• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Orlando West/Lakeland airport

walter

DIS Veteran
Now that Direct Air flies out of Niagara Falls, NY (option for Western NY & Ontario, Canada travelers), does anyone out there in "DIS Land" have any info on this airport such as distance from WDW, rental car companies including shuttles, etc. Any info would be greatly appreciated (website for airport does not provide much info).

I would not recommend Linder Regional in Lakeland. I would recommend Direct Air even less.

It is more than an hour drive to WDW. The only major car rental is Hertz, but they do have a local company I've never heard of. They have three "airlines" listed, Direct Air, an in-Florida only service airline, and another small charter service.

Researching Direct Air, they are not an airline. They are a company that sets up charter flights, using multiple charter carriers. If you reserve through them you will not know who is the actual company providing the service. And charter companies have a propensity to cancel flights if they don't have enough passengers or freight.

Linder Regional is a small charter airport. I live about 35 minutes from WDW...and Lakeland Linder is about 20 minutes further south from my house....so I would say it would take you just about an hour to get to WDW.

I have flown with Direct Air before. They are their own airline. We flew to Myrtle Beach with them 3 years ago. I was not happy with the service or communication to their passengers. I called to confirm our flight time home & arrived 2 hours before only to find out that our flight was 3 hours beyond what it was supposed to be. When I questioned the info desk they laughed & said the flight time had been like that for the past 2 months but that direct air can't be bothered to let anyone know. There were no reps from the airline to even speak to once you were past the security area. We will never fly with them again - no matter the price.

My parents lived in Lakeland for years and DF worked at Disney. He drove it all the time and it's about an hour but nice drive though. It seems like it's less than an hour but may be the excitement. Lakeland is a nice area. HTH!

I would not recommend Linder Regional in Lakeland. I would recommend Direct Air even less.

It is more than an hour drive to WDW. The only major car rental is Hertz, but they do have a local company I've never heard of. They have three "airlines" listed, Direct Air, an in-Florida only service airline, and another small charter service.

Researching Direct Air, they are not an airline. They are a company that sets up charter flights, using multiple charter carriers. If you reserve through them you will not know who is the actual company providing the service. And charter companies have a propensity to cancel flights if they don't have enough passengers or freight.

I have flown with Direct Air before. They are their own airline. We flew to Myrtle Beach with them 3 years ago. I was not happy with the service or communication to their passengers. I called to confirm our flight time home & arrived 2 hours before only to find out that our flight was 3 hours beyond what it was supposed to be. When I questioned the info desk they laughed & said the flight time had been like that for the past 2 months but that direct air can't be bothered to let anyone know. There were no reps from the airline to even speak to once you were past the security area. We will never fly with them again - no matter the price.

I believe these posts describe the current state of Direct Air's service into Linder Regional and what one could expect at least in the near term.

This will maybe be moved to the Transportation Forum?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter