Oriole Nectar Bird Feeder

pk1959

Mouseketeer
Does anyone have one of these feeders that the birds actually drink out of? I purchased one last year along with a large bottle of the nectar concentrate, put up the feeder and noticed that the oriole's that went to the feeder were not figuring out how to use it. It had the little "bee guard" buttons that they have to push in to get to the nectar. This year I went and purchased another feeder again with the bee guards (which is the only way the feeders are sold in the store I bought at) and AGAIN the birds are going to it and not figuring out how to drink from it. The bee guards on the last one push in really easy, but the birds are on the perches and looking under the feeder even, and hopping from perch to perch without eating.

Do I just have extra dumb orioles or can I do something to help them figure it out? I do know that I am not spending any more money on more feeders!!!

Sorry I do not have a solution for your feeders but for our orioles we made a feeder out of a tin can (like a tuna can) and a pole. We put homemade grape preserves in it. They love the stuff, and we have more orioles around than we ever did with a store bought feeder. We occasionally see a bee by the feeder but it is not often.

We have dozens of hummingbirds and several orioles that all drink from the same feeders. As long as there is a perch for the oriole, they do not seem to be picky. We use filtered water from our fridge.... 1 Cup water to 1/4 Cup white sugar. No heating, no color and they love it. We use a whisk to make sure all of the sugar is dissolved and fill the feeders every couple days.

Perhaps if you smear some syrup on the push area they will figure it out?

Don't have one but want to put a feeder out.

Sorry I do not have a solution for your feeders but for our orioles we made a feeder out of a tin can (like a tuna can) and a pole. We put homemade grape preserves in it. They love the stuff, and we have more orioles around than we ever did with a store bought feeder. We occasionally see a bee by the feeder but it is not often.

Well that's interesting! I am going to have to try this. Thanks!!

We have dozens of hummingbirds and several orioles that all drink from the same feeders. As long as there is a perch for the oriole, they do not seem to be picky. We use filtered water from our fridge.... 1 Cup water to 1/4 Cup white sugar. No heating, no color and they love it. We use a whisk to make sure all of the sugar is dissolved and fill the feeders every couple days.

They do come to our hummingbird feeder also, but their beaks are too big to get inside!! They keep trying tho....

Perhaps if you smear some syrup on the push area they will figure it out?

Don't have one but want to put a feeder out.

I am thinking of taking it apart if possible and trying to remove the bee guards totally. I just know with the bigger holes that are on this feeder that the bees will be having a party in no time which is no good either. Thanks for the suggestions. It's just frustrating to have 2 special feeders specifically for a type of bird that they can't figure out. It's either not very bright birds or poor design feeders, don't know which!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter