Orlando attractions other than Disney and Other Theme Parks

luvbingamom

Mother of two!
I will be traveling with a 7 month old and a 7 year old to Disney in July. We are planning at least 3 of our 7 days being at Disney Parks but we would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on things to do other than Theme Parks? I am up for any suggestions. Right now we are planning on Downtown Disney and maybe the Childrens Museum in Lakeland. Anything else I am missing?

Old Town on a Saturday night has a free cruise, with all cars older than I think 1970. It's quite a hopping place.

If you've got a car there is the Kennedy Space Center. Very cool. Takes about 1 1/2 to 2 hours to drive there but if you like that stuff at all it's worth the trip. I remember being awed by the size of the rockets.

We have enjoyed going to Mt Dora in the past. They have a train we took and then walked around the small town. It is not quite an hour from disney.

Putt putt golf is always fun.

Seaworld is great for younger children. We also did Ripley's Believe it or Not Museum and while it was interesting, I thought it was expensive.

Took my 8 mnth old to SeaWorld at Xmas. He LOVED SeaWorld. Watching the animals was a hit (pengiun encounter & sting rays really interested him, they had an Elmo show that he was very interested in (sit close to front to catch the infant's attention), he loved watching the bigger children play at Shamu Happy harbor, etc. Some shows at SeaWorld have an area where you can bring in and park your stoller if the baby is sleeping in it. Nothing is more frustrating than waking a napping baby to go into a show. They have a two nice baby care areas to breast feed, change the baby, etc. They have a promo where you can have your ticket validated for a free 2nd day at the CS booth.... must be used within 7 days. So, with the baby, we did two short days in the AM's and hit the pool with the baby in the afternoons back at the hotel. I highly suggest SeaWorld.

I miscalculated how old Naomi a be. She will be 8.5 months when we go. So please be informed of that!

I know there are the theme parks and we live by two of them already which are Bush Gardens Williamsburg and Kings Dominion. I am trying to save money and do things that does not cost a lot of is cost efficient sine we are also going on a cruise in November.

We took our 3 year old DD and 7 year old DS in 2007 and are going back in 2 weeks. My DD loved the Majic Kindom but DS, DH and I loved Universal Studio's and Universal's Island of Adventure. Love it! I would highly recommend it. And you can get a 7-day, 2-park ticket for cheaper than one day at a Disney park.

Are you aware that the difference between the cost of a 3 day WDW ticket and a 4 day one is only $8? To get a 5 day ticket is only $3 more than that. Since this is your 4th post, I am guessing you don't know. Go to mousesavers.com and you will see the prices listed there. 'Disney wants you to stay in their parks and eat and buy stuff so they make it very cheap to add on days. I hope this helps you.

I know there are the theme parks and we live by two of them already which are Bush Gardens Williamsburg and Kings Dominion. I am trying to save money and do things that does not cost a lot of is cost efficient sine we are also going on a cruise in November.

With a 7 year old, you might consider the Orlando Science Center in downtown Orlando. http://www.osc.org/

Have you considered purchasing a family membership at your local Science Museum? They usually cost around $60, and one of the best benefits is that you can go to hundreds of science museums around the US and Canada for FREE. We have a family membership at our local science museum, so we were able to go to the OSC for FREE.

When we visit Williamsburg in July, we will visit Nauticus, and the Virginia Living Museum for FREE. And if we have time, perhaps we may see the Virginia Air & Space Center and the Virginia Aviation Museum, all for FREE!

With a 7 year old, you might consider the Orlando Science Center in downtown Orlando. http://www.osc.org/
!

My family is also coming down to Orlando for 3 days prior to our Disney cruise in Sept. I just went and checked out the web site link..and it looks very cool..and the price is very nice....would you happen to have a few other recommendations? We are open to other theme park type of ideas, but just not DW..too much for our budget with the cruise. Thanks in advance. :flower3:

There is the Tampa Aquarium.....about an hour from Disney down I-4. It's on the small side as far as aquariums go, but lots to see and they have an outdoor water "spray" area that is fun for the kids. You can find a BOGO coupon at saversguide.com when searching attractions in Tampa.

Personally I do not think the drive to Lakeland for the Explorations Museum is worth it. I live in Lakeland and have been once with my kids. I find it dirty and overrun with unwatched kids.

Are you aware that the difference between the cost of a 3 day WDW ticket and a 4 day one is only $8? To get a 5 day ticket is only $3 more than that. Since this is your 4th post, I am guessing you don't know. Go to mousesavers.com and you will see the prices listed there. 'Disney wants you to stay in their parks and eat and buy stuff so they make it very cheap to add on days. I hope this helps you.

can you explain?

If you go to mousesavers.com under Walt Disney World and then tickets,you will see a list of prices.

go orange-picking. only in florida!

I just had to :lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl: I can only imagine my families face's if I say.."guess what?? We are going orange picking on our vacation" :scared1: :headache: :mad: :sad2: We live in Northern California, so fresh fruit is a staple in our area. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter