OT: Any 1st grade or K teachers? Re: 1/2 day Kindergarten

I just wanted to add that in the 1/2 day kindergarten here they are given gym class, library, art class, etc. Just b/c it's a shorter day dosen't mean they receive any less.

You mentioned that she will be a very young 5 when she enters kindergarten. Does she attend PreK now? For how long? It's totally a personal decision, but I would think that all day kindergarten would be a really long day for someone that young. My DD attended the PreK peer program our elementary school offered as a peer four days a week from 8:30-12:00. She was tired from those hours! I held her back from kindergarten until she was 5 turning 6 because I felt she really was more interested in playing than academics. I am so glad I did because she really loves to learn now! I think if I had sent her earlier, she would have disliked school. Oh, and our kindergarten is half day - full day is offered for special needs or parent schedule issues. She still thinks it's a long day, but I think she will be able to handle the full day schedule when she enters first grade. :)

Good luck with your decision, follow your gut!

I would find out what the schedule is for the full day class. When my DD went to Kindergarten, it was full day, but here was the afternoon - lunch 12:30 - 1:00, recess 1 - 1:30, bathroom 1:30-1:45, NAP 1:45 - 2:30, Go home at 2:40. They could have easily gone home at 12:30!!! If the last part of their day is stuff like this, they are not learning anything, and don't need to be at school. Our school system does not require Kindergarten, but once you sign them up, you have to abide by attendance rules, so I could not check her out at 12:30 even thought they were not doing anything.

If you can afford it, I'd go with half-day!!!!

I'm not as organised as the PP (you go girl) but when my oldest was approaching kindergarten, I researched the topic in the educational journals. And I'm not going to argue the above stats, BUT the research shows that while benefits are shown in 1st grade, by the end of second grade, there is no difference between the two populations.

And whoever said 25 isn't many more than 15:confused3 Even if it was a class of 20, that's still significant at an age where everything needs to be done one-on-one.

And I wouldn't worry a bit about new friends the next year. This is a very flexible "everbodies my BEST friend" age.

My daughter started out the year at a public full day kindergarten. Because of changes made to her class which caused her to be unhappy, we decided to move her back to her old private preschool for 1/2 kindergarten. It was the best decision we've ever made. She gets EVERYTHING (except computer class) that she did full day AND MORE. She's had MANY more field trips than she otherwise would have gotton (7 for 1/2 day, would have only had 1 full day), and so much LESS busy work and a lot more fun hands on learning. Not to mention, it is so much less stressful for us because we don't have to answer to anyone when we are late or when we go on vacation! Plus we get so much more quality time together in the afternoon without being rushed into dinner, after school activites, etc.

I can't say how she will be affected next year because we aren't there yet. But I do know that I wouldn't trade this year for anything! Even if changing to full day at a different school might be somewhat harder for her than those who went full day, after about a week or two it all seems to even out!

Our full day kids do NOT have nap time. Wow, that would have been a nightmare for my son. Their afternoon was lunch, recess, centers (which also allowed the teacher to have one-on-one time with each child at least once a week), and they had one instructional subject but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. They had special in the morning I believe. They were also able to take many field trips, in fact, I was annoyed with how many they took in the beginning of the year. It seemed like every other week they were going somewhere. LOL I think the half day vs full day has to be a personal decision. Clearly, there are HUGE differences in how the programs are run throughout the country. I wouldn't have bothered if my child had to take a nap..sheesh.

Probably the best way to decide what to do is to visit both schools. You have gotten a lot of opinions on this subject, but none of us knows your child. Only you can know what will be the best fit for her. Try to talk to some of the teachers at each school and find out how they structure their day. More than likely, they are both good schools and your daughter will do fine regardless of which you choose.

1st grade teacher here. Our school went from 1/2 to full day 2 years ago. The children come to 1st grade much better prepared for the more structured routine. Many are already reading and writing. Even students who haven't mastered all of the kdg. skills have maore than the 1/2 day children did. I am able to take my students further than I did a few years ago. They are also used to the school routine and don't spend the whole afternoon asking when it is time to go home. I know that the kdg. teachers appreciate the extra time. It was very difficult to get in the required minutes of each subject as well as P.E., music, art, technology, etc. Now they have a 20 minute "rest time" after lunch. Some sleep, some lay quietly, some read.

I'm a Kindergarten teacher and, interestingly enough, my district is going from half-day to full day next school year so we have been involved in this debate all year. I'm excited about the change because, as a teacher, it is so difficult to cram in everything that must be taught in half a day. Kindergarten really is the "new first grade" (not always such a great thing). I feel that what gets left out in half-day programs is the opportunity for children to explore, talk, develop socially, and play "productively". It is all just too rushed.
That being said, I do agree with all those who stated that a child who completes a half-day program will do just as well in the long run as a full-day child, as long as he/she has supportive, actively involved parents. Anyone who takes the time to ask opinions of others and researches and tries to make an informed decision fits into that category, so I have no doubt that the little person in question will do just fine either way. If all parents and home situations would be like that, the education problems in our country would be minor. What goes on at home is truly the key.

I'm a Kindergarten teacher and, interestingly enough, my district is going from half-day to full day next school year so we have been involved in this debate all year. I'm excited about the change because, as a teacher, it is so difficult to cram in everything that must be taught in half a day. Kindergarten really is the "new first grade" (not always such a great thing). I feel that what gets left out in half-day programs is the opportunity for children to explore, talk, develop socially, and play "productively". It is all just too rushed.
That being said, I do agree with all those who stated that a child who completes a half-day program will do just as well in the long run as a full-day child, as long as he/she has supportive, actively involved parents. Anyone who takes the time to ask opinions of others and researches and tries to make an informed decision fits into that category, so I have no doubt that the little person in question will do just fine either way. If all parents and home situations would be like that, the education problems in our country would be minor. What goes on at home is truly the key.

Thank you for your nice comments. :blush:

My little girl is in half day kindergaten this year- she loves it by the way!! She went to preschool last year Mon, Wed, an Friday, 9-12, but never day care, so all day would have been a huge jump for her (not to mention me!) I think 1/2 day is perfect. She is so excited to go every day, and has never once complained of being tired or bored. Even in that short time, I am so amazed at what she has learned this year. She is writing in sentences, and reads everything! In the beginning of the year, her teacher told us they would like to have every child reading by the end of the year, and they did it! My friend's daughter is in a private full day kindergarten, and when she saw what my daughter was doing in school she couldn't believe it. Our public school's half day is more advanced than her private full day. So I think it really depends on the school. Also my daughter's class has 15 children, which is nice.
My Mother was a 3rd grade teacher for 30 years, and she sent me to private school for K-3. I also went to all day kindergarten, by third grade my parents pulled me out because I was so far behind the public 3rd gade school. So I really think you have to look into the schools to make a decision. I can just say as a Mom of a 1/2 day student who is reading, doing match, and writing, like I never dreamed, 1/2 day can be just as good :) Good luck with whatever you choose!!

I'm and educator and glad that our district only offers 1/2 day. The way I look at it, kindergarten is my DD's last year to enjoy extra "play time" before starting the long hours of elementary school. Kids are pushed to grow up too fast these days (hence the "kindergarten is the new 1st grade" situation). Kids need to be kids.

I'm so glad to see so many posters that prefer 1/2 day Kindergarten. I would never even consider sending my children for full day. I truly believe that young children need time for free, unstructured play. I'm so disappointed in the trend to go to full day Kindergarten in this country.

My youngest is going to do all day next year. In our district you have to pay for the additional 1/2 day. He just turned 6, he did an additional yr of preschool(4 days) because he was really behind in his fine motor skills and not really mature enough for what is required in kindergarten now. It's actually changed a bit since my eldest was in K.

After talking with other parents(including two teachers) who have done ADK, I think it is the right choice for him. And yes, 1st grade teachers can spot the ADK right away. Class size is limited to 20 kids, one teacher & one aide. Though my eldest did 1/2 day and there were only 14 kids in his class.

First grade teacher here-actually I was until I had my daughter. So you know what I'm going to say.PARENT INVOLVEMENT. Full or half day does not have a great deal of impact at this age. I've had first graders who couldn't make it through a full day and fell asleep on their desk(usually the five year olds). Our school district is half day and I'm thrilled. I would not have been happy sending mine to full day. There are plenty of activities that can and should be done outside of school to add to you child's experiences. That's why I've chosen to stay home with the kiddies. My daughter is in preschool for 3's Tues/Thur for 2 hours to develop social skills and peer interaction. Not to sit at a table half the day to do writing or activity sheets. I love that the structure is minimal but they still cover the basic coloring/ cutting/ gluing/ letters/numbers. Next year we're up to 21/2 hours:woohoo: and then K half day:banana: Great break for me and little Ben. And yes I think she'll be fine. I'm not expecting a brain surgeon at age 6.

I think it's pretty funny people think their kids can't tolerate a whole day of kindergarten.

Most kids have plenty of energy to go to school all day. It's just the mommies who don't want to let them go!

There was a story in the Detroit News; Michigan may soon require all day kindergarten.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070502/SCHOOLS/705020412

The story quotes test results that all day kindergartners do better than half day ones.

It's the wave of the future. I'd day in 10 to 12 years, almost all states but the most backward ones will require it.

It's the wave of the future. I'd day in 10 to 12 years, almost all states but the most backward ones will require it.

Well, we're in Mississippi, so are far as backwards goes, we got dibs on that! I'd say we have about 30 years until they make it mandatory! :rotfl:

I think it's pretty funny people think their kids can't tolerate a whole day of kindergarten.

Most kids have plenty of energy to go to school all day. It's just the mommies who don't want to let them go!

There was a story in the Detroit News; Michigan may soon require all day kindergarten.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070502/SCHOOLS/705020412

The story quotes test results that all day kindergartners do better than half day ones.

I don't think that most people were saying that their kids couldn't handle all day kindergarten. Most people who prefer 1/2 day kindergarten feel that a lot can be learned during free play. Learning doesn't just take place at school. A lot can be learned from trips to the zoo, museum, library, etc. And unstructured play can be extremely valuable.

Children are adaptable. They will adjust to this schedule if forced to. Some people just don't believe that it is necessary or advisable for a 5 year old to start school full time.

I do suspect that you are right and that virtually all schools will go to the all day kindergarten in the future. I suspect that it has much more to do with the number of two working parent families than the supposed educational benefits though.

Studies have shown that scores even out between the all day and half day kindergartners by 2nd grade, so I don't put much stock in the cited report. Like several posters have mentioned, I think that parent involvement is a much bigger factor than anything else.

Sorry for not reading through the posts. I'm about out of time.

I actually chose my dd's 4k school based on the fact that she could stay in it for 5k and only go half day. They had 3 different programs 5 half, 5 full, or 3 full, 2 half. The second half of the year we switched to 3 full to help with the transition and because she wanted to stay with her friends and have lunch and stuff. She actually only stayed 2 afternoons a week. While it is true that they have to learn all the same things in half the time, they also aren't spending their day with a 40 minute lunch (between pack up get ready get there have 20 min to eat get back to room etc) and another recess and rest period etc. In my dd's class the only extra academic thing they did in the afternoon was some extra hands on stuff and review. They did not introduce any extra material at all. Now my son after driving all over creation to have him in preschool and her in a private k, I was excited to have them in the same school and not spending a fortune on private so I just put him in full day k. He also seemed more ready for it...my dd had still been taking 2 hr naps as well as we liked going to early afternoon gymnastics and horseback riding...my son had stopped napping during 4k and didnt do these kinds of activities. We actually changed schools during the year, but in his current school the teacher has told me that all the academic work is done by 10:30 and after that they have lunc, recess, as much as a 90 min rest period (torture for my kid who often gets in trouble for not being still) and centers. I again would be just as happy to bring him home before lunch and spend the afternoon with him if I could.

As far as getting used to going full day, why would that be easier when they are starting kindergarten than when they are starting first grade. At some point or another it is a transition and dont forget that between kindergarten and first they had the whole summer to break whatever time habits they got into in kindergarten. My dd adjusted just fine to 5 full days a week.

My ds4 is going to half day private K this upcoming yr. He has a very late bday and I KNOW that he is not ready for full day kindergarten, he is very immature. His class will have 11 kids in it and they follow the same curriculum as the public kindergarten. If he does well and matures we will go on to first grade next yr, if not he will go to full day kindergarten at the local public school. All my friend who are teachers and know DS well think its a great plan.
I have also heard that if kids are a tad behind , it all catches up by 2nd grade. My friend has a masters in education and we just discussed that this weekend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter