• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Orthodontist?

wallawallakids

DIS Veteran
I know this is another orthodontist thread but I am seriously at a loss about what to do. We have 4 kids, all 4 need some treatment but one can wait a few years. I am now starting the process with the other three. She is offering a payment plan without interest, but if I pay up front I save 5%. To me 5% isn't a lot of a savings, but with this much money going out, it comes to a little over $400, which is real money. Also the hassle of not paying every month is nice too. She was going to get back to me on if she will give me a cash discount on top of that or if she will give me another discount for paying all 3 up front. Here is my question: 1) is there any con with paying it all in advance. And 2) is it worth taking the money from savings to save $400? It would be around a third of our savings. I am having a hard time wresting the fact of saving money, vs. having more cash on hand? Any thoughts? What have you done? Thanks!

I know this is another orthodontist thread but I am seriously at a loss about what to do. We have 4 kids, all 4 need some treatment but one can wait a few years. I am now starting the process with the other three. She is offering a payment plan without interest, but if I pay up front I save 5%. To me 5% isn't a lot of a savings, but with this much money going out, it comes to a little over $400, which is real money. Also the hassle of not paying every month is nice too. She was going to get back to me on if she will give me a cash discount on top of that or if she will give me another discount for paying all 3 up front. Here is my question: 1) is there any con with paying it all in advance. And 2) is it worth taking the money from savings to save $400? It would be around a third of our savings. I am having a hard time wresting the fact of saving money, vs. having more cash on hand? Any thoughts? What have you done? Thanks!
Having had 2 kids in braces at the same time, my first question to you is - have you gotten more than just one opinion as to the necessity of orthodontic work on all your kids? In reality, no one in the world has a perfect bite, and everyone needs braces (in the orthodontic world). Sometimes it's not really necessary. Many times it's not necessary to do it "right now".

I have two kids in braces right now, with a third about to start expander treatment. I love the no finance fee payment plans. I would not dig into your savings to save $400. JMHO. I had my husband set up a flex account with his employer so that we at least get pre-taxed money to use for the payments. He could only put $2400 into his account, but we don't miss the money from his checks and I have the prepaid card to use for the orthodontist payments or any medical visits we have.

I did see three different orthodontists before deciding. They all said the same thing. Sadly, they have over bites/ cross bites that need to be fixed so it is more then just "crooked teeth". I actually chose this one because she was the least aggressive of the 3 we visited and the only one who said I could wait on my youngest DD. :)

Thanks Kellydelly! It is good to hear another perspective. I didn't think the savings seemed all that much, but I am a penny pincher, so the idea of throwing away a savings made me nervous! Yet spending my savings makes me nervous too! So it is nice to hear what I am thinking from another person. I appreciate it.

I only had one DS that ended up with braces. Our ortho also had a no fee payment plan which is what we did. I made a payment every month (they were split up into 36 months) and made the payment with my Disney Visa... might as well get the Disney points!

We always did/do the interest free payment plan. Two are paid, paying on the third, starting the fourth in about six months. He said we could wait on the fifth - cosmetic only (teeth look perfect, just a little off in the back that might self correct with more teeth). DH puts the max in flex spending, limited to $2500 (used to be $5000).

Just a quick run of that about $16,000 over 3 years tells me you want to make monthly payments and put those funds into a stable, but interest bearing savings of some kind--money market, etc. because that $16,000 will earn more than $400.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter