Oregon's right to die law - how do I get MY state to change theirs?

teller80

DIS Veteran
If I wanted to change my state's law to be able to choose death, where would I start? Has anyone here ever waged a campaign to change a state law? I'm picturing getting signatures to get it on the ballot, then advertising it so people are educated about what it is they are voting on. And then my mind says, "Teller80, you can't do that! It's WAY too involved!" Thoughts?

If I wanted to change my state's law to be able to choose death, where would I start? Has anyone here ever waged a campaign to change a state law? I'm picturing getting signatures to get it on the ballot, then advertising it so people are educated about what it is they are voting on. And then my mind says, "Teller80, you can't do that! It's WAY too involved!" Thoughts?

So just to clarify - you are wanting suicide to be legal in your state? :coffee:

Don't agree with the law.

However, in my state--folks petition to get it on a ballot and vote. Not sure the ins and outs, but that is one way.

Another is to convince your state representatives to legislate it.

Try googling how it works in your state.

Don't agree with the law.

However, in my state--folks petition to get it on a ballot and vote. Not sure the ins and outs, but that is one way.

Another is to convince your state representatives to legislate it.

Try googling how it works in your state.

This is how it works in Ohio too

I would start with Google to gather info on how to discuss this with state representative.
Then I would contact my districts state representative for a sit down to discuss it.

I have never started or changed a law but have been in a brain storming sessions to add to bills for Mental health community. (thank god we had a lawyer in the group)

I know in MA that you have to get a certain number of signatures to let something be on the ballot to be voted. The signatures are generally organized by town so I'm not sure if you need a certain number in each location. I know this only because they tend to stand in front of the grocery store and ask for signatures. I almost always sign everything with those because I think that anyone should be able to get something on the ballot (well within reason so I do check what they are... but I have never seen an unreasonable issue come up)

So just to clarify - you are wanting suicide to be legal in your state? :coffee:

It's not suicide. It's physician-assisted death allowing the terminally ill to alleviate their suffering and pass peacefully surrounded by family and in their own home.

I have never understood why people are against this if the person has a terminal diagnosis :confused3 We treat our dogs and cats with more compassion and dignity in these situations than we do ourselves and it just doesn't make sense to me.

Now I do understand why people wouldn't want to do it themselves if they are in this type of situation but I don't understand wanting to keep others from doing it if they want.

It's not suicide. It's physician-assisted death allowing the terminally ill to alleviate their suffering and pass peacefully surrounded by family and in their own home.

The action of killing one's self intentionally is indeed suicide. That is the definition of the word regardless of the PC spin advocacy groups want to put on it. If someone terminally ill wants to off themselves, that is their business. But let's call it what it is. Suicide.

A good place to start is deathwithdignity.org.

That would be my suggestion too... Start with the established advocacy groups to see what you can do to help rather than reinventing the wheel by trying to get started on your own.

The action of killing one's self intentionally is indeed suicide. That is the definition of the word regardless of the PC spin advocacy groups want to put on it. If someone terminally ill wants to off themselves, that is their business. But let's call it what it is. Suicide.

And that's fine, but what is the point in it being illegal? Has that ever stopped anyone? That's a real question. If I commit suicide, will I go to jail?

Part of the issue is that it is also used as a legal term.

To show an example with another one.
The term robbery or being robbed.

Dictionary definitions allow this to be of a person or place (I even looked it up with google and got "the action of robbing a person or place.") but in legal terms (at least in NY where I took a criminology class) if someone steals the stuff out of your house without you there that is a burglary. To be a robbery you would have to be there to be an active victim. Thus Robbery is a violent crime and burglary is not.

So with Suicide and the fact that it is phrased "committing suicide" which is a phrasing generally only used for crimes or at least things with a connotation of being wrong (murder adultery etc) it goes to the legal definition and since attempting to commit suicide is a crime (and needs to be so that they can hold someone against there will for doing so to get them psychiatric help) some people feel there needs to be a separation from this illegal action and the action of legally ending ones own life as is the case in a death with dignity scenario.

And that's fine, but what is the point in it being illegal? Has that ever stopped anyone? That's a real question. If I commit suicide, will I go to jail?

The point of it being illegal is so that attempting to commit suicide is illegal.

The reason is that if you haven't committed a crime the government and other individuals cannot infringe on your rights. So if you attempt to commit suicide but don't want to be placed in a psychiatric facility to get help no one could force you to stay there unless attempting to commit suicide were illegal. Then you have committed a crime and the "punishment" for that crime is to be held against your will in a facility that will hopefully help you.

And, I do wish we would stop calling the ending of a pet's life "euthanasia" and call it what it is, murder. :confused3 I don't care how you try to pretty that one up either. It's murdering your pet pure and simple.

(Said ironically, in case anyone misses my point).

I bet that most states already have a group working on this issue. You can join them and help out. Good luck, I hope this becomes an option for everybody.

If I were terminally ill and wanted to end my life a little ahead of schedule, so as to avoid agony and also to allow my family to not have to see me in such a state, I'd like the option of doing so in an educated and legal fashion.

I'd prefer they not find my brains splattered all over the study. I'd prefer to not have to gas myself in the garage and maybe cause danger to others. I'd prefer to not swallow a bunch of random pills, hoping they will kill me, but not being sure...maybe they will actually make me worse. I'd prefer to not drive my car into a wall, because I might kill someone else.

If I am terminally ill, death has already been decided for me. I have no say in that. I might have a say in whether I go on the disease's terms or my terms. I'd prefer my terms. Screw the disease. I didn't ask for it. If we have laws in place like Oregon's, we could at least have some measure of control. I would like humans to have at least have as much in the way of options as I have for my PET.

That is the thing that has always stumped me regarding this. As a pet owner, I have always refused to let my pets suffer at the end of their lives. I don't just let them linger and suffer and say it's God's will. I say it's my duty to keep them from suffering and I have them euthanized. But when humans want them same thing, other humans get all twisted. Strange. I imagine they just haven't seen someone they love suffer quite enough.

Start with the death with dignity website. Also google Oregon's assisted suicide law to see what their process was.

It is an involved process and takes time and yes you are just one person BUT every law started with just one person who wanted to make a difference.

There will be times when you think "what did I get myself into" or "Man this is so not worth the hassle" or "what next".

But there will also be the times when you think "I am glad I got this started" or "this is so worth it" and "Man look what one person can really do".

Your advantage will be that others have already gone before you and plowed through some of the major roadblocks and court challenges so your process will be easier because of that one person who first said "How do I go about changing my state law?"

Also remember you will have people who support you and you will have people who try to fight you tooth and nail. This happens with any topic there will always be a PRO side and a CON side. Stick to your guns and remember that everyone deserves a CHOICE. That is how laws are made.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter