• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OT! Another FurBaby Needing Prayers

Newfie2000

<font color=green>Doesn't anyone make split pea so
I know this is very out of topic but I am sompletely devastated and could use some encouragement and prayers and did not know where else to go.
Six years ago we had a Black Lab named Pete who had just turned 6 years old and quite suddenly developed a large growing lump in his neck. To make a very long sad story short - Pete was my best friend and actually wore a tuxedo to my wedding at the church. One could not have asked for a better more perfect friend and companion. The biopsy showed it to be lymphoma and although we did everything in our power including chemotherapy about 16 months later and 13,000.00 we lost him. That was one of the hardest days of my life. But I have to tell you he did very well in chemo with no side effects and had a fantastic quality of life until the day he passed away. I would never allow or cause him to suffer!

About 10 months later, after my constant begging and asking we added a black lab puppy to our lives again. He is also extremely close to all of us and has proved to be a great dog. For those of you who have gone through this you know that once you have a heartbreaking experience like this you tend to worry a little more and are a little afraid of everything when you get a new companion. Well Mike will turn 5 in November and we regularly take him to the vet. One month ago we visited the vet for all of his regular shots and as always I thouroughly questioned him. In addition to the heartworm test I asked for a complete blood test and even went one step further demanding all of his organ function and enzymes also be run. Good results and I was immensely reassured. A week later he developed an oozing area on the back of his neck we treated it at home for about a week and did not seem to be gettting anywhere with it so back to the vet we went. It turned out to be some sort of allergic reaction that had gotten infected. They ran cultures and three strains of bacteria grew from it so we began intense antibiotic treatment.

About 7 days into the treatment they had to switch antibiotics because the culture was resisting them.

Less than a week later I found a mass about midway on his back right next to the spine. Two days later it had grown substantially. Remember this is a dog who had just undergone every test possible and results came in outstanding! I can not believe it! So again we took him to the vet and they are now scheduling a biopsy for tommorrow.

We as a family are devastated! How can this be happening to us again? I know that there is a possibility this is not cancer or an even greater possibility this is not lymphoma but we are scared. We love Mike with everything we have to give - and I do not think we can go through the whole chemo, surgery and losing another one not this soon - and not this way! I know to some of you this is only a dog...but Mike is so much more than that he is a family member!

As I write this I am in tears and am praying so hard that this is something at least treatable! We once again are willing to do everything in our power to keep him in our lives.

Until we get the results back we will just have to sit and wait...pray and hope!

Thank you all so much for listening and allowing me to vent. And if any of you have any extra prayers or pixiedust laying around we sure could use some!

fo out to you and your family. :love: . :grouphug:

I hope all turns out o.k..

I had my prayers answered for our beagle here on the DIS last year. again I wish you and your dog the best of luck. :love:

My heart goes out to you and your family. I hope your dog is ok and treatable. I too understand the heartache associated with losing a pet. They are our babies and we give them great lives and they make ours greater as well. :grouphug:

Newfie - I am saying a prayer for you and your furry guy. I LOVE my Newfie girl so much I would be devastated if something were to happen to her. Makes me teary just thinking of it. I can't imagine what you are going through I hope everything turns out well for you. :grouphug: Sorry you are going thru this scare again.

I have wondered about your username as I love Newfies.

Take care,

Lives4Disney

Lots of prayers and best wishes :grouphug: for you and your fur baby. Jack is our black lab and considered my third child so I know how important he must be to your family. Keep us posted.

My heart goes out to you and your family. I've had to say good-bye to many furbabies...3 in the past 7 years...and its really hard, so I completely understand. My prayers are with you! Please let us know what you find out!

Many prayers, much love and tons of pixie dust to you and your family (and that means the furry fam too!). I pray it's treatable and that he will be cured. Hugs from Penny and Luke (our furry family members) and the rest of my gang for everyone! Keep us posted!!!

prayers to you and your entire family!

our chocolate lab (Chip) has lumps now and we've been lucky they are all non cancerous (he's 6) - I hope the same for your puppy!

Well my little Lola(yellow lab- 7 weeks old) is sitting right here with me and after only one week of seeing what amazing dogs they are I can not imagine what you are feeling. Best of luck to your Mike! Lola sends her love. As does Harry our English bulldog. He is our 12 year old lump of love. He is in his bonus years. We were told he wouldn't make it to 10 and here he is older than anyone ever thought he could be. Hoping that it is nothing but a cyst.

Many hugs from us, too... I lost the love of my life, Cody - a 9y/o old black lab - to bone cancer nearly 2 years ago and still don't think I'll ever get over losing him.

I will keep your family and especially your precious baby Mike in my prayers. Please keep us posted.

Shelly with...
Drake, Buddy, and Max (our labs) and Sue the wonder beagle

:grouphug: and pixiedust: from my family (human and furry)....

Wishing you good results.....

We got Casey, our lab, at 7wks old. At 4 mths we found out she had hip dysplasia in both hips. We never knew how things would turn out. We thought if she had 5-7 good yrs with us then we could be at peace.

She'll be turning 10 this Spring and can still chase a squirrel or bunny and is unmedicated for now ....You never know how these things turn out.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Thank you guys all so much! It is helping me to try and relax and just get through the night! I am not sure how much sleep I will actually get but some of you have given me some great info and a glimpse of hope that I could not seem to find a little while ago! I will definitely keep you all posted!

You are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope things go well with your dog!

Sending lots of love and prayers to your furbaby. We are "dog people" here too. I have 2 dogs, Holly who is 4 and part pomeranian and part sneaky neighbor dog, and then Liberty who is a 4 month old black lab. It would break my heart to lose either of them.

Pixie Dust and Prayers coming your way, and a second helping of pixie dust from our furbabies to yours.

Thank you so much everyone for all your thoughts and prayers! Okay we went to the vet today... I am kind of disappointed to say that we still do not have a lot to report. The mass had changed dratically overnight and become much harder. The vets initial reaction was to watch and watch another 1-2 weeks, during that time period using hot compresses and checking for attachment and growth. He feels that this could be a severe reaction to the rabies shot that he received a month ago? :confused3 But if that is truly the problem I will gladly take that over any of the other possibilities! Because Mike has been on such intense antibiotics he does not feel it could possibly be an abcess or any type of infection. And because of the size and consistency he is not sure that he would be able to do a needle aspiration/biopsy so the next step would be cutting out a cross section... but he wants to wait a while before thinking about that. We are kind of undecided about possibly having to approach it that way and I am leaning towards going directly to an oncologist before I would let him open him up only to remove a cross-section. But obviously we are hoping for the best, sitting on pins and needles... once again waiting! Praying for it to be only a reaction to the rabies shot! Thank you once again and I will keep you posted! Be sure to give all of your precious furbabies lots of love!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter