OT: Any beaches near Orlando for a few days?

KitKate

<font color=teal>Make mine a t-shirt<br><font colo
We are in Orlando in July 2008 and I wonder, are there any beaches on the east coast of Florida that would afford us a relatively inexpensive few days after we are done at WDW? If so, where and what hotels are good to stay at? Thanks.

KitKate

Please be aware that the surf on the Atlantic side is rough. There are always rip currents. Just today, a 50 year old tourist drown. He was almost directly in front of a lifeguard tower, but was not seen until it was too late.

The more popular beaches are Daytona, New Smyrna and Cocoa Beach.

We love Cocoa Beach- we stay at a hotel called the Wakkula Suites. Right on the beach and the rooms are all 2 bedroom apartments. Nice kiddie pool and heated regular pool. The grounds are gorgeous- a tropical paradise. The rooms are just ok. Nothing special but clean and the staff is great.
Cocoa Beach is near the Space Center, and Ron Jon's and a park are very close to the hotel.
We stay there at least 2x per year.
Their website has pictures and a live beach cam.
:cool2:

I can't seem to find the website just based on your info of Wakkula Suites. Can you help me out?

Also check out the Tampa area which is only about 1 1/2 hours away. Lots of beaches down there as well. It also has Busch Gardens which would be fun if you have kids.

We are going to New Smyrna Beach next week.

I've been to Cocoa Beach and Clearwater Beach, and I prefer Clearwater Beach. The gulf is warmer and calmer, the sand is powdery soft, and the sunset over the gulf every night is beautiful.

We stayed at the Hilton on Mandalay Ave, which is a great location right next to Pier 60 Park and pier. (google for info) There were also plenty of restaurants and shops within walking distance to the hotel, then after dinner we would grab a coffee, stay out by the pier, watch the performers, wander through the craft tables, and my son could play on the playground. (I think they charge $1.00 now to acess the pier)

In Cocoa Beach, I liked the actual "beach" and our hotel was nice - we stayed at the DoubleTree Suites. But I didn't find there to be much to do other than walk through RonJon, and you can only do that so many times - especially being from NJ and going to the one in LBI my whole life. There were not many things you could walk to because you were essentially walking on the side of a main road. And I noticed that quite a few things closed early (coffee/gift shops) - I guess because they cater more to the senior/snowbird crowd?

I don't know if it was the actual "section" of Cocoa Beach I stayed in, or if I just had different expectations. I've been to Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, (not near WDW) Clearwater,and Cocoa, and I have to say Cocoa was my least favorite.

What is the driving time to all these beaches, Daytona, Tampa Bay, Clearwater, Smryna? From WDW:confused3

We usually go to Cocoa Beach every year that we go to Disney. My sister as a condo there during the winter months. It is right across the street from Wakkula Suites. It is a nice place, but it is a block from the beach. You can not see the ocean from there. We like the area because it has everything you need close by. Less than a block. This year we are trying Daytona Beach, because someone offered to let us use there 2 bedroom timeshare on the beach for cheap. So nowI will be able to see which one I like best. We have stayed at Motel 6 in Cocoa Beach. All we needed was a bed and showers. Was good enough for us.

I lived at Satelite Beach when I was a kid, which is near Cocoa Beach and if I remember correctly it is less than an hour to drive. I cannot help you with the hotels, but if you are willing to drive a little bit away from Cocoa Beach and closer to the Air Force base you will get more privacy and less tourists.

I just map quested these this morning. It is about an hour to Cocoa Beach and hour and 20 min to Daytona.

I live only 2.5 hours from Disney, so I've been to quite a few beaches in the area. Daytona is about an hour away from Disney. Just shoot right down I-4 and you are there. There's a really nice hotel there called The Oceanwalk. They have kids activities, very nice suites, a pool, they are right on the beach, it is connected to a small "mall" that has restaurants and shops, there's a mini golf course inside, there's a lazy river, a water slide....it is just a really nice place to stay and it is very reasonable too. I highly recommend it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter