Orlando Neighborhoods.

Thank you all for thinking about me. I have not been checking e-mail because we gave away our desk top, which was not cost effective to ship since it was old anyway by computer standards. I need to shop for a new computer but have been doing six-day work weeks and ten-hour days. I have a job that not many people want to take and many quit quickly (six people in the last couple of weeks) because it is hot, we stand all day, rude customers are taken personally by some people etc.

I did get to get in "free" to see Isles of Adventure though and was very impressed by the Forbidden Journey in Harry Potter's section.

I grew up in Florida and lived in Orlando for several years. Certain areas (especially around Florida Mall) are kind of sketchy. We last lived in the Hunters Creek area and it was pretty nice.

We eventually left just because we hated the whole Orlando area (except for Disney). We found the only time we had any fun was at the parks.

I hope you have a better experience than we did! Congrats on the move etc. It does take some time to get adjusted to a new place, job etc. Im sure you'll find your way.

I would say Thorton Park area in DownTown Orlando. It's the area on the East side of Lake Eola. The next place I would say is College Park which is a few miles North of there.

Thorton Park Info

College Park Info (you might want to mute the talking people who appear on each page of this site)

I would say Thorton Park area in DownTown Orlando. It's the area on the East side of Lake Eola. The next place I would say is College Park which is a few miles North of there.

Thorton Park Info

College Park Info (you might want to mute the talking people who appear on each page of this site)

Thank you Colaboy. I am heading over to the Thorton Park area today because I have heard that there are some lovely old houses to see, although I also heard that many of them are being used as lawyers' offices.

I have not seen much of Orlando yet. I have been working too much. We have had mandatory overtime due to the high turnover rate at work. Plus we have a lot of people calling in sick or just not coming in or calling in either so I have been working and sleeping and not much else, including looking for another job like I should be doing.

You are most welcome! Feel free to ask anything you have questions about.

And at least you are making some OT at your job. Did you and your partner make it to GayDays last weekend?

DP went to the Gay Days activities at the Double Tree after I saw an advertisement for them in the Orlando Sentinel; but I was working at Universal Studios, where I had hoped to see more Gay Days attendance. I understand that it is not the tradition though.

I am still getting full-time hours at work at Universal Studios but am now looking for another job. The turnover rate is so high where I am that I already have significant senority after only a couple of months on the job. It is the kind of place where people who were forced into retirement or something come to work while looking for something else. That is just the way that it is.

Good luck on the job (and apartment) hunt. Let us know if you have any other questions about the Orlando area.

I frequent this part of the Dis just to check up on things and see if anything new is going on. I have read this whole thread and just want to comment how amazing it is for complete strangers to give so much help to someone! Just another reason to love the Dis! :)

I frequent this part of the Dis just to check up on things and see if anything new is going on. I have read this whole thread and just want to comment how amazing it is for complete strangers to give so much help to someone! Just another reason to love the Dis! :)

Oh, yeah. It is a friendly bunch here.

I frequent this section because I am a special case. I am a woman married to a man, but it is not a heterosexual relationship. Some would call it a marriage of convenience, but it is not really a closet to hide in. We married in 1985 because I have no living immediate family, and my husband is estranged from his family. We have each gained a next of kin, and the only steady thing in each of our lives through job changes, moves, etc. has been each other so the partnership is very real.

Oh, yeah. It is a friendly bunch here.

I frequent this section because I am a special case. I am a woman married to a man, but it is not a heterosexual relationship. Some would call it a marriage of convenience, but it is not really a closet to hide in. We married in 1985 because I have no living immediate family, and my husband is estranged from his family. We have each gained a next of kin, and the only steady thing in each of our lives through job changes, moves, etc. has been each other so the partnership is very real.

if your relationship works for you that is wonderful, nobody should be without family and those who care for them unconditionally :)

You know, this is a very interesting subject. As a gay man who has still not found the right one, I often think about settling down with a woman some time down the road. I get along with them better, we bond and do things better together, and (dare I say) I tend to be happier around them. Sex won't ever enter the picture, but if someday a lady happens to want that arrangement, I can see myself going for it. The "next of kin" argument really is a good one.

You know, this is a very interesting subject. As a gay man who has still not found the right one, I often think about settling down with a woman some time down the road. I get along with them better, we bond and do things better together, and (dare I say) I tend to be happier around them. Sex won't ever enter the picture, but if someday a lady happens to want that arrangement, I can see myself going for it. The "next of kin" argument really is a good one.

Spectroman, it could work just fine for you. I knew a gay man who wanted children and assumed that he would never have any because he was gay. I told him that there are lesbians who want children so that maybe it would be good to work out something like that. I told him that no one would think that it was odd that he went out with men if he was married to a woman. They could live in the middle of the Bible Belt with their children, and nobody would think anything of it in all probability. He would just appear to be a dedicated family man who had a male best friend that he had a "boys' night out with" because he seemed fearful of gay bashers if he were too open.

Spectroman, it could work just fine for you. I knew a gay man who wanted children and assumed that he would never have any because he was gay. I told him that there are lesbians who want children so that maybe it would be good to work out something like that. I told him that no one would think that it was odd that he went out with men if he was married to a woman. They could live in the middle of the Bible Belt with their children, and nobody would think anything of it in all probability. He would just appear to be a dedicated family man who had a male best friend that he had a "boys' night out with" because he seemed fearful of gay bashers if he were too open.

The only thing I could see as a problem is finding a woman who wants the exact same thing as you. A good friend of mine married a female friend he knew. Everyone knew he was gay including his bride. They lived together for a number of years (no kids), but eventually divorced when she met a hetero man she fell in love with.

My supervisor has said that he would like for me to work Halloween Horror Nights and Grinchmas at Universal Studios. I would be willing to do this for him if I am still photographing the fans over the winter holidays, but this got me to thinking and so I now have a question in case that I am home on Halloween.

Does anyone here know how common trick-or-treating is in Orlando? I lived at the same address for 23 years while in San Francisco, and not one child ever came to my door on Halloween. I was a little disappointed the first year because I was hoping to see the little ones who can be so cute on Halloween. Should I stock up on sweets that I sure don't want to be stuck with if the children don't come here in Orlando, especially since I am a diabetic.

I remember reading an article last year, in I think that it was the USA Today, about certain neighborhoods around the nation being really big for decorating and stuff on Halloween. I don't remember whether any of them were around here, but that would sure bring out the kiddos.

My supervisor has said that he would like for me to work Halloween Horror Nights and Grinchmas at Universal Studios. I would be willing to do this for him if I am still photographing the fans over the winter holidays, but this got me to thinking and so I now have a question in case that I am home on Halloween.

Does anyone here know how common trick-or-treating is in Orlando? I lived at the same address for 23 years while in San Francisco, and not one child ever came to my door on Halloween. I was a little disappointed the first year because I was hoping to see the little ones who can be so cute on Halloween. Should I stock up on sweets that I sure don't want to be stuck with if the children don't come here in Orlando, especially since I am a diabetic.

I remember reading an article last year, in I think that it was the USA Today, about certain neighborhoods around the nation being really big for decorating and stuff on Halloween. I don't remember whether any of them were around here, but that would sure bring out the kiddos.

You will need to talk to your neighbors. I think you said you live in an apartment complex so just ask at the rental office if kids do Halloween in your place. You really find the ToT'ers in the suburban areas, not really in town.

I agree with every word! I particularly enjoyed this thread because I am also planning on moving to Orlando and want to find as much relevant info as I can, and it was interesting to see someone else's story in a similar situation and see how things work out for them, so I can get ideas of what to look for.

SanFran, how are your new apartment and job hunts going? Found any neighborhoods more to your liking?

I agree with every word! I particularly enjoyed this thread because I am also planning on moving to Orlando and want to find as much relevant info as I can, and it was interesting to see someone else's story in a similar situation and see how things work out for them, so I can get ideas of what to look for.

SanFran, how are your new apartment and job hunts going? Found any neighborhoods more to your liking?

I am still working as a photographer at Universal Studios because summer is not the time to be looking for work. In addition to the traditional summer jobs held by students, the college interns are out in full force. With school starting back, things are looking up. I interviewed last week and have another one scheduled for next week. It sounds really terrible, but I do believe that the main reason for encouraging everyone to go to college is to keep down on unemployment since full-time students generally aren't seeking full-time jobs. Thus time is bought, or at least borrowed, for four years in a strapped economy.

The jobs here in Orlando are generally tourism jobs, of course; but I came here after 24 years in San Francisco so I am used to living in a tourist town. I understand my supervisor's dissatisfaction since he came from an executive position in manufacturing and is thus used to making much, much more money. However, living in a tourist town means not living next door to a big stinky factory.

The apartments are often in better condition than the houses in my neighborhood. The houses often look like they are falling down, but that could be because so many of them are allegedly unoccupied.

If you want a really nice neighborhood with a convenient address, I think that Thorton Park is lovely with older but well-kept houses, some with charming porches. It is also close to downtown, which is served by the "Lymmo" bus service, which is free and more reliable than the Lynx system which charges a fare. This is a nice perk when fuel prices are rising, especially since it is supposed to be extended into Thorton Park next year.

The apartments that I live in have some strange thefts. Yesterday we noticed that someone had taken about ten bottles of emergency water that we had put in the storage closet on our second-floor balconey. This means that the person who took it had a key to the apartment, and we had a repair to a leak in the bathroom last week. I think that the guy is nuts and likes to steal things just to bother people. That water was saved for hurricanes or whatever because we learned our lesson after the 1989 earthquake in San Francisco. Yet it was just tap water for crying out loud, tap water in old soda and Gatorade bottles, so it was an incredibly stupid thing to steal while this city is not in a state of emergency. It reminds me of those people who looted electronics equipment in a city without electricity after Hurricane Katrina.

It is weird, but so far the most disturbing thing to happen here was the night that I found three little tiny kittens, less than a month old, that someone had thrown in the trash. They went to a shelter to be adopted. That bothered me more than the petty theft that goes on around here, but I sure don't like knowing that building management are the thieves.

Same here...Ive been wanting to take the plunge and move where its warm for many years. This year I am getting laid off in October so now Im thinking of doing it more and more. So Im always trying to find info. Its a hard thing to do on your own. You really have to let go of a lot of things. I had a friend move down years ago and I missed that chance because she moved on but I remember she was in Winter park which I thought was a nice area and didnt seem like it wuold be very crime ridden...of course i live in Salem,MA so im used to crime lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter