• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Orlando "pizza" scam on the Today show this morning

nkereina

Last chance to lose your keys.
Anyone catch the Today show this morning? They did a segment on scams while traveling and they mentioned the "pizza" scam in Orlando. While they didn't mention Disney, I know it has happened to some people there and with the other thread about fraudulent charges to a credit card while at Disney, I thought this was pertinent info! If you receive a flyer for a pizza place under your door and you call to order and they tell you they only accept credit card payments, ABORT! They are identity thieves and you will never get your pizza. They said best practice is to get a recommendation from the front desk for a reputable pizza place. Beware of this at Disney!

Thanks for the heads-up. We are going in a few weeks. We are on the dining plan. We don't usually order pizza from outside the resort but it's good info to know. If I see any lying around, I will be sure to notify the front desk.

:thumbsup2

Make sure before you order pizza that the restaurant actually exists. If they say they will only take credit cards that's a good way to weed them out. Some of the writeups on these scams featured guests who actually got a pizza - but it was apparently a reheated frozen pizza from the grocery store for which they paid a pizzeria price.

Most offsite hotels have a flyer in the rooms warning guests of this scam.

Interesting.

We received the flyers a couple of days when we were there at WL Aug 1-7

Did not pay much attention to them, and they were not a Disney place anyway. I wish I had known this ahead of time. Would be fun to catch them.

Why is the world full of jerks?

If there is a flyer at your room (I had one every night last year), then it is most likely part of the scam. They are not supposed to be posting items at your door or soliciting.

When I was at CBR 3 weeks ago there was a pizza place ad in our room for a non Disney pizza place (cant remember the name I didnt give it much thought). We were on the DP anyhow and wouldnt order a pizza from off Disney but I did think it was wierd that Disney allows non-Disney owned places to advertise to their guests? Wouldnt you think they wouldnt allow flyers to be handed out at all on their property because they want people to order the pizza from them?

When I was at CBR 3 weeks ago there was a pizza place ad in our room for a non Disney pizza place (cant remember the name I didnt give it much thought). We were on the DP anyhow and wouldnt order a pizza from off Disney but I did think it was wierd that Disney allows non-Disney owned places to advertise to their guests? Wouldnt you think they wouldnt allow flyers to be handed out at all on their property because they want people to order the pizza from them?

That's the point, Disney doesn't allow it. But anyone can get onto the resort grounds by saying they want to visit. And some of them are apparently just coming in to distribute flyers.

And have four of those menus in front of me. one is from a place called Roma's, the other is from Antonio's. I would never order from them, but my question is, how did they get into BLT. I thought it was supposed to have such tight security. What a joke. They were put under the door almost every day.

We kept getting those under our during our last trip. I believe it was a cast member who told us that it was a scam. They said if we wanted pizza to ask the front desk for a recommendation as well. I'm glad they let us know! :thumbsup2

The last time we were at Pop, we were scared half to death when the flyer can flying through the crack in the door at 10:30 pm....I called the front desk and they immediately connected me to security. The asked what building we were in and what room number we were in. They then placed me on hold, I'm guessing to contact security at the entrance to resort. She came back on the phone and requested that I deliver the flyer to the front desk manager in the morning (because it was almost 10:30 pm when the flyer was delivered) and she gave me a security number to put on the flyer. We delivered the flyer in the morning and the front desk manager had already been made aware of the situation and apologized for the inconvenience. Disney does take this seriously because these people are not supposed to be on property.

I've been ripped off 3 times in my life, and all 3 times it was either while I was in Florida or by a company based in Florida. I read that due to the lax consumers' rights laws, Florida has by far the largest percentage of consumer fraud.

And have four of those menus in front of me. one is from a place called Roma's, the other is from Antonio's. I would never order from them, but my question is, how did they get into BLT. I thought it was supposed to have such tight security. What a joke. They were put under the door almost every day.

I remember getting the Roma's one...
I just googled them and they are pretty awful
http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/26/303172/restaurant/Millenia/Roma-Pizza-Orlando

We've always had them under our door when we've stayed offsite at DTD Hilton. But the last time we were there (May) we had NINE under our door in one day! :eek:

I read that due to the lax consumers' rights laws, Florida has by far the largest percentage of consumer fraud.

I'm not sure that's the whole story. I talked to a cop last time we were there because I'd chased a thief out of our offsite unit, and according to the cop, the real problem is getting people back to testify or even prosecute. People are on vacation, have traveled a long way, and would rather eat the loss than come back for the trial. I'm guessing the same would be true of consumer fraud trials.

We were at WL as well (Aug 7-12) and got a Roma's slip under our door on two different evenings. We put them right in the recycle bin. It's upsetting that these bad guys are coming onto Disney property with malicious intentions. :mad:

WE had them unser our door at CSR. I remember being annoyed that they had come in but in vacation mode I never thought to report it. I will make sure to next time. It is a huge turn off to me to have flyers slid under my door at at hotel or on my windshield. I won't ever use a business that does that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter