Oregon firefighters lose jobs for only speaking 1 language - English

Is there a reason why the hispanic firefighters are not required to be bilingual?

(like are they temporary or seasonal help, something like that)

If not, they should be held to the same standard.

That being said, I see nothing wrong with the department having Rosetta Stone at the firestation for the guys to go over in their down time (for both English and Spanish speakers)

It's interesting to note that America, as a nation, doesn't actually have an official language. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_the_United_States So on what grounds does it force people to learn English?)

Anyway, about 1/8 of Americans speak Spanish primarily. That a significant minority. In Canada, 1/5 of people speak French primarily. So, when you consider how quickly the Hispanic population is growing (and I don't just mean illegaly), it seems to me that the US isn't going to have a choice but to allow it to be used in place of English soon. Don't worry; having two languages hasn't "wrecked havoc" in Canada in 300 years.

And if you're trying to say that most Hispanic people who move to America don't try to learn some English, you are sadly mistaken.

The Incident Management System (ICS) and the National Incident Management System (NIMMS) require that all incidents use a common language to include not using local code words or the old 10 code system for EVERYONE'S safety. If these firefighters were going out of their way to learn some English then would we even be talking about this? The bigger issue I beleive is are these possible illegal immigrants even certified firefighters? Or should we drop that standard also for PC sake?

Ummmmm.....no. There are plenty of people in Canada who only speak French and there are border towns that contain many Francophones. I happen to live in a border town in an officially bilinigual province. That's why service people here and, in the grand majority of the country, must be bilingual.

I'm just curious. How many Spanish speakers have to move to America before they'll consider it an official language?

If your responders are required to be bilinigual then don't they speak English or does Canada speak Farsi also?

I don't understand why they don't have a requirement that the new hires speak English, since that would enable ALL the firefighters to be able to interact with the victims of the fires and each other.

But do we know that they won't be required to speak English? Have we read anything concrete about that?

If your responders are required to be bilinigual then don't they speak English or does Canada speak Farsi also?

Sure, the responders could speak English to you but don't you have to communicate with victims sometimes too?

And if you're trying to say that most Hispanic people who move to America don't try to learn some English, you are sadly mistaken.

Ummmmm.....no. There are plenty of people in Canada who only speak French and there are border towns that contain many Francophones. I happen to live in a border town in an officially bilinigual province. That's why service people here and, in the grand majority of the country, must be bilingual.

I'm just curious. How many Spanish speakers have to move to America before they'll consider it an official language?

Sure, the responders could speak English to you but don't you have to communicate with victims sometimes too?

Pain and bleeding is pretty much an international language. If a U.S. responder is assisting a cross border responder then the lead responder would be Canadian thus he would be in charge and directing the U.S. responders. BTW the last time I was in California our friends to the south had so much respect for our responders that they wouldn't allow us to cross the border even if the person in distress was in sight. If someone from Cali has updated info I would appreciate the education update.

I've actually met Hispanic people and I'm not willing to accept the villianized way that they are portrayed.

Just so you know, 96% of people in America can actually speak English (again Wikipedia). So I don't see where there's this huge rejection happening.

I really don't understand why assimilation is such a priority for some people? Can't we embrace the multi-culturalism of our countries and do all that we can to encourage each other's faiths, languages, and customs? What's with the "my way or the highway attitude"? Must we always be fighting a war of some kind?

Assimilation is part of America's immigrant heritage. No war. It's just how it's been for quite some time. Unlike some on this thread, I believe Hispanics will assimilate and that they will benefit therefrom.

Assimilation is part of America's immigrant heritage. No war. It's just how it's been for quite some time. Unlike some on this thread, I believe Hispanics will assimilate and that they will benefit therefrom.

Wowy.

"They will be like us and they will like it."

While I totally agree that immigrants here should learn English and that it is sad for people to lose thier jobs over not speaking Spanish, I think people are missing the crux of the problem.

Hispanic immigrants are apparently willing to take jobs that are not that appealing to many of us. Seasonal, dangerous, etc. This work force is considered necessary for our SAFETY and they can't just fire everyone who hasn't yet learned English. Long term employees in leadership positions that have had three years to start learning Spanish to communicate with their lower paid, higher turn over staff, are the scapegoat in this because of circumstances, not design. It's not about punishing the English speaker, it's about finding a way to have a safe, viable workforce in large enough numbers to fight the fires.

We are not talking about long term city employees that fight house fires. I understand it to be the temporary work crews that fight forrest fires. Some years it is very difficult to find enough people to fight fires if the wild fire season is bad. Heck, one year my high school aged brother's parks and rec work crew had to work toward the back of the fire line. They bring in every able body who will work. I can't imagine watching valuable forrest lands, people's homes, animals, etc. die needlessly because "they should learn english."

Should immigrants be learning English? YES! However, if, while they are doing that, they want to put their lives on the lines to fight fires for our safety I'm all for finding a way for them to do that.

If my house was on fire and the responding firefighter only spoke Spanish, I'd be up a creek. My spanish is limited to ordering food and counting to ten. ;)

I've actually met Hispanic people and I'm not willing to accept the villianized way that they are portrayed.

Some of the greatest Americans I have served with in peace and in combat in my last 15 years as a Marine and in the fire service have been Hispanic. The point is that I don't go to Italy and complain when I have to learn enough Italian to get by from day to day. If you move to an English speaking country then you might want to learn to speak English if you want to do something as important as being a firefighter.

Just so you know, 96% of people in America can actually speak English (again Wikipedia). So I don't see where there's this huge rejection happening.

I beleive everything I read on the internet also. BTW I am currently attending a "Fire Academy" in Texas and I can walk out in town and find plenty of people that can't or won't speak English. Thanks for the info on the country I have lived in for the last 35 years.

If my house was on fire and the responding firefighter only spoke Spanish, I'd be up a creek. My spanish is limited to ordering food and counting to ten. ;)

I don't think you have to say much. I think he or she will get it when they see the flames.

I beleive everything I read on the internet also. BTW I am currently attending a "Fire Academy" in Texas and I walk out in town a find plenty of people that can't or won't speak English. Thanks for the info on the country I have lived in for the last 35 years.

Do you have other data that conflicts mine? If not, what's your point?

I'm half-hispanic (I look like my mother) and my dd's father is hispanic. My nana's first language was Spanish. So no, I don't have a thing against hispanic people.

I do have a problem with hispanics (or anyone for that matter, however hispanics are who we are talking about here) coming into this country and not learning to speak English. If you live in a country where 96% of the people speak English, then you should learn to speak it also. I'm also curious why Oregon would hire firefighters that don't speak English. As the wife of a firefighter who also teaches new firefighter academies, I can assure you that there is NOT a shortage of firefighters!

BTW - I agree with everything Fire_Eater says.

HUH??? I thought this thread was about professional, career firefighters losing their jobs because they were not bilingual. The problems lies with the State of Oregon which contracts with the low bidder, who happens to supply a workforce that consists of individuals, some of whom do not speak English. Instead of the State creating a contract requirement that includes speaking English to protect both the public and the firefighters, they ignore that in order to go for the lowest bid. I was with the government for 31 years; I know how it works and it stinks!

I don't think you have to say much. I think he or she will get it when they see the flames.

No kidding. What about when I am trying to convey that there are two children in the back of the house ? Am I supposed to just HOPE that a non-English speaker is going to understand me??

I'm also curious why Oregon would hire firefighters that don't speak English. As the wife of a firefighter who also teaches new firefighter academies, I can assure you that there is NOT a shortage of firefighters!

Well, that's not what the fire departments in Oregon seem to think. The OP says that they were hired because their was a shortage of fire fighters.

Why do you include quotes? That's not even approaching what I said. You are an interesting poster.

You didn't say that the hispanic people will eventually assimilate and they will benefit from it. That sounds to me like you said, "They will be like us [assimilate] and they will like it [benefit]." Hence, the quotation marks.

No kidding. What about when I am trying to convey that there are two children in the back of the house ? Am I supposed to just HOPE that a non-English speaker is going to understand me??

I'm not exactly sure why you think that they won't speak English. I really don't see where it says that. Also, it's not like everyone who is sent to fight the fire is Hispanic. There are plenty of English speakers. Not only that, but they are trained to look for victims, whether prompted to or not. I think you and your children will be fine.

You didn't say that the hispanic people will eventually assimilate and they will benefit from it. That sounds to me like you said, "They will be like us [assimilate] and they will like it [benefit]." Hence, the quotation marks.

I am sorry. Sometimes I forget that many DIS posters are ESL posters like you. As you learn more English, you will begin to see that English words have meanings distinct from one another. Best wishes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter