Orlando Sentinel reporting Monorail up and running as of July 6th 10-11am

TinkerBelle_325

DIS Veteran
The Orlando Sentinel is reporting that the Occupational Safety and Health Administration have "released" the monorail system back to the resort.

They are also reporting that extra safety measures have been taken, "We've added additional verifications of these track switch positions, supplemented our safety procedures and protocols for these operations, and communicated these changes to our Transportation partners."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/orl-bk-disney-world-monorail-crash-070609,0,5007407.story

Wow. That seems fast.

I believe it was so fast because WDW is highly dependant on the monorail to transport thousands of guests daily. Just like the DC Metro or any other form of public transportation, it is vital and typically service resumes as soon as possible. I work at a law firm that has a OH&S specialty group and it is not uncommon for transportation to be reopened within 24-48 hours of a major accident.

Here right now and can verify the monorail is up and running on the magic kingdom line. But not yet for epcot line.

I just read on an online news source that OSHA is keeping the Epcot line shut down until it 'investigates' and the investigation could take 'up to 6 months'. I asked DH if he wants to try to switch our Sept trip from Poly to one of the Epcot resorts but it's a toss-up. We planned on going to Epcot 4 times but we also have 3 dinner ressies at Poly so I guess we'll keep the Poly and hope for the best.

On the way back from Hollywood studios we saw the epcot line running. This was about 5 pm. Not sure if it was just a test run with cast members or what. However I think months is just a big mistake

On the way back from Hollywood studios we saw the epcot line running. This was about 5 pm. Not sure if it was just a test run with cast members or what. However I think months is just a big mistake

Thanks for the info. Hopefully there will be people at the world who can keep us updated. I thought 6 months was long but I'm a retired Federal Govt employee so I know how painfully slow the Feds can move.

I am happy to report that the monorail is up and running on both magic kingdom and epcot lines. We just got back from chef mickeys and rode the monorail back to the Polynesian at the ttc we saw that the epcot line was fully functional

Everything appears to be back to normal

Good. I am glad there's going to be an NTSB investigation--as much as I love Disney we all know that they *occasionally* have a habit of making situations disappear...and I don't think they'll be able to hide anything now. The family of that pilot, and his friends and coworkers, deserve to know exactly what happened.

Good. I am glad there's going to be an NTSB investigation--as much as I love Disney we all know that they *occasionally* have a habit of making situations disappear...and I don't think they'll be able to hide anything now. The family of that pilot, and his friends and coworkers, deserve to know exactly what happened.

Please don't take this the wrong way. I too think the NTSB should investigate, but I too think Disney and the family need to know exactly what happened. I do not however think Disney is trying to hide anything. I do think they do not want this to forever be embedded in everyones mind as a part of Disney. It was a horrific, terrible accident. That will not leave any Disney goers mind, and I think that is what Disney is trying to avoid. They don't want you and I visualizing these horrific pictures everytime we ride the monorail, it is supposed to be a happy place. And god be with that young CM's family and also the other pilot through this time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter