OT- 2yr old with bilateral clubfeet

Momto3Disneyprinces

Earned my Ears Long Ago
OK, I have a question, does anyone out there have a little one with bilateral clubfeet? And, if so, how in the heck do you get them to hold still at this age to get the dang shoes on???:headache: I have to practically wrestle him to get him to hold still?! Or, it takes two of us....Gosh, I can't wait until he is out of these dang things....

Although, it is the only thing keeping him in his crib right now!! He can't get his legs apart to get up and over.:rotfl2: He is really good natured about it for the most part, and he has even figured out how to walk in the blessed things.....You should see him fly!! But, it would be nice if he held still for a couple of minutes...(then again, he won't hold still for a diaper change, so what makes me think he would hold still for shoes!!??:rotfl:

Try putting him in his high chair (unless it has leg holes in the plastic) and give him a snack while you put his shoes on him.

I'm glad a I saw your question. I can't help you out, but we are thinking of adopting a baby with the same issue. She is 6mos. old and also wearing the shoes with the bar between them. The adoption worker told us she would probably be in them until she is 3. I'm worried about her learning how to crawl/walk. She is not yet sitting up. She was in a cast and turning over, etc., but as soon as the shoes went on she refused to even try to sit up. I guess it's still very uncomfortable for her. She has to wear them 23 hrs. a day right now.

We're a little afraid of what might be involved in taking care of her, but we know that this is a condition that can be corrected. I just wish it wouldn't take years...

Do you have any tips/advice on how to take care of her? Thanks!:thumbsup2

I have a 5yr old with bi-lat clubfeet. I remember your frustrations. :headache: He is a wonderful little boy that played soccer and now is on a basketball team. Both things were activities I wasn't sure he would be able to do. His feet do get tired so he rides in a stroller at WDW and the mall if we are there very long. He had to do some re-correction(casting and bar with shoes) at age 4 but I can see major improvements since. I HIGHLY reccomend a couple of support groups that are great for info on child with CF. There are many people that have adopted children with cf support, nosurgery4clubfoot, and clubfootsupport at yahoo. There is a couple of drs that are great for older children too. As far as keeping them on, make it part of bedtime routine, not the last thing you do before putting in bed, give rewards for keeping them on all night, and lots of praises. It is hard, my 2yr old hated it too. But I folded and he ended up not fully corrected and had to start over. You really don't want to have to carry a 4yr old to the potty in casts. :sad2:
BTW, way to go in walking in them!! I am impressed!

He has been a little trooper through it all. He is very adaptable! He just had his 2yr check-up, and the doctor was absolutely amazed at how good his feet look. Our ortho is at Children's in Boston...He is the top guy, and is just awesome. The best thing I can tell anyone with a little one with Clubfeet is to follow through with the shoes....It is hard, and they will fight you a little from time to time, but it is worth it. The 23 hour a day was the hardest, but they do get used to it. My DS was lucky too, he had older brothers that he wanted to keep up with, so that gave him the encouragement to learn to move in them. Maybe try playgroups or daycare with other kids....She'll want to keep up....Good luck.

We just found out last night that we were chosen for the baby girl!!! She's 7mos. and wearing the shoes 23hrs. a day right now. She's being treated at one of the best children's hospitals in the country, so we know she'll be okay after her years of treatment. We're excited and nervous all at the same time!:love:

holden:

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: to your new family...I know she will be wonderful. I see in your sig that you have a DD who is 4. This will be the perfect inspiration for your new DD to get moving, shoes and all!!! Nothing motivates better than an older sibbling to bother and chase!!:rotfl: Good luck!!!

Thanks for the congrats. I'm sure DD will be very helpful (and inspirational) to our new little one!

I am so happy for you and your family, and especially for your new daughter! What a wonderful Thanksgiving gift!

We just found out last night that we were chosen for the baby girl!!! She's 7mos. and wearing the shoes 23hrs. a day right now. She's being treated at one of the best children's hospitals in the country, so we know she'll be okay after her years of treatment. We're excited and nervous all at the same time!:love:

Congratulations on your new little girl!! What a blessing! You will come to find that her feet are only a small part of who she is and that very soon they won't be an issue. Hoping you have a "Gotcha Day" very soon!! :grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter