• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Orlando Airport Security Screening last weekend - getting worse not better

I know why they offered it for free. You had said this
It only shows up on your boarding pass once they have sent it to the TSA, and the TSA sends a response. So if you don't pay, the TSA rejects it and it doesn't show up.
But I don't think it's quite so black and white, is it?
They obviously don't reject all passengers that didn't pay for it. People are still getting it for free

You do not get it consistently for free. You get a random draw of a small percentage for free for a little bit while the project is still getting legs. That's quite different from what is supposed to be happening (getting it consistently) because you paid for it.

1. Delta is not in it's own "terminal" Access point is one giant spot of all airlines (that includes the South access where the new equipment is going in)
2. The Mayor has been threatening to fire the TSA long before the current construction. They have NOT been managing the line well for quite a while. We waited an hour weeks before the "improvements" started.

The only thing they do better here in Atlanta is that it's ONE huge line (aka out to baggage claim LOL!) But since the Thousands decided "everyone will pay for precheck" and then quit staffing even though they didn't have that many folks signed up for precheck the lines have been horrid here!

Do not assume Atlanta will be nice and easy. Plan on an hour!

Folks MCO has some unique problems but if you have to fly out of an airport staffed by the Thousands Standing Around just assume it's like MCO this summer. Understaffed and poorly managed LOL!

I never meant to say (pretty sure I never did say) Atlanta was perfect, only better. I know how long I've waited on every flight from Atlanta and how long I've waited on every flight from MCO. I wish MCO was an hour. That would be fast. We've flown quite a bit from Atlanta this past 2 years and never had the misfortune of waiting even close to an hour but we haven't flown out of there since they closed the check point. I know where I consistently wait the longest and where I consistently wait the shortest and where it's perceived the crowd is managed better.

As for long lines everywhere, well, we have no line whatsoever here in Chattanooga. Took all of 15 from parking, walking in, going through security, to sitting at our gate last month. But I also wouldn't dream to compare it to a large airport. Only saying that every airport isn't suffering from lines. We'll see what it's like next week but I expect the same. Heck, if you are on the first flight of the day you can't even get there an hour early. The airport doesn't open that early before the first flights

You do not get it consistently for free. You get a random draw of a small percentage for free for a little bit while the project is still getting legs. That's quite different from what is supposed to be happening (getting it consistently) because you paid for it.

Pretty sure I never said that anyone got it consistently for free. Only that it can't be automatically rejected when not paid for. That's all I said.
Which none of it means a hill of beans to me. We do pay for it and we do get it consistently (thus far)

Obviously I'm doing a sucky job of explaining what I mean to everyone. Nor does it matter one bit what my opinion is. I'm no expert, like others here, so clearly I'm incorrect in my perception they handle things smoother in all other airports we use. That we go through security faster elsewhere, on every flight, than we do in Orlando. Before we got PreCheck at least. Now, it's all pretty dang even (outside of our regional airport here which doesn't count anyway)

The longest time I ever spent in a security line....

Mobile, AL.

About 10 people in front of me and it took almost 2 hours.

They were DETERMINED to find something on EVERYONE! No one got through without every thing being searched. When they got to me we spent 15 minutes on my numeric 10 key that plugs into my laptop. They claimed to have never seen one and wanted me to make it "do something" Of course they refused to let me connect it to the laptop so it would not do ANYTHING LOL! I refused to surrender it. They finally gave it back. I walk into the gift shop to get a bottle of water and guess what's being sold there? Yep, those "numeric keypads" the TSA claimed never to have seen. I nearly went back and drug the jerks to the shop LOL!

So don't assume "small is easy" Some of them are on a real trip to prove their worth!

They'd better require our airport to open earlier. First flight out at our airport is 5:00, airport doesn't even open till 4:00. You'd be in big trouble to take 2 hours for security.

The longest time I ever spent in a security line....

Mobile, AL.

About 10 people in front of me and it took almost 2 hours.

They were DETERMINED to find something on EVERYONE! No one got through without every thing being searched. When they got to me we spent 15 minutes on my numeric 10 key that plugs into my laptop. They claimed to have never seen one and wanted me to make it "do something" Of course they refused to let me connect it to the laptop so it would not do ANYTHING LOL! I refused to surrender it. They finally gave it back. I walk into the gift shop to get a bottle of water and guess what's being sold there? Yep, those "numeric keypads" the TSA claimed never to have seen. I nearly went back and drug the jerks to the shop LOL!

So don't assume "small is easy" Some of them are on a real trip to prove their worth!

I ran into a similar situation in BTV. They were taking a solid five minutes with each person. Everyone got a pat down. Then when we got to the gate before boarding, everyone got wanded and all carry on luggage searched by hand again. They wouldn't let people on the plane until they went through a second screening which of course they began right before loading started. Once we hit 15 minutes past departure the captain ordered the cabin door closed and we left with over half the passengers still in the boarding area. It was ridiculous.

And here I was thinking BTV was the only airport I've regularly flown in and out of that had fast security. Betterbutter, sorry to hear about that experience.

BTV doesn't have pre-check, but if you have pre-check they give you a giant plastic card so you can pretend it's pre-check and leave your shoes on and liquids in your bag. Talk about confusing the non-pre-check passengers...

For the record... we flew out of ATL the week before the South terminal was reopened with the enhancements and we breezed through in about 20 minutes. They had sniffing dogs and we didn't have to remove shoes, take out liquids and went through metal detectors. We arrived 3 hours before our flight and had time to eat lunch at a sports bar before our flight. We prepared for the worst and it worked out great.
Also, I have been chosen for TSA precheck a few times and have never paid for it.
I think you just have to prepare for the worst... and hope for the best when it comes to catching a flight. Better to be early and not stressed especially on vacation.

I have to say it's been fun as the OP to watch this not knowing it was about to become a major national discussion just a few weeks later. It's quite clear to me that the TSA has major problems with consistency, and not handling their own rules appropriately, on top of the staffing trouble. I hate that one of the answers is "help fund the TSA and we give you expedited service" - that's what Pre-check is. Tough to justify over spending the cost of another ticket for a family of 3 (the first time) but if this keeps up I will definitely be doing it.

Here's an odd one. On that trip that prompted me to post this topic, I also had to wait at Rochester NY extra time for two flight crews to use my aisle. Why do flight crews not get submitted for Pre by their airlines? And of course that generated yet another negative experience with the TSA for me: We had to step back to make room for all those flight crew people. There was a TSA lady marshaling people from the identity check into the screening lines. Apparently that fact that we stepped back into the pathway ruined her week, because she went off on us like we were terrorists. My 16 year old started shaking. That's someone taking their job way over the top,just like that line questioning the add-on keypad. I expect them to identify and confiscate forbidden items and to know what those forbidden items are. YOur job is NOT to identify everything you've never seen before. There are all kinds of computer items and medical items they've never seen before. If the TSA ever takes something from you not on the forbidden list take the badge number and file a theft report.

Keep reporting your Orlando experiences - that's what most of us are concerned about here!

We had to step back to make room for all those flight crew people. There was a TSA lady marshaling people from the identity check into the screening lines. Apparently that fact that we stepped back into the pathway ruined her week, because she went off on us like we were terrorists. My 16 year old started shaking. That's someone taking their job way over the top

You were not singled out for bad attention. I have witnessed TSA personnel going off on the pilots as if they were terrorists. Pilots. You know, the people that are at the controls of the airplane.

I also had to wait at Rochester NY extra time for two flight crews to use my aisle. Why do flight crews not get submitted for Pre by their airlines?
Must be the setup in Rochester. In MCO and just about all the other airports I've been in there is a completely separate gate just for known flight crews.

Must be the setup in Rochester. In MCO and just about all the other airports I've been in there is a completely separate gate just for known flight crews.

Not in my local airport. They go thru with us commoners.

I will say I think MCO has some of the rudest TSA agents. That is the only place I have ever been screamed at for trying to wait for the rest of my family to get thru the checkpoint. That was in part because of the international flight that was landing--they wanted to clear the area. Thank goodness they are in the process of fixing that idiotic airport design.

Not in my local airport. They go thru with us commoners.

This was ten years ago when CVG was still a main Delta hub. Both of my daughters had jobs at the airport beyond security. I know they had their own security line.

My youngest daughter's first job was at the airport. Can you imagine waiting in a two-hour line to get to your job at McDonald's. That was my daughter's first job...a 15-year old cashier at the CVG McDonald's.

No, even at airports where the employees don't have a dedicated line they don't wait. They just get to break in front. After all, they should be able to delay their customers. And of course they don't have those silly rules about liquids and shoes. After all, an airline or airport employee would never be a terrorist. (Oh wait, one of the original liquid bomb plotters was an airport employee. Hmmm )

You were not singled out for bad attention. I have witnessed TSA personnel going off on the pilots as if they were terrorists. Pilots. You know, the people that are at the controls of the airplane.

The highly trained college grads, unlike the GED toting TSA. I put my life in the hands of a pilot. I mock the TSA. They have yet to prove their worth.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter