Ordering off the Children's Menu-revisited

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by mericletwins, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Jenn

Jenn DIS Veteran

I have 2 girls, 15 and 11 We often order just a salad or appetizer and also share entrees. Occasionally they will order a kids meal. The only time we were refused was at Maya Grill at Coronado Springs. My daughter wanted one chicken taco, which was an option on the kids menu. They would not do it, nor could they do one taco a la carte. Her only option was a $25 steak taco entree (3 tacos, beans, rice) with the steak subbed out for chicken. Very frustrating.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. mericletwins

mericletwins DIS Veteran

That is fine. Sometimes that is all they want. I just want to know if they will have that option.

4. JimmyV

JimmyV Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Actually, the outside world does. I average about 120 or so restaurant meals a year and I can't tell you the last time I went to a place that considered a children's menu to be designed for 14 year olds. Or 12 year olds. That doesn't mean that older children can't order from them (although, sometimes that is the case assuming that the restaurant even has such a menu. Most "real world" restaurants that are at the level of WDW Signature restaurants don't have children's menus). Most children's menus say something like: "Four our guests X and younger" with X usually being well below the age of 12.

The OP states that the DDP is not bieng used, so credits are not an issue.
    The poster to whom you were responding was simply making the point that restaurants in the outside world never blink if all one orders is an appetizer. There may be some eye rolling away from the table as the server calculates his/her gratuity in their head. But nowhere is it disallowed to simply order apps unless one goes to a Prix Fixe establishment with a set menu of courses. And since the practice of only ordering apps is allowed everywhere esle, it would certainly be allowed at WDW.

If one is traveling with a children between the ages of 13-14 who are good eaters and who are not on the DDP, then I would submit that salads, appetizers, desserts and lighter fare entrees off the main menu is a far better strategy then toying with the children's menus, most of which are repetitive and not really of any interest to a 14 year old who has a broad palate.

5. erinclemmer

erinclemmer Earning My Ears

I think what the person meant was "oop" out of pocket, meaning they paid for the "adult" children to buy kids meals and saved the "adult" kids dining plan credits using them elsewhere so they did not "pay" for adult credits and use them on kids meals therefore sacrificing the value of the credit in Disney's favor. We've personally never done the dining plan, but I would say theirs was a smart move for the value of the $. And, if you are allotted a counter service and table service per day for your visit then at some point they were able to use those extra credits during there say whenever and where they wanted.

6. disnut8

disnut8 DIS Veteran

But the OP is NOT on the Dining Plan. One of the questions was if someone could just simply order an appetizer and not a full blown meal. I was pointing out anyone can do that at any establishment in any restaurant in the real world and Disney is no different.

Disney dining plan totally separate but that has nothing to do with this thread.