• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Orlando for conference- universal worth it?

ckelly14

DIS Veteran
Heading to a conference in Orlando, considering "previewing" Universal for my family trip in Feb 2015. I have from arrival Friday (11 am) to 6 pm and Sat from 4 pm to close. I assume it will quite crowded and I won't have express pass. On the other hand, I will likely buy a AP since I will be going back in Feb so I don't think I will wasting money.
Is it worth it?
What park on which day?

Thanks

Heading to a conference in Orlando, considering "previewing" Universal for my family trip in Feb 2015. I have from arrival Friday (11 am) to 6 pm and Sat from 4 pm to close. I assume it will quite crowded and I won't have express pass. On the other hand, I will likely buy a AP since I will be going back in Feb so I don't think I will wasting money.
Is it worth it?
What park on which day?

Thanks

I would do it.
I joined my sister for a conference a bunch of years ago and spent my time at US/IOA. I determined that my kids were too young for it at that time and to wait to take them back. It also gave me a good feel for the place so that when we did go back a few years later, I felt more comfortable within the parks and more able to put a plan of attack together for our touring.

My wife and I did Universal IOA back in 2011 when I was at a convention in Orlando. We came in several days early to do 2 days at WDW and 1 day at Universal, primarily for Wizarding World of HP.

If you can change your plans to come in a day early and spend most of Friday there, you'll get the benefit of being there at opening, and if you stay that one night onsite, you'll pad it even more with an hour before opening in Wizarding World and, perhaps, a soft open over to Diagon Alley.

If you can't swing that and are definitely getting an AP, I would recommend the day you can stay till closing, as second to being there at opening would be being there before closing, imho. As for the park, an AP allows park-to-park, right? If not, then go with what your most looking forward to. Have you already seen Wizarding World? Then do Universal and hopefully get a soft open entry to Diagon Alley. Otherwise I would go with IOA.

Enjoy! :)

-Mark

Thanks to both of you.

I think I will go since I have never been to Universal so I may enjoy just walking around. I'll be by myself so I will be able to take advantage of single rider lines.

Unfortunately, no way to stay another night or onsite this time around.

I agree that hitting WWoHP right before close on Sat.

Crowds will be crazy but I'm a Disney vet so I should be able to handle it.

I've done almost exactly this, and would recommend it. You won't "do everything", but you'll do a lot, probably more than you expect.

I do a spreadsheet and usually the annual pass pays for itself in parking anyway, so I get a "preview trip" for free.

Getting to know your way around so you don't waste time getting lost, know the relative merits (what your family would prefer) or warnings (e.g. how much motion, dizziness, etc.) about various attractions first-hand is very valuable.

First day at USO was quite successful. Waited about 20 minutes for Rip Rocket, but other single rider lines were from 5-10 minutes. No need for Express Pass, that's for sure.

I heard that the CM's (or whatever they are called at Universal) were quite strict about the loose items in the pocket thing, but I never heard them saying anything to any of the guests. I also thought you had to pay for lockers, was this the case at one time?

Plan on hitting IOA around 5 tomorrow and staying until close, finishing with WWoHP.

Best place for dinner? Any place you can sit at a bar, since I am by myself?

I looked at the London facade today and I can't understand where you enter Diagon Alley...

I heard that the CM's (or whatever they are called at Universal) were quite strict about the loose items in the pocket thing, but I never heard them saying anything to any of the guests. I also thought you had to pay for lockers, was this the case at one time?

Team Members, or TMs. :)

Did you see people with loose items on the big rides like RRR?

The lockers at the rides where you have to use them are free for a certain period of time (based on how long the wait time is at that moment). Lockers for more general use, like at the front of parks, aren't.

Team Members, or TMs. :) Did you see people with loose items on the big rides like RRR? The lockers at the rides where you have to use them are free for a certain period of time (based on how long the wait time is at that moment). Lockers for more general use, like at the front of parks, aren't.

Yes, I saw hats, glasses, cell phones but no issues from the TM's. I had keys, cell phone, glasses but I did have a zippered pocket.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter