OT- Adoption ???

My son was adopted from South Korea. I did extensive research on international adoption prior to deciding that my child was in Korea. If you have interest in IA please feel free to ask. Adoption is an amazing journey.

Classes to placement was 10 months for us. We were VERY fast. Classes in August and kiddos the following June. We finalized 5 months later in November. In my experience, some people go a bit faster and many go a bit slower. We were all over getting our paperwork and classes done quickly.

We only had four months between the time we started classes to having our daughter placed with us as a foster child. We had ten weeks of classes, about 3 hours each, and a ton of paperwork, home visits, etc. She was with us as a foster child for five months before the adoption was finalized. We're in Alabama and there was a big push last year to complete adoptions of foster kids whose parents had already terminated their rights.

For us, though it wasn't without its frustrations, it was ultimately a pretty easy process. We would have had a hard time affording international or regular domestic adoption, so foster care was a great option for us. I'd be glad to answer any questions about our experience.

While I specifically can not help you with foster adopt I wanted to wish you well on this amazing journey. My two sons are adopted from Russia. It was the most amazing experience of our lives and they are just the loves of my life.

I am an adoptive Mommy, my ODD was born in Guatemala. I just wanted to wish you luck on this awesome trip you are about to take. :love: There is a website that includes information on both domestic and international adoptions. www.adoption.com

I don't want to put a damper on things, put people aren't mentioning that older adopted children, particularly children that come out of foster care, often come with a lot of emotional baggage. Along with that baggage also comes some behavioral issues. I am not saying that it is not worth it, but I am saying that you need to be prepared, sometimes the transition can be rough. Hopefully your local agency will discuss this and the need for family counseling with you.

In addition, in this area if you are willing to be placed with a child that is African American, biracial, or Latino, your placement is often quicker, even with infants. If you are African American yourself your placement is even quicker.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter