Orlando Airport

C

candyht

How easy is it getting around Orlando Airport? I plan on flying in using Southwest Airlines, then going to baggage claim and then Dollar to pick up my rental car. I will have DH and my 3 year old twins with me. I will also be lugging with me 2 car seats, 2 carry on bags, 2 umbrella strollers and probably 2 checked suitcases.

very easy to get around because its' overall size is not at all overwhelming compared to most 'international airports'. We found everything to be very convenient to get to because all of the restaurants, shops, and bathrooms are situated in fairly close proximity to eachother.

When you first get off your plane, you will ride a neat tram on over to an adjacent building (which is also part of the airport) where you will have the opportunity to claim your luggage, rent cars, access other ground transportation, and visit airline counters. The interminal car rental desks are located immediately downstairs which can be accessed either by elevator (which is great for those carrying heavy loads of stuff) or escalator.

So, you definitely don't have to worry about walking a 'major marathon' in making your way through there like in some airports (especially like the one we have here in ATL). Hope this helps.

Orlando airport also has the carts you can rent which makes it easier to load everything onto and just push the one cart. If you do not mind separating, we usually send one of us to get the car while the other waits with the kids to claim luggage. (We have EA with National, FastPass with Dollar.) By the time we have the luggage, my husband is waiting outside with the rental car. Since you have three year old twins, one of you could take one kiddo and the other take the second one. Should not be a hassle at all! ;)

The only thing I find confusing about MCO is the fact that they have two separate baggage claims, an A side and a B side... if you don't listen carefully before you get off the plane, you could go to the wrong side.. there's no way to get from one side to the other, other than going back up to the main concourse, walk all the way to the other side, and back down...by then your luggage may be in the Airline's baggage claim office.. (this happened to me once)

Dave

Just a suggestion-it might not be a good idea for you with three year old twins though. Sounds like you'll have alot of luggage, strollers, etc. to pick up. If DH can manage the twins without much trouble, it is much easier for you to leave them at baggage claim, go get the car, and meet them right outside at Southwest arrivals. Faster and easier than lugging all that stuff through the airport, since you do have to pick your car up on a different floor. To pick up your family, you do have to drive out the exit as if you were leaving the airport, just keep going around again and back to arrivals (very easy if you follow the signs). Takes only a few minutes after you exit the rental area with your car to get back to the arrival area. Then all you have to do is pull up, pop the trunk, load everything and everyone in right there and off you go! Have fun on your trip!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:I didn't realize this is similar to janiejo's reply-so it might really be worthwhile to you!

Originally posted by pdzabe
If DH can manage the twins without much trouble, it is much easier for you to leave them at baggage claim, go get the car, and meet them right outside at Southwest arrivals.

As a DH with twins, I disagree with the above...

The baggage claim area is nuts. All 150-200 people from the flight crowded around the belt. It's easy to lose track of the kids if your alone and trying to look around and over people for your luggage. Better idea is have one person take care of car rental details (w/kids.) and then wait for person getting luggage. It always takes forever for the luggage to come anyway.

I think I would:
#1 check everything you can as opposed to carrying a bunch of stuff on the plane. ( it sounds like you are already doing that. ) That way you will have a minimum to lug through the airport on your way to retrive your luggage. That is your longest walk.
#2 unless you fear someone stealing your luggage, or you are in a big hurry, take your time on that long walk. We did this once, really by accident, and our luggage was against the wall waiting for us when we arrived at baggage claim, and the crowds were gone. We picked up our luggage and went to rent our reserved car. No crowds or lines.
#3 If it were me, I would as a group retrive the luggage, use one of those carts that are right nearby if you have to, and then as a group go to the Dollar rental area. One adult go to the rental counter, the other sit in the waiting area (right near car rentals) with the twins and the luggage.
#4 after getting your rental set, as a group, go to get your car. It really isn't that bad. You will probably get an elevator to the Dollar parking level. There are signs everywhere. ( i would think that you could bring that cart with you while the other adult holds the twins hands)
I would just rather stay together because at least it is known where everyone is and there is no chance of getting confused and separated, then you may start off your vacation crabby and mad.
I find it helpful to look at the web site when using an unfamiliar airport. Here's MCO's
http://www.state.fl.us/goaa

Thanks so much for all your responses. We will be arriving into Orlando 10am on a Friday. We haven't scheduled anything to do for this day, except a few hours at Beltz Outlet. So, we can just take our time ... I've already tried to minimized our check in luggage. One bag will be 2 days worth of extra clothes for all of us and in another bag are my kids stuff. (Their favorite stuffed animals, blankets and pillows). There's no way that I can check this bag in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter