Orlando Muddy Buddy... Searching for a willing participant...

timmac

DIS Veteran
I'll keep this short for now, but some of us who frequent the DisUnplugged board are participating in the Orlando Muddy Buddy (at WDW of course) on May 8th. It's an event that features both biking and running, in teams of two, culminating in a crawl through a mud pit before crossing the finish line. The event is becoming something of an annual tradition for the group as a fundraiser for Give Kids the World.

Only problem we're having, at the moment, is that we have an odd number of participants, and need one more (or three more, if others are interested!)

Anyone that I can talk into doing this?

Ummmmif you can get more info to me on it I'd consider it... I saw it last year and thought about it,but none of my friends were brave enough... I tried looking it up on disney's site and theres not much info on it.... Also if you can partner me with someone whose not out to get a record finishing time, but more just to do it I should be fine.... Would I just have to run? Or run and bike? Cause I haven't rode a REAL bike in prob 3 years atleast, lol! And I don't think a stationary would do much good....

Disney's site is woefully inadequate. Here's a better link:
http://muddy-buddy.competitor.com/event-info/orlando/

Here's the basics though:
The race is in five segments. Total distance is something like 7 miles.
At the start, one teammate runs, the other is on the bike.
At each transition, you stop, perform some kind of obstacle, then swap who is biking/running. (Realistically, whomever is on the bike will have left the bike for you) So, the two team-mates leap-frog each other.
Once both teammates have completed the course, they (together) crawl through the mud pit, and cross the finish line.

We haven't determined exactly our team pairings yet, but if we end up with four total people, it would most likely be the faster two on a team, and the slower two on a team. (To minimize one teammate waiting for the other) I don't think anyone is out to win this or anything like that, definitely more for fun and the experience.

so I would only have to peddle the bike a total of 3 miles? That's easy enough for me, you can count me in. I don't have concerns with doing 5k, it was more the bike.... And we'd only have to share 1 bike? Cause to be honest my bike is somewhere and storage and I've prob outgrown it.... Are you local here in Florida? I'm in Tampa. But I'll deff do it if someone needs a partner. Let me know how we'd register since it is done by team fees.

Correct, it would only be about 3 miles of biking. I wasn't part of the group last year, but I think they did a walmart run and purchased some cheap bikes which they later donated.

Are you on facebook, btw?

It's things like this that make me wish I was a lot closer to WDW. Sounds like a fun event.

Having done the Muddy Buddy last year (in Michigan), just remember that you need to find a bike that will work for both people. My buddy was within an inch or two in height, so we didn't need to mess with any seat adjustments or anything else. I will, of course, never be doing this race with my DH, since he is a foot taller than I am!

Anyway, the race was fun, the obstacles were straightforward, and given that we only signed up the day before (so no "training")--and I was 50 and my buddy 18--it turned out pretty well!

4422816045_d3009b8fdd_m.jpg
Sorta hard to see, but I'm the one on the left.

Maura

good thing Im about to get new running shoes and save my old ones, don't like the idea of mud all over my normal pair.... lol. Does Disney have a rinse off place offered for after the mud pit?

Having done the Muddy Buddy last year (in Michigan), just remember that you need to find a bike that will work for both people. My buddy was within an inch or two in height, so we didn't need to mess with any seat adjustments or anything else. I will, of course, never be doing this race with my DH, since he is a foot taller than I am!

Anyway, the race was fun, the obstacles were straightforward, and given that we only signed up the day before (so no "training")--and I was 50 and my buddy 18--it turned out pretty well!

4422816045_d3009b8fdd_m.jpg
Sorta hard to see, but I'm the one on the left.

Maura

You were within a mile or two of my house!!! My partner for the MB last year was noticeably taller than I, so we had to adjust the seat at each transition.

Speaking of biking, it isn't road riding. It is very much off road. Think biking in sand.

good thing Im about to get new running shoes and save my old ones, don't like the idea of mud all over my normal pair.... lol. Does Disney have a rinse off place offered for after the mud pit?

I ended up tossing the shoes I did it in. They were caked/coated/basted in mud and grime. There was a huge group rinse area, where the mud came mostly off my shirt and shorts. I did bring towels from the hotel to put on the seat for the return drive, where I took a nice long shower to finish removing the mud.

4290_109837415419_502005419_3181353_401010_n.jpg

I'm the one in the green helmet, third from the left. My partner is the one on the far right.

My son and I will be doing our 5th Orlando Muddy Buddy this year. We have always enjoyed it and look forward to it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter