Osborne Family Spectacle Of Dancing Lights

Thanks Tristan for the update!

Could you answer a somewhat unrelated question that I've always wondered about?

Does the family retain any say in how, or where, the lights are used or does Disney have sole discretion? Other than coming from the Osborne family, I don't know a lot of the story. I don't want to bother you with having to write too long a response, but I'd love to hear the story of how they ended up going to Disney and if there were any terms that the family presented that governed their use. I remember seeing them the first year they went up and it's one of the must-do's for our travels.

Lets see if I can answer your question:
The contract that the family signs each 5 years is simply for the family name. (I've only seen the contract in passing, and I've never had the chance to read it.) But from what I've witnessed it's a pretty simple 2-3 page contract. I know they don't consult us each year that the lights are added. (Since Jennings passed away, those questions would be pointed to my wife Breezy and her mother Mitzi, and since Mitzi tells us about everything I think we'd be privy if she was being consulted.) As far as if Jennings was consulted, I do know that in the first year of the lights Jennings sent (on his own dime) a few of the guys that originally hung the lights in Little Rock, to help them figure out how all the props and such worked and were put together. Since that first year I'm unsure that he ever had any say.

I'd be pretty assured that since that in past years they used the families likeness(s) and name on many products for sale at the lights that maybe Jennings was consulted or at least the families PR people were consulted. (But I'm not concrete on this.)

As far as the lights going to Disney: Jennings neighbors were worried that emergency vehicles couldn't make it through to their homes when the lights were on. I remember being a kid and seeing the lights and when people say that there would be miles of traffic, they we're exaggerating, there was easily 2-3 miles of cars going each direction to see the lights. The courts forced Jennings to hire additional police officers (he already had 5 or 6 officers there to help with security) to direct traffic so that cars that simply wanted to pass by could do so (his home was on a 4 lane road, so the officers simply made everyone wanting to look stay in the outermost lanes.)

The neighbors still complained, this time about how bright the lights were, so the courts forced Jennings to shut the lights off at a predetermined time each night I believe 9pm. (the lights were generally turned off at around 10-10:30 each night. There is a video of Jennings explaining this whole deal in which he states "The Judge told me that if one bulb of the display was left on after 9pm he'd face a $10,000 dollar fine, well one night a little girl and her family had driven up just after the lights were turned off and said they'd driven for over an hour to see the lights and the little girl was upset that they were turned off for the night, so I turned them back on so that the little girl would be happy, it was the best $10,000 dollars I ever spent." (I'll try to find the video and post it.)

After a few more complaints the case made it to the supreme court and Jennings was forced to take his display down. (Although he still kept a few items up each Christmas, but no where near the magnitude of the original display. It drew very little traffic.)

Jennings was friends with a lot of very famous people and decided to see if they'd want there home towns decorated, and they did, sot he lights toured most of the major cities in Arkansas, he lit up Graceland (Elvis's home) a few times, he even lit a very close personal friend, President Jimmy Carters home town. He did this on his own dime each time, and never once charged a dime to any one.

Word got to Disney's John Phelan that the lights were a sight to be seen, and he began trying to contact Jennings and Jennings thought the calls were a prank, Jennings and his family had been going to Disney each year for a long time, and he never thought of his display as being "Disney-Caliber". Finally John Phelan got through to Jennings that it wasn't a prank and they really wanted the lights and the story of the lights at Disney. That year 12 mayflower 18 wheeler semi trucks showed up to the home of Jennings and picked them up!

Jennings had smaller displays that he kept using for local towns in Arkansas, and he even still had an all blue light display put up at Graceland each year until the early 2000's.

I hope this answers some of the questions.:santa:

Does anyone remember a time when they handed out what my wife describes as "3D" glasses for viewing of the lights? I suspect that instead of "3D" glasses what they actually were was grating glasses which caused the lights to have a starburst effect. However, I can find no reference to these glasses other than my wife's recollection from several years ago...

Cheers,
--Lee

Funny you mention this, as part of the Frozen / Lights package this year they gave out some of those paper glasses that made all the lights look like Mickey heads! I'll try to snap a pic of them!:worship:

I remember when they were on Residential street. I really enjoyed that. We saw them this year on 12/21 but because of the rain and threat of lightening, they did not allow the lights to "dance" with the music.

How would they do that though? I don't think the shops affected by that area will be happy with not allowing potential customers in. I think the amount of crowds drawn to DTD would create enough "well we are already here, let's shop" to justify it. I don't see needing park admission to be a big deal. Most people there will be paying to go to WDW already. Many locals have season passes and people who traveled will likely already be visiting WDW. It would allow Universal guests to experience it though.

I think it's a good idea. We barely made it to DTD last trip. I just don't really feel the need. But if the lights were there, I'd probably make a whole day of it and not use a park admission that day. Sleep in, get there for a late lunch, see a matinee, do some shopping, see the lights for a while, dinner, and back to the lights. It would also allow them to keep the lights on much later, which has been a problem with them being at the studios, which usually closes at 8.

That's what I mean by logistics I don't know about.
But I can't see it being free.

No way DS could handle the crowds that would come for a free light show like this.

Maybe they'll build a temporary structure(s) somewhere like a lot of places do with the "drive-thru" light shows. And then, of course, still charge.

This is very interesting!

We would gladly see the lights just about anywhere. We would also pay a reasonable fee.

Does anyone remember a time when they handed out what my wife describes as "3D" glasses for viewing of the lights? I suspect that instead of "3D" glasses what they actually were was grating glasses which caused the lights to have a starburst effect. However, I can find no reference to these glasses other than my wife's recollection from several years ago...

Cheers,
--Lee

One year (I would estimate 1998, but could have been 2002) the glasses allowed the lights to turn into angels. Those were very neat.

The lack of admission would be a detriment to a Disney Springs but most of the renovation will be done be the holidays. The lights are a good way to promote the mostly completed venue, and a great way to drive foot traffic to the stores and restaurants.

I still think it makes most sense for the lights to be behind a gate, but DS does not seem completely far fetched.

Or the lights drive business to Disney Springs.

This is very interesting!

We would gladly see the lights just about anywhere. We would also pay a reasonable fee.

Whoa, 'Reasonable fee'...this is Disney we're talking about.

Special Osborne light hard ticket event = $69.99 ($64.99 presale)!

So So Happy to hear this news !! Just booked ( Dec.) our 1st trip as a family and my 10 yr old son's 1st ever trip to Disney . Looking so forward to seeing THE LIGHTS !!!

We haven't seen the Lights since 2009. It was very crowded, but we're glad we did it. Having said that, not in a hurry to go back again.

Thanks for posting again Tristan. I'm glad to hear that is is a good chance the lights are safe for another year. We scheduled our next trip just so we can be there when the lights are lit in 2015. We missed them last year by a few days and had to skip this year. We'll be there Oct 30 to Nov 8, 2015. We are very excitied to see the lights for the first time. Please tell Breezy thanks too for asking her Dad for the lights and starting this wonderful thing.

Tristan...wow...thanks for taking the time to offer such a detailed response :) My apologies for my delayed response as I've been out of the country.

I've seen some of the generally available stories, but I've had enough dealings with the media that I don't waste much time reading their more-often-than-not inaccurate accounts. I sincerely appreciate times when I can learn directly from those involved.

It's a great story and I hope your family knows how far reaching an effect this gift has had. My now college age kids still have, as some of their earliest Disney memories, recollections of the first time they saw the lights. With any luck the lights will be around long enough for their kids to see them.

I hope Disney continues to do right by your family. You deserve to have them displayed in a way that does justice to the story behind them.

Take care and please pass our thanks to your family

But wow! Thanks Tristan for popping up and telling us the behind the scenes story. Saw them for the first time this trip and it was easily the best part of the trip with my family and 3 little boys.

We missed them last year by a few days and had to skip this year. We'll be there Oct 30 to Nov 8, 2015. We are very excitied to see the lights for the first time.

Well, the lights weren't lit until 7 Nov. in 2014. However, if they follow recent convention, they will be lit on 6 Nov. this year, so you should be safe.

This was our first year viewing the lights!!! WOW!

We missed the show in 2010 when the kids were popped before dark. We made it a destination this year and were not disappointed. The show was simply amazing. We have seen shows before with the same number of total lights but were spread out over acres and acres. The sheer concentration of lights in the "small" area is unbelievable.

We're so glad we got to view the show in this spot before it is moved and only hope Disney doesn't just move the show to a place that doesn't live up to the placement of the last 19 years.

Tristan, what's the story behind the orange cat, which I found in different places the two times I went this year?

Tristan, what's the story behind the orange cat, which I found in different places the two times I went this year?
They really moved it around this year. It moved at least every few days. I think that is cool tho because your always looking for it every time you go.

Well, the lights weren't lit until 7 Nov. in 2014. However, if they follow recent convention, they will be lit on 6 Nov. this year, so you should be safe.

Hopefully you are right. I planned my trip with that in mind.

Awesome information. I love the lights. It is so amazing and I would hate to ever see them leave that exact location. Also love the streets of America so I hope I never see either leave.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter