• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Orlando weather in december???

Catie.Hiltz

Mouseketeer
Headed to.disney this december (have only ever been in spring/summer before)

What can I expect in terms of weather-temperature? Is there a lot of rain usually?

I feel like I should bring shorts and pants and a jacket and a bathing suit just to be prepared for all possibilities!!!

Any suggestions appreciated :-)

December weather down here is pretty broad. Some days it could be as high as the upper 70's, some days it may get down to the 40's. What I would suggest is pack a few light sweatshirts or jackets adn you should be fine:thumbsup2 And it doesnt rain much.. The rain season is from July-Sepetember.

We have done December several times. Usually we layer up, and that has always worked fine. This last year we had 3 days of 24 degrees. We had heavy hoodys, long shirts, t's, and at the last moment, I had bought us all the little stretch gloves which saved us. I'm not gonna lie, I have decided I prefer WDW at 90+ than 30-. :santa:

December weather runs ALL OVER the place...We have had days in the 80's and we were swimming,only to find that the next day it was in the 30's and we were in winter gear.Waiting to pack till the 7 day forecast, and packing LAYERS is key in December

We just went the 1st week of this past Dec and it was cold in the mornings and evenings but the afternoons were perfect.

I've been in early Dec for the past 7 years, and going again next year. The weather is varied. It can be very nice...in the 70's, with no rain, during the day, going down to the high 50's at night. Or, it can be like last Dec....the high was the low 50's!! There was one day that I was able to wear just a tee shirt (with jeans) for a few hours. Other than that one afternoon, I had to wear a turtleneck, sweatshirt and a lined windbreaker, with jeans, socks and sneakers every day. It was not warm at all.
In fact, one morning, at US/IoA, we had early entry, and were riding the Hippogriff and I thought my face was going to freeze off...it was brutal. I wanted to do Dragon Challenge again, but it was just too darn cold.

In fact, one morning, at US/IoA, we had early entry, and were riding the Hippogriff and I thought my face was going to freeze off...it was brutal. I wanted to do Dragon Challenge again, but it was just too darn cold.

That's the way we were riding Everest! 24 degrees, Vapor stinging our face, felt like we were on the real deal!!!

I went this past December and it was cold for the most part. What I would do, is keep a watch on the weather forcast, and prepare for any type....The day that I left, I looked at the temps for Orlando...opened up my suitcase and removed a lot of things and repacked....

Growing up we always went the first week of December. I remember the weather varying a lot and usually being warm enough for short sleeves in the afternoon. There were only a few times we ever went swimming. This past December the weather was absolutely freezing! My best suggestion is to check the weather and pack layers. The positive is that it does not often rain in December. Out of 10+ December trips prior to this winter, I only remember 1 day of rain. This past trip we had 1 afternoon of rain but it had cleared out by about 4.

WE go camping at Ft Wilderness in December. I wouldn't dare go camping in Florida any other time than Winter.

December 2009 we went over to the pool every night after visiting the parks. It was quite refreshing.

We didnt' get to go December 2010. I hear it snowed in Orlando.

We were there for 15 days in December, and the weather was all over the place. We swam a few times...and we bundled up in coats, scarves, and gloves a few times. On the warmer days, we did see a few people in shorts, but most people stuck with jeans. The only rain we saw was brief and light.

We went Dec 10-17th of 2010 and it was FREEZING and I am from Minnesota so I know how to handle cold. We never once put on short sleeves or shorts and most in my party bought mittens, hats and blankets to keep them warm. It was crazy!

We were down in WDW in Dec 10' and it was cold. Temps were aprox 50-60 during the day which was ok but at night was like 30. We brought hats gloves scarves and winter jackets and we used them almost every day. My advice pack wisely cause all winter items in WDW can be pricey.

I LOVE the december weather in Florida. Bring a few sweaters or a jacket and some pants but other than that you should be fine. Especially if you are used to cold weather being from NY. Even if it's cold in Florida it's generally a pretty mild cold... no blistering winds or anything lol

We went Dec 2010 and it was cool at night... I walked around in a t shirt because it's just not cold to me unless it's in the negatives lol but I did have my daughter in warm clothes like a sweater or coat and we brought a blanket for some outfoor night time things but didn't really need it.

the best part is during the day it's not too hot and humid. makes it really nice for walking around the parks.

My inlaws who live in florida found it a bit too cold but I really didn't find it that bad. it was perfect for me. shorts and tank tops during the day... one day it was in the 80's and then I bring a sweater if I need it for the evening but really didn't find I needed anything more than that

December weather runs ALL OVER the place...We have had days in the 80's and we were swimming,only to find that the next day it was in the 30's and we were in winter gear.Waiting to pack till the 7 day forecast, and packing LAYERS is key in December

What they said. This past year the week after Thanksgiving started fairly warm and comfortable and then turned quite cold and then warmed up just a little by the end of the week.

We have traveled many times to Florida...the times we went in winter are unfortunately memorable for the wrong reasons. The first down coat I ever bought was in Florida mid-December at WDW. Good thing for the outlets. Mickey's Merry Christmas Party was authentically cold. That year the low's in the evening dropped into the high 20's / 30's, but we still managed to have a good time. It also rained during this trip and we saw the lights through a rain shower with ponchos and umbrellas (The trip was difficult for my 70 year old uncle, however, and my cousin and I spent a lot of time with him hanging out in the pkg lot/heater running as we waited for the kids to go on their late night space mountain rides. They set a record that year - 16 times, 9 times consecutively. So, bad weather does have its upsides.)
Another year, New Years, it was balmy and nice. We went to the water parks and walked around in shirt sleeves for half the stay and light fleece raincoats the next. Other years early January, cold, cold. Now, for Californians 40 is cold, but I now know that Florida is a mixed bag.

Now, when we travel anytime between Dec. through early Feb. we always take a light fleece lined raincoat, a poncho, sweatshirts and long sleeves just in case. The trick is to bring layers so that you can layer up or layer down.
Have fun! No Matter the weather there is always something wonderful to do at WDW

We were at Disney December 12th-19th and we had to wear our winter coats,scarves,gloves,hats and layers for the first 4 days and that was during the day time!!Towards the end of our vacation it did warm up to the 60's -70's though..

I feel like I should bring shorts and pants and a jacket and a bathing suit just to be prepared for all possibilities!!!

Any suggestions appreciated :-)

You have good instincts. The weather in December is completely unpredictable. We have been the last 3 Decembers. Do not trust the forecast even the day before your trip- we made that mistake the first year. Prediction of multiple weather sources (including the local FL) the night before we flew out was low 70s for highs all week. It was that way the 1st day, and then they had a heat wave and it was 80s all week. We should have been in T-shirts and shorts day and night all week. We had brought only jeans and we were sweltering. The last 2 years, we have started off the week in shorts day and night and ended the weeks in sweaters and coats day and night (although this year, we could take off the coats in the middle of the day- last year we couldn't even do that). Be prepared for anything and everything!

We just spent Dec. 14-26 there and glad I packed accordingly after checking the weather online. Although we left home in a blizzard, I still found it cold at WDW most of our trip. Glad I wore my winter coat on the plane and carried it with me - it was only 40 degrees when we landed. Some days it got up to mid-sixties, but the mornings and evenings usually required my stretchy mini gloves and a light scarf along with many layers. I was able to wear capris and sandals one day when it broke 70 later in the day, and we were all rebels on Christmas day when it was 72 and we hit the pool for the afternoon. I still enjoyed it without the possibility of snow keeping us in our villa, but it would have been nice to enjoy our deck at Old Key West more and the resort pool. DH was itching to go to a water park, but they were closed most days due to the low temps.
So as everyone has said - pack for all seasons!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter