OT: Another place to go camp if interested

jennifer293

<font color=green>SHHHHH , but we live in the stic
Just got back from Stone Mountain, GA ..we stayed there for 3 nights and we had a BLAST!!! It is $31.00 a night for full hookup...comfort stations all really close. Some sites are not very level and we saw use of whatever means necessary to make campers level (I.E. rocks, boards, more rocks :lmao: )...I would be scared to walk around in my camper with some of the stuff I saw!! Anywho..there is quite a bit of stuff to there to do, and some nights they do a laser show on the mountain which was pretty neat.

If you have any questions feel free to ask...

***We never got our heater fixed in our camper thinking it would be warm the next time we used it and it was the first night...hahaha the next night it was 32 and the next it was 29...We managed to find ONE ceramic heater at the Home Depot for $25.00 (Camping World had the same exact one for $71.00)...we used it and it kept us very toasty, so we may never get that heater fixed.

thanks for the info we were thinking of going there after a week @ Pigeon Forge, right now we are still looking @ other options but Stone Mt. looked neat.

that sounds nice and its only about 8 hours from us. what kind of activities are in the area? maybe I can talk DH into a trip Easter weekend since FW is full :(

www.stonemountainpark.com

They have Ride the Ducks (the amphibious (sp?) boat)...there are a lot of little shops, glass blowing , candle making, blacksmith shop, general store, candy shop, a GOOD place to eat called Miss Katie's Sideboard House (yummy southern fixin's), there is a train that takes you 5 miles around the park, lots of little food vendors, the Treehouse Challenge (huge treehouse with a boys and girls side to play on the boys and girls compete for points against each other. There is a skylift to the top of the mountain, Memorial Hall (tells all the history of the place), the Great Barn (a fun indoor play place for the kids (again playing for points). 4-D show called a Tall Tale (kinda like a show like Bug's Life with the glasses lasts about 15-20 minutes) it was cute.
ummmmm there are several nature trails and the walk up the mountain is 1.3 miles straight up if you would like to walk it. If you stay at the campground you can get bracelets to do all the attractions mentioned above except for the ducks ($8.00 each)...For Dh, myslef and my 6 yr old (2 yr old was free) I paid like 66.00 and some change..but you get 2 days of passes for the price of one ONLY if you stay in the campground..:goodvibes

I may have left something else so if you have questions just ask....right outside the gates is a Wal-mart, Super Target, Joe's Crab Shack and everything else you can imagine. It is 15 miles from Atlanta so you could go take in the sights of Atlanta as well. Go to Six Flags maybe???

Thanks I have bookmarked this in my favs list. Not this trip but down the road we will be towing to disney and need a place to stay in Atlanta as I want to hit the world of coca cola again.

This place sounds great, thanks for posting! Does anyone know of any other places like this? We are in Texas and Georgia is quite a bit of a drive. We were thinking of planning a camping trip to the Branson area or maybe Pigeon forge both of these would be closer. Although this place looks like a lot more fun. ANy suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:thumbsup2

well, it looks a bit less grand than Stone Mountain park, but we will be staying at the KOA in Cherokee, NC next week. I say this because a previous poster mention pigeon forge. This is the other side of Smokey Mountain National Park. Should be a good time.

We've never camped there but always wanted to so I just booked a tent site for a long weekend next month. :woohoo:

Can you walk, bike, or golf cart to the attractions? Looking at the map, it looks like a fairly long walk....or do we use our car?

I'll give another big thumbs up to Stone Mountain. We camped there about three years ago and had a great time.

As the OP said, there is so much to do there, and it's actually pretty reasonable if you buy the wristband.

My kids (and I) loved the water slides....slides were shaded...and no lines...yet were very fun.

Went to the Laser Show just about every night.....just to enjoy the atmosphere out on the Great Lawn below the carving.

Stone Mountain Campground :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Can you walk, bike, or golf cart to the attractions? Looking at the map, it looks like a fairly long walk....or do we use our car?

Unless you're Lance Armstrong or an Olympic marathon runner, you'll have to drive to the attractions. That being said, SM is very popular with cyclists, but be warned, the terrain is pretty hilly.

Parking is free, and is usually not an issue unless you're trying to get to the laser show late in evening (weekends) as folks come into the park just for the show.

I seem to recall that they do have a trolley system, but don't hold me to this.

We had a lake front site, and like others have said, I had to pull the pop-up onto leveling pads to go the camper level. Our site was on about a 15' sloped bluff overlooking the lake.

Bathrooms were very nice.

Be sure to visit Six Flags WhiteWater in marrietta....one of nicest water parks around.

http://www.sixflags.com/whiteWater/index.aspx

Something my kids really enjoyed:
http://www.virtualtourist.com/trave...5807/Things_To_Do-Atlanta-Cyclorama-BR-1.html

Stone Mountain Park is owned by the same company which owns Dollywood, adjacent to the mountain, the great lawn/carving is a recreated old "village" which has the 4D theatre, and several restaurants, as well as many of the small shops previously mentioned.

If you go, be sure to see all that the wristband will cover...including the Plantation Home....even mini-golf....

I wish I was there now....

As far as transportation is concerned, if you are camping you can always take a water taxi to the mountain. We stayed in the loop near the camp office, all the sites were level in this loop and were near the pool.

Stone mountain is a great place to camp. We have annual passes and like to camp on the front loop. Be sure to go the Laser Show on the lawn. You can take a cooler and a blanket. It is GREAT fun for the family.

We just got back from Memorial Day Weekend. We spent 4 days there and it was great! I also answered my own question about the bike, cart, or walk to the attractions: I wouldn't do it.... DH and DS rode the bike trail around the mountain and they had to walk their bikes up a hill or two. I would have attempted the bike ride but my handlebars loosened after 10 minutes of riding and DH forgot the allen wrench (which I'm glad he did ;) . I don't think I could have handled all those hills.

Stone Mountain is a beautiful park. If you camp there, you can purchase a one-day attraction pass and get the second day for free. This is what we purchased but the next day we upgraded (paid the difference) for an annual membership because we're planning a couple of trips within the year. Just one more trip will pay for it. Being only 4 hours away and low camping fee (Military, Fire, and Police discounts availabe) we can't pass it up.

The Attractions:
1) The Mountain itself is a work of art. At night they have a laser/fireworks show projected on the carving. During the day you can take the Skyride to the top or brave it like DS and DH did, walk it! They did it in 28 minutes. I took the easy way up, skyride up but I walked down. Not bad at all. Next time I will attempt the walk up. It's 1.3 miles. First timers may want to do the walk down first to check out the terrain. We met a woman on the way up who I wonder today if she made it. She was walking with her family up when DH and DS went up. She was by herself on our way down and she was resting. She was only about a quarter of a mile up the mountain and had started an hour earlier. Apparently her family left her. DH said she was with her husband and two kids. She was too scared of the skyride but if she made it to the top, I'm sure she overcame her fears. DH was afraid she was near heat exhaustion. We waited for a few minutes and chatted with her just to make sure she would be ok.

2) The 4-D Theater: Tall Tales of the South. Excellent. DH has a hard time seeing 3-D but he had no problems here. I guess it was the dark setting that accomodates his eyes better. And a lot of water splashes which DS enjoyed.

3) Ride the Ducks: My favorite! I kid you not...our captain was Captain Donald! The Duck is an amphibious truck invented by the military (DUKW). If you have children, he will let them drive the duck when in the water. Small children, I think 9 and under must wear a life vest. We didn't get wet, Captain Donald doesn't like getting wet :confused3 so he put the front windshield up when we took the plunge. This is an additional ticket to ride but it's worth it. Usually $12 per person but we only paid $6 because we had purchased the annual membership earlier.

4) The Crossroads: This is an area where you can see glass blowers, blacksmiths, candle makers and candy making. Yum....fresh homemade fudge! DH's eyes rolled back and his toes curled when he ate the mint fudge. They also have street performers, story tellers, and a talking fountain.

5) Stone Mountain Museum: This is a must do. I think this should be first on the list so you can get a better understanding and appreciation of the mountain.

6) The Train: Loved it. I've never had a train ride that I didn't enjoy...and this one was cute. Halfway through the ride, there is a stop along the way where some slapstick performers entertain you for a few minutes. The ride was beautiful and so relaxing.

7) The Great Barn: This was DS(11) favorite. Anything that allows him to shoot foam balls at his parents is a winner with him.

8) The Treehouse Challenge: This was a take-it-or-leave it for DS. He liked it but got bored very quickly. I think he still had the Great Barn on his mind because we had to head back there and do it again before the laser show.

9) Camp Highland Outpost: This is an obstacle course. At first we thought it was only for kids because no adults were doing it. DH asked if he could do it and they said sure. Following DH's lead, almost all the other Dads joined it. I saw a couple of them ask the castmember....ummm employee, if it was ok. It was fun but short lived too. Only once is enough.

And a word of advice, if you go during a peak time like we did, stake-out your spot on the lawn early in the day. Throw down a blanket and a cooler in the early afternoon. The lawn fills up quickly close to sunset. We got along the edge so we could get up and hit the concession and restrooms without having to go through an obstacle course.

Now just a brief word about food. Good 'ole southern cooking and some of the best rolls I've ever eaten are at Miss Katie's Restaurant. And DH loved their sweet tea. This was casual dining. We also ate another meal at The Commons. This is at the golf course not far from the campground. It's a little more upscale. I had the Crab Bisque and of course their Fried Green Tomatoes. It's by far the best I've had in a long long time. DH had their ribs and he devoured them like there's no tomorrow. DS said he wanted to be risky and try their kid's menu of Hot Dog Quesadillas. He made no mistake, he loved them.

I'll report tomorrow on the campground, the amentities, the comfort station, the noise, etc.

Martha

Thank You so much for the reveiw. Its a place we've often considered. Now that you've given it the thumbs up we may have to try it.

I agree with the OP, there were a lot of sites that were not level at all. We saw some very creative uses of wood and stones wedged under the leveling jacks just to get it high enough to level it. Also, some of the pads had some very steep drop-offs so one must be careful backing in.

We were in Trail J, site 242. It was nice but we may try a different site next time that’s further from the main road. This one was convenient. Just a hop, skip, and jump to the comfort station and not far from the lake. We had plenty of privacy since there’s not a site beside 242. The only problem we had was that we were practically in full sun (we had a fan in our tent so it didn't heat up too bad plus we were only there during the evening) and the other problem was we were too close to the main road. Other sites on Trail J were fairly shaded. There was noise….not people noise, mechanical noise. The campground road parallels the main road with just a few feet between the two. Also, I didn’t realize that Atlanta International had flights in and out during the wee hours of the morning, but I do now. I got used to it by the second night. I was impressed by the lack of people noise. I guess most everyone stayed up until after the laser show each night and slept late like we did. Unlike FW, it didn’t have the early-to-bed and early-to-rise crowd.

The comfort station was nothing like FW but it was usable. Painted concrete floors, block walls, no bench in the showers, and one shower had a drainage problem….ewww. All-in-all, it was ok, I’ve seen worse, much worse. Temperature wise it was comfortable so I didn’t take note if it had air conditioning or not. There was a big fan in the end of one wall that ran all the time so maybe that’s what kept it cool. I did notice a lot of vehicles driving to our comfort station from Trail I. That loop doesn’t have a comfort station. We only saw one golf cart on the whole campground and it was in Trail I. I would highly recommend a golf cart for anyone staying in those loops without a comfort station or those large loops that only have one comfort station that requires a hike with hills. These loops would be Trail I, Trail B, and maybe mid-Trail M.

I only saw the pool from a distance. I couldn’t tell much about it for all the people. Very crowded…again this was Memorial Day Weekend.

Right before checking out, I noticed they had refillable mugs in the grocery store. I would have purchased one if I had known earlier. For $5.99 it allowed free refills on sodas, coffee, and hot chocolate.

I do want to comment on all the employees. The ones we met were very nice and were always smiling and chatty. This was at the campground and at the attractions area. DH kept calling them Cast Members. :laughing:

We’re going to make another trip there this summer so if you have any questions, just let me know and I’ll find your answer. :thumbsup2

The OP gave the Stone Mountain website so I won’t repost but here’s the direct link to the Campground Map:
http://www.stonemountainpark.com/images/maps/campground/smp_campground_map.pdf

I am glad that some of you have had the cahnce to visit. We will have to go back soon and I must agree with Martha when she said that the rolls at Miss Katie's were the best!!! I loved that place!! YUMMY

Martha

Thank You so much for the reveiw. Its a place we've often considered. Now that you've given it the thumbs up we may have to try it.

I'll try to get some pics of the sites when we go back this summer. We haven't decided when we will go yet. Our next few weekends will be booked with honey-do projects so it may be toward the end of summer.

One thing I forgot to mention, alcohol is not allowed in the park or campground but you can get any alcoholic drinks you want at the golf course restaurant. :thumbsup2 Which is not far from the campground.

Hmmm....maybe this was why there were no "people noise"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter