Osborne family lights at MGM?

HappyCamperToo

Fish gotta fly
I've got a few questions, for those who might know....Will these be up this year? Where exactly are they? Inside the park, right? Does it involve a queue of some sort to see? How long does it take to see them all? Have you seen them? What did you think?
Thanks so much!

One of the "back roads" at MGM is decorated just like a neighborhood street with a tremendous number of lights. Here's a link http://www.allearsnet.com/tp/h_osb.htm. We visited on a really chilly night just before Thanksgiving. There was "snow" falling. It was really magical.

HappyCamperToo said:
I've got a few questions, for those who might know....Will these be up this year? Where exactly are they? Inside the park, right? Does it involve a queue of some sort to see? How long does it take to see them all? Have you seen them? What did you think?
Thanks so much!

Yes, they'll be up once more! Here's the official blurb from Disney about them: click here

It is inside MGM, so you'll need to have park admission to see them.

Not so much a queue as a mass. Everyone congregates on the main NY street scene where a little show takes place with a countdown. Then the lights are all turned on, the snow flies, and everyone starts making their way up the street to walk through the lighted area. Depending on the crowd and how much time you take to look at everything, I'd say the viweing takes between 15 and 30 minutes. My recommendation is to be on the street for the pre-show, but then go do something else or sit and enjoy a snack - give some time for the crwod to disperse before tring to make your way through the lights.

We see them every year. It's pretty amazing! EVREYTHING is covered in lights; something you don't see in most neighborhoods!

Thanks for all the links!!!

It was disappointing to read that Deb Wills thinks the lights have lost their hometown feel, but I know it's still going to be on our "must do" list. Anyone know the crowd pattern? I'm guessing heaviest at the beginning "lighting" of the lights. Does it slow down after that, or pick up as the night goes on? I'm guessing it might thin as Fantasmic starts, and get really heavy after fantasmic is over. Does this sound right? I use an electric scooter and want to go when I won't be a "sardine" if possible.
Thanks.

It takes me a good hour to get through! They are just incredible--even more so when you think that some guy had these up at his HOUSE. There isn't much of a que or line, but a confused, gape mouthed mass. That is my one criticism is that it isn't set up well for traffic flow, but take your ECV, go and ENJOY!

HCT, yes, the crowds do dissipate some as the night goes on. And during Fantasmic! is a great time to see it. It really is beautiful, as is the whole World at that time of the year.

I also miss the neighborhood version of the lights, but the city streets are still spectacular. if you don"t have a little person who needs to go to sleep, definitely wait until the first rush is over and take your time. They millions of lights -- literaly -- are so overwhelming, I couldn't really take it in the first time. Relax, get some sugared almonds, resist the urge to stick out your tongue to catch snowflakes (it's soap) and enjoy the glorious spectacle at your own speed.

We were at MGM last week and they are already starting to put up the lights. We were talking to one of the technicians and he said this year they were going to be "Dancing" lights. Something different. They've been working for 2 months already!

Got tickets for the party on the 13th.. :santa: .do you think they'll be lit if we go over to MGM on the 14th? Thanks...Barb

Try to avoid weekend nights if you can. When I arrived at MGM on a Sat. night in early December, they weren't letting people into the park until enough people exited! Then once inside, there was a LONG, SLOW line to see the lights.

I saw the Osborne Lights for the first time last year (didn't bother with the 'opening gala' or whatever they do), and gotta tell ya, that's my idea of heaven!! It was fantastic! My next trip to WDW during the holiday season will include a much longer time in that area. This first trip, I was just in awe and walking around it all. Kids are all grown up and no fun anymore, and I really enjoyed watching all the little kids and their fascination too. I'm starting to think my favorite time in WDW is the post Thanksgiving/pre Christmas time.

Does anyone know why The Osborne Family Spectacle of Lights is only an hour long on December 8th? And the park closes an hour early too?

The Lights will turn on starting Nov 13th or 14th same as last year thru Jan.7 I believe.

disneyfan219 said:
Does anyone know why The Osborne Family Spectacle of Lights is only an hour long on December 8th? And the park closes an hour early too?
I don't know for sure, but I think it could be a POP Warner kid night?

Yes, I believe 12/8 is Pop Warner night at MGM.

A friendly word of advice: do not wait until the end of your trip to see the lights, and be aware (as we were not!) that a rainy-ish day is apparently enough reason for the lights to be "cancelled" (that is, not turned on!). We were at MGM last December on a drizzly day. No hard rain, no downpours, and it was completely over by nightfall. However, "because of the rain, " (we were told by several CMs we asked) the lights were not put on that night (and we didn't have time in our trip to get back for them). I know it seems bizzare -- they've got to be outdoor quality lights, right? -- and that's why we asked several CMs. What made me more upset than the seemingly weird decision not to turn them on was the total lack of warning/signage at the gates, where families were coming in (many with sleeping or very sleepy little ones) CLEARLY just to see the lights, and no one was telling them that the lights weren't on! Oh well. We're going back this December and will be better prepared, but just wanted to share this tip so YOU don't have to wait an extra year to see the lights!

bleeps said:
Yes, I believe 12/8 is Pop Warner night at MGM.

A friendly word of advice: do not wait until the end of your trip to see the lights, and be aware (as we were not!) that a rainy-ish day is apparently enough reason for the lights to be "cancelled" (that is, not turned on!). We were at MGM last December on a drizzly day. No hard rain, no downpours, and it was completely over by nightfall. However, "because of the rain, " (we were told by several CMs we asked) the lights were not put on that night (and we didn't have time in our trip to get back for them). I know it seems bizzare -- they've got to be outdoor quality lights, right? -- and that's why we asked several CMs. What made me more upset than the seemingly weird decision not to turn them on was the total lack of warning/signage at the gates, where families were coming in (many with sleeping or very sleepy little ones) CLEARLY just to see the lights, and no one was telling them that the lights weren't on! Oh well. We're going back this December and will be better prepared, but just wanted to share this tip so YOU don't have to wait an extra year to see the lights!

With that in mind, is it unreasonable to think that I might be able to make a ADR at 4:50 (@MGM), see the lights sometime between 6:00-7:00 and make it to DTD/Cirque for the 9:00pm show? I was hoping that leaving the park at 7:00 would allow us to get out quickly. Now, this seems very unlikely. Is it all possible to catch a taxi direct from MGM to DTD? What would you do?

disneyfan219 said:
With that in mind, is it unreasonable to think that I might be able to make a ADR at 4:50 (@MGM), see the lights sometime between 6:00-7:00 and make it to DTD/Cirque for the 9:00pm show? I was hoping that leaving the park at 7:00 would allow us to get out quickly. Now, this seems very unlikely. Is it all possible to catch a taxi direct from MGM to DTD? What would you do?
This should be doable, but are you sure that you want to plan every second of your day? I've found that this commando-type schedule is impossible to keep and just causes stress.

Honestly, it should only take you about 1/2 hour if you take your time to see the lights in MGM. They are located on NY Street, which is ... what? .... 100 yards long? However, this is contigent on being a less busy night in which you can enter/exit the area whenever you're ready.

Looks like there will be changes to this year's Spectacle of Lights!

Glad I'll be going in about 7 weeks! :santa:
New enhancements for this years Osborne lights

Spectacle of Lights Transforms Disney-MGM Studios -- The Streets of America backlot area sparkles with millions of twinkling lights beginning Nov. 13 and continuing through Jan. 7, 2007, during the Osborne Family Spectacle of Lights, presented by Sylvania. This year, the spectacle has been enhanced to include choreographed “dancing” lights which swirl and soar to an exhilarating medley of holiday music every 15 minutes, thanks to electronic wizardry featuring more than 400 dimmers. Every building façade, all the trees, wreaths, bells and holiday figures dance to classic tunes among “Florida snow” flurries. Also bringing the Disney-MGM Studios backlot to life are three-dimensional and motion-based displays – some originally created at the Osborne home in Arkansas by businessman Jennings Osborne as a holiday display for the delight of his daughter.

After the home exhibit grew larger and brighter over the years, the million-light display was transported to Disney-MGM Studios in 1995, where the spectacle continues to grow larger and brighter each year. Some of Osborne's original creations still sparkling brightly at the park today are a giant Mickey Mouse light, dozens of flying angels and Santa Claus light designs.

The "Hollywood Holly-Day Parade," a festival of favorite Disney characters dressed in their dazzling holiday best, jingles down Hollywood Boulevard this holiday season as well.

As snow falls overhead, the Streets of America backlot cityscape at Disney-MGM Studios comes alive with millions of sparkling lights each evening. Snowflakes sparkle while colored lights put on a show -- twirling as carousels, marching on air as toy soldiers and taking flight as Santa and his reindeer. The lightshow is in collaboration with Arkansas businessman Jennings Osborne, who developed the display for his daughter. When his idea outgrew his home, he worked with Disney to provide a new home for the seasonal fun. The dazzling spectacle is included with Disney-MGM Studios admission.

Does anyone know what time they turn on the lights?

We'll be there 11-12 to 11-17 and would love to see the lights. But, we will have a little one with us who now goes to bed about 7:00 pm each evening. (have been talking with her about staying up later!! :goodvibes ).

Thoughts to share??

I believe the offical time is 6pm. It is a pretty cool area to be in. We didn't hang out for the official turning on the lights. It can get pretty crowded even during the weekdays, but there was still plenty of room to move around. You can click on the My Disney Trip Photographs and Video link in my signature. Under the video folder I have a 3 minute video clip of the Osborne Lights.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter