Orlando with no credit card

Scottish_Maleficent

DIS Veteran
A friend of mine is going to Orlando next year and does not have a credit card. He says he doesn't use one and does not intend to get one befire he goes.
Has anyone had any experience of going without a credit card?
Is it possible??
To me it is indispensible, buy my friend says he will be prepaying all his car insurance before he goes, and so he shouldn't need one.

The car rental company will demand a credit card regardless of whether or not he has pre-payed his insurance and taxes. It is the agencies protection against any incidental costs (parking tickets etc). The rental company will probably accept a cash deposit, so tell him to take a couple of hundred dollars extra!

The hotel is also likely to want a credit card imprint.

I would advise getting a card - even if it gets cut in two on return to the UK. They are great for 'emergencies'. Eg, any medicines, doctors fees etc can be placed on the card then reclaimed from your travel insurance on the return home.

I am having virgins platingham insurance (or whatever they call it) and i emailed Dollar to ask if they would still need a credit card imprint from me and they said no.

I have just received the Dollar voucher for my September trip. I have opted to prepay everything, but it states a credit card will be required? :confused:

Anyway, with Dollar you will need the card to pay for all the upgrades they will talk you into!!!

Originally posted by AngieUK
I am having virgins platingham insurance (or whatever they call it) and i emailed Dollar to ask if they would still need a credit card imprint from me and they said no.

Hi

we have this also and have been advised no credit card is needed. We took the ug insurance on a previous trip and pait a flat rate £200 for ug (nothing extra for insurance).

On same previous trip we also paid about $100 deposit at hotel and advsied we would not be charging anything - the hotel were happy with this.

We were quite worried about same thing as a few years back we had serious debt problems and can not get a cc at the moment. We plan on asking abnk for debit only Visa so perhaps your friend may want to take one of these.

Hi

I must say, I would feel very uncomfortable going without a Credit Card. Strangely enough, I don't use it that much, but like the security of 'just in case'

A few trips ago, friends who we travelled with needed some minor medical treatment. The bill came to $200 which is a big chunk of spending money if you don't have the spare cash.

Maxine;)

I suppose becaus eI know that we wont have one I am planning extra spending money - we have already prepaid our car insurance and passes, I hope to take about £2500 minimum (for myself, Dh, DS7, DD4, DD3) plus we will have about another £1000 in our Cirrus/Debit Visa account.

If we cant live on that - about $380 per day - (even with emergencies) we have a serious problem.

When we went in 2000 we didn't take a credit card. I didn't own or want one.....

We had absolutely no problems what so ever.

Tony

i have been to florida twice without a credit card the last time was 2 years ago so cant imagine it has changed that much (although it's ths states we're talking about) anyhoo i have rented the car both times and had no problems although this year i will be taking the credit card for emergencies like,(shopping ,clothes,shopping and maybe some more shopping) its quivering already lol, but i'm always a bit wary about giving my credit card, details, out as you hear so many cases of fraud by hotel staff resturant .s ect (hope not to offend anyone) so will use mostly cash and tc for these sort of things ,god i've done it again ramble,ramble,ramble its the exitement 11 days cant help meeself lol:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Originally posted by banjo
anyhoo

This gave me a laugh reading 'anyhoo' on the boards!

Anyhoo enjoy your stay, dont hit the cc too much and take this bloody rain away from Glasgow when you go ;)

Where in Glasgow r u from?

Clydebank - other half is originally from Pollok tho', have friends in Crookston also, I went to Cardonald college for evening classes about 2 years ago!

we take a credit card but we tend not to use it - we use our debit card a lot though. The credit card company and the hotel will all quite happily take a debit card instead, as long as it has a Visa or Mastercard logo - in fact they will have no idea whether it is a credit or debit card, and they won't care.

A switch card won't work though - it's a different system.

Bev

Scottish_Maleficent said

" thank you all you glesgae folk for your info........."

hhhmmmm........

"glesga" if yur fae the West Coast :cool:

"glesgae" iy ye urnae :p

too rite!!!! anyhoo spoke to me sis and she wasnt asked for a credit card when she picked up her car from dollar at sanford on sat just thought i'd get my penny's worth in :rolleyes:

we also didn't have any problems, i was conerned about this when we travelled in may, but were not asked for a card at any time, dollar or the hotel. don't plan on using one next time either.

sam

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter