Orlando in Oct??

Newfiescotian

Mouseketeer
Hi folks:
Just looking for some advice on travelling to Florida in October - is that a good time of year, weather and crowd wise, to go? I know it is still hurricane season but there's no sense postponing travels due to the chance of a storm.
Also, any advice on where to purchase insurance? I have 4 vibrant seniors travelling with me and we want to make sure we have all the insurance needed, in case bags get lost, someone can't make the flight or if anyone has to visit the hospital (please God,no).
Thanks!

We travel to Orlando a few times a year . . .always during the Flower & Garden Festival in the Spring and the Food & Wine Festival in the Fall. October weather is usually around the 80's, with some slight humidity (nothing like the Summer) and occasional showers. I love going down there in the Fall . . .

Great time of year to go! Temps were awesome - not too hot and not too cool. Pool water still warm enough to be immensely enjoyable.

Thinking about the great October weather has now gotten me depressed since we are not going. Damn you.

October is an awesome time to go. Of all the trips we've taken to WDW, the one we took in October had the lightest crowds, and the best weather.

The only drawback.... the dreaded lovebugs were in full force at that time. It just depends when in October you go. The lovebugs are usually around for about 2 weeks and then they die off.

I agree with everyone - the weather is beautiful in October. The daily afternoon downpours in September have diminished, and the temperatures are great for strolling the parks. As far as travel insurance is concerned, I have always used RBC Travel Insurance and have never had any issues when needing to access medical care in the U.S. You can get an online quote for the cost of your insurance if you're comparing costs. Enjoy your October vacation. I'm happy to say we'll be down there in October as well!:goodvibes

Just hope that there isn't a record heat wave this October like there was last year! We were counting on reasonable weather and instead we got temperatures in the high 30's for most of the week. :headache:

October is our fav time of the year in the world - great weather (usually) F&W festival, MNSSHP and this year we are going to WWOHP - can't wait..... 99 days to go!!

Thanks so much for the positive input and great tips everyone! Now, i'm even more excited.... bring on October!!!:yay:

That is a great time to go - we've been 2 of the last three Octobers (kids b-days are 13th & 16th) and plan on going back every year around then.

RBC travel insurance all the way....I know many people who have actually had to use it and one person who had to get the private plane home due to the severity of the illness and she said it was one phone call and they took care of everything. She sings their praises to anyone who will listen.

Have fun, you'll love Oct...one of my fav times of year to go!

Answering a bit late here ... we've traveled down to Florida every October since 2003 and have had wonderful weather each and every trip, although in 2005 we did just miss hurricane Wilma. October weather is great - high 80's/low 90's during the day and around 70 during the evenings. You will get the occasional late afternoon/early evening showers, but they only last about an hour, and if it's really hot, they cool things off nicely.

Just hope that there isn't a record heat wave this October like there was last year! We were counting on reasonable weather and instead we got temperatures in the high 30's for most of the week. :headache:

Same here, but it was one of our best trips ever... I would recommend October in a heartbeat :lovestruc

This is great to hear. We leave on October the 7th for a 9 day stay. We have never been at this time of year. Looking forward to it!!:thumbsup2

we went the first week last year and it was great! crowds were very low, as school is in so most kids that were around were preschoolers/toddlers/babies. so ride waits were quite minimal. we did have a huge heat wave the 7th when we were there. it hit 110 according to cm's that day. i remember pulling the kids off me literally.

as for insurance, i agree with pp - rbc. we book ours with our ta at sears and this is who they use. last week we booked it through them again and added on for another 10 bucks per person a new thing sears has that is a cancel for any reason.

Perfect in October!
We might be there this Oct...we just put in an offer on a house and all things being equal..might be there lots of times beyond! :cheer2:

:thumbsup2 We'll be there the same time - we arrive the 6th and fly home the 16th

Where will you be staying?
It will be our first stay at Wilderness Lodge Villas. We are looking forward to all the Hallowe'en and Food and Wine activities. We usually go in January because I take part in the Marathon Weekend. It will a nice change now that I am reading all these posts.

Woot Woot....We'll be there too, OCt 11-18th and hoping for great weather. DS and I are going to MNSSHP and F&W. It will be great to be there when it is a bit warmer - we usually go Jan/Feb and the last few times it has been beautiful, but only about 20 degrees max, so a little chilly for swimming (although we did manage it of course! :sick:).

:cool1::cool1::dance3::cool1::cool1:

One other option for Insurance, but I am not sure how it works for people outside your immediate family, is coverage through mastercard. I have a card where I pay a small amount annually and it covers trips up to a max # of days. Always enough for us, and I dont have to really think about it as it is part of the credit card.

Where will you be staying?
It will be our first stay at Wilderness Lodge Villas. We are looking forward to all the Hallowe'en and Food and Wine activities. We usually go in January because I take part in the Marathon Weekend. It will a nice change now that I am reading all these posts.
First part of our trip is a convention so staying off-site for that, then moving over to POP on the 11th :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter