Orlando Security

andrychowski

Mouseketeer
We arrived in Orlando today. The guy at the rental car desk mentioned something about new security procedures they put in place the beginning of December that make security take longer. Does anyone know anything about this? He seemed to suggest it had something to do with the flu.

Just went through orlando airport security about an hour ago. Nothing unusual. No new procedures. No delays.

Went through MCO security on Monday and it was by far the easiest fastest experience so far :) Pretty much a walk through!

Let me guess? TSA has developed a new method of testing for H1N1 by swabbing passenger's hands and getting instant results? :lmao: (Again, if anyone can show me any facts associated with this, I would be interested) Until then....

With the large number of readers here who do travel through MCO, I am quite certain that someone would have a factual account, and that the media would be all over this.

I flew in and out or Orlando twice in the last two weeks. The first time I noticed more TSA agents than at other airports, but nothing unusual.

The second time, which was yesterday, there were TSA agents everywhere. They kept talking into their radios and watching people closely. After getting ticketed, but before I went to security, a TSA agent, very nicely, asked me where I was headed, what airline, and when was my flight. He was very nice about it, but they are definitely adding another level of screening.

I flew in and out or Orlando twice in the last two weeks. The first time I noticed more TSA agents than at other airports, but nothing unusual.

The second time, which was yesterday, there were TSA agents everywhere. They kept talking into their radios and watching people closely. After getting ticketed, but before I went to security, a TSA agent, very nicely, asked me where I was headed, what airline, and when was my flight. He was very nice about it, but they are definitely adding another level of screening.

Off topic but sort of not...I travel on NYC public transportation daily and over the last couple of weeks there has most certainly been an increased police presence. This morning there were not just the beat cops but the hard hatted/automatic rifle toting SWAT team looking cops all over the place. I think there may be some intelligence that TPTB are concerned about but don't want to share with the general public. Or perhaps they're just concerned as we get closer to Christmas.

Last year the TSA, in its infinite non-wisdom, approved a ridiculous addition to its 'playbook' of procedures whereby passengers (or anyone in the terminal) would be subject to 'behavior assessment' even BEFORE going through security. This is being implemented on an airport-by-airport basis. Sounds like MCO is the latest victim.

Welcome to America... the home of the free, the brave and the unconstitutionally molested! ;)

We had no problems at all at MCO last week, other than they made a huge big deal about DD8's prescription med when it went through screening. It made DD really nervous that they weren't going to let her on the plane or something when they were quizzing her about it :)

We had a longer wait and more scrutiny at Indy getting through security than MCO

Greetings from MCO... just got through security. They were shockingly efficient. Got through in about 5 minutes, no swabbing, no swine flu nonsense.

I flew from MCO on December 4. It was the shortest security lines I've ever seen there. If there were changes I hope they keep them.

I left MCO last Friday afternoon. No new procedures. We used the expert traveler line (2 adults), it was quick.

Last week was the smoothest I've seen. Middle of the day too. I didn't see the expert traveler lane but wasn't really necessary.

I left MCO last Friday afternoon. No new procedures. We used the expert traveler line (2 adults), it was quick.

We went through that afternoon, too. It seemed the fastest in years.

However, we did experience two instances of increased security. They swabbed my son's medical supply bag and opened his Medicool pack containing insulin. Surprisingly, they didn't bother opening his small cooler which I always declare and is normally checked.:confused3

Just before boarding, two TSA agents set up outside the jetway. We were standing quite close waiting to preboard and heard them tell an agent they would be checking everyone's ids. Ours were not checked as we preboarded though.

Boarding began late as we waited for a FA. The agent told me he was supposedly being detained at the security point. She told me to just follow him down the jetway once he arrived. He was as surly a FA as I've ever seen. Not sure if that was a cause or a result of the extra screening.:rotfl:

I didn't notice anyone at the gate. I did notice one thing though - when we went to board the train, there was a TSA agent standing there. He made sure that the train was clear before turning the key to open the door on the outgoing side.

I had forgotten since it all went smoothly for me. I did see something I hadn't seen for years - a secondary screening set up at the gate area.

Here I am having packed us with carryons only and carefully selected seats in the back of the plane so despite elite status I can get on and be assured I'll have a place to put the luggage. I see this and just know I'm going to get pulled out for a screening. They got a guy in first who wasn't real happy then I don't know how many others got pulled since we got on without having to unpack and repack.

Back in November I flew from DCA to ORD/Chicago and that was the first time I saw secondary screening at the DCA gate. Maybe it's necessary but it seemed kind of creepy to me.

agnes!

We flew home from MCO on Saturday. Got through security around 6:00 pm in about 5 minutes! This is stunningly effeceint for MCO. I think it is to make up for possibly the most inefficeint US customs and immigration I have ever dealt with (upon arrival two weeks earlier).

We flew out of MCO on Dec.5. We went through security about 11 am and it was a mess. It took us about 35 minutes to get through. Long lines which moved slowly. This was the side for the higher gate numbers, I believe it was B.

In August they were doing the secondary screening at the gates at RDU, also did it just a couple of weeks ago at CMH. They will just randomly pull people and check their bags, I was like A 30 something and they were right next to me, I was just going to hand my bag to him lol, but they let us go by, they did pull a business select person lol... Bet they were happy as all get out :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter