in Lombard for 6 months.

There are tons of Lincoln sites, although growing up here, I have been there done that.

If you are stopping you need to go to D'arcy's pint and have the famous central Illinois horseshoe.

I am from Springfield, and I lived in Lombard for 6 months.

There are tons of Lincoln sites, although growing up here, I have been there done that.

If you are stopping you need to go to D'arcy's pint and have the famous central Illinois horseshoe.

what is a horseshoe?

what is a horseshoe?

"The city’s food pride doesn’t stop there. Springfield has its very own sandwich: the Horseshoe. The Horseshoe can and will give you pleasure -- a lot of pleasure. Listen to the makeup: a piece of toast on a plate with a hearty hamburger patty resting on top, all underneath a mound of French fries that are lavishly covered with a thick cheese sauce.

This cheese sauce, by the way, proved to be absolutely crucial in the judging of the sandwich by experienced Horseshoe eaters.

Springfield has some serious food, but they are up and with the healthy, modern times as the horseshoe is offered in a half portion, appropriately called the ‘Pony’. I ate every last morsel of the HORSESHOE at one of the most popular ‘shoe’ spots: D’Arcy’s Pink, 661 West Stanford Avenue!"

I live in Springfield and can agree with what everyone has said here.

The Abraham Lincoln Museum (while not free) is absolutely amazing and my kids love it (youngest is currently in 3rd grade). Like others have said, there are a ton of Lincoln sites to see in the downtown area, and the Dana-Thomas House (Frank Llyod Wright) is well worth the time and effort. It has a "suggested donation", but technically is free.

I need to look back at the OP to see exactly your spring break is, but as of right now, we don't have snow on the ground, but our grass isn't green either. There is a chance of flurries tonight, but no accumulation is expected. Highs this week have been in the mid 50's, so it feels like a heat wave (with a couple of 70's in the past couple of weeks). That is still a couple of weeks away, and I hope the weather warms up a little more.

We are heading out to D.C. for spring break, and are hoping that it is warms up there too. We will barely make the beginning of Cherry Blossom Festival, and we aren't even sure they will be in bloom due to the extended cold weather.

When we went to Wis skiing last month, we took 90/94 and went around Chicago. It is a fairly easy drive.

If you have any specific questions, let me know.

Knock on wood and cross your fingers because the huge st pattys day celebration is on tomorrow!

Wow, there are several Springfield-ians here! I am a lifelong resident and it is a great city. We're definitely not a "small town" like someone else mentioned!

Without a doubt, the Lincoln Museum is a MUST SEE. It is worth the time and money. If there were to ever be a "Disney" Lincoln Museum, this is as close as you could get to it in terms of quality.

We have some really great local restaurants too. One I have to recommend is called Pizza Machine. You can do a MapQuest of it to get the driving directions - it is actually a very short drive from the Lincoln Museum. It's owned by a guy in his early 20's (no college degree) who was on the "U.S. Pizza Team" and toured all over the world then he decided to open his own place. It's is very "quirky" and all of the structures and decorations inside were salvaged - not much in there was bought new. VERY cool place, but get there early because on weekends it gets packed!!!

If you like Asian food there's a great place on the south/southwest end of town called Little Saigon they have Vietnamese, Thai and Chinese food and it's fantastic. New place called Ginger Asian Bistro opened out by the mall but it hasn't impressed me. For Italian, there's Bella Milano. Lots of non chain places to choose from, if you enjoy that sort of thing.

As others said in previous posts, there is New Salem which is great on a nice spring day, as well as the IL State Museum.

bump

wanted to see if anyone else had and thoughts/tips........our trip is still on, We will leave on friday morning, and come home saturday evening ( 4 hour drive i am estimating)
for our list of must do's we have -

1) horseshoe sandwich

2) Lincoln museum

3) new salem

I am wondering, is there any cool historic/ intresting sites on the way down? We will be most likley taking I-39 down from WI.
any more tips would be great.....i will start writing up out itineary this week.

PS what is the weather forecast for next week? we just got another 4" of new snow.......i am really looking forward to getting away from it for a few days.
thank you

Tina

We have some rain expected this week but no snow. It was actually very nice yesterday, just windy. Ironically, I am leaving for WDW on saturday!!!!!!

If you are in the shopping mood too and have never been to a Gordman's store, I highly suggest taking some time to spend some cash!!! (It's over by Best buy close to the mall).

bump

wanted to see if anyone else had and thoughts/tips........our trip is still on, We will leave on friday morning, and come home saturday evening ( 4 hour drive i am estimating)
for our list of must do's we have -

1) horseshoe sandwich

2) Lincoln museum

3) new salem

I am wondering, is there any cool historic/ intresting sites on the way down? We will be most likley taking I-39 down from WI.
any more tips would be great.....i will start writing up out itineary this week.

PS what is the weather forecast for next week? we just got another 4" of new snow.......i am really looking forward to getting away from it for a few days.
thank you

Tina

And if you are going to the museum, you can also tour Lincoln's home...it's actually close by....Cold Stone Creamery is right there by the museum too...mmmmmmm Yummy Ice Cream!!!!

New Salem is very nice to go to, lots of walking, but it is very neat to see the workers interact the real old times-log cabins, sometimes they make food, and how lincoln and his family lived. It is very peaceful at new salem.

We have some rain expected this week but no snow. It was actually very nice yesterday, just windy. Ironically, I am leaving for WDW on saturday!!!!!!

If you are in the shopping mood too and have never been to a Gordman's store, I highly suggest taking some time to spend some cash!!! (It's over by Best buy close to the mall).

Gordmans is a dangerous place :3dglasses LOL i have be know to spend a few hundred $$ at a time :headache: my DD16 & I love that place.......but no shopping this trip.

have fun at WDW! have a dole whip for me, and give stitch a big hug from us!!!

Staraved rock is near the intersection of 39 and 80 and worth the trip.
I think you will be pleasantly surprised by your trip to springfield. besides the Presidential Museum and New Salem, visit his home and the street which has been redone into a nice tourist attraction as well as the State Museuma nd Capital.

To the OP: Did you go to Springfield? How was your trip? What did you do and where did you stay? We've been thinking about taking this trip also and would like to hear more about it. We're from Wisconsin also.
Thanks! :)

To the OP: Did you go to Springfield? How was your trip? What did you do and where did you stay? We've been thinking about taking this trip also and would like to hear more about it. We're from Wisconsin also.
Thanks! :)

we sure did
i just found your question, I am off to bed after a long day - but i will reply tomarrow morning with a small report.

Tina

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter