• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ordering from Children's Menu

Magalex

DIS Veteran
When visiting the Disney parks, is it OK for adults to order from the children's menu or is there a age limit for children's meals?

My mother and I ordered from the Childs menu quite a few times without any problems. Just be sure to specify cause I forgot once when ordering DS breakfast at counter-service and recieved an adults meal. Of course you can't pay Childs meal prices at buffet meals but you can eat from the child section.
Also consider splitting an adult portion with someone since the servings are usually large.

I've also ordered from the children's menu, and it was always perfectly fine with the server.

Is this okay at sit down restaurants as well as counter service? With the exception of Buffets, of course!

My 15 wanted the Children's menu item at Teppanyaki Dinning and the waitress only VERY GRUDGINGLY allowed her to do that so I'm thinking an adult would definitely not be able to do it here.

I've never had trouble at counter service though.

you are allowed to order from a childs menu any where down in wdw. Me and my mom do it alot. since thier adult meals are usually big.

got2lovedisney - your waitress shouldn't have done that.

I am wondering about the Fantasmic Dinner Package, at the Brown Derby. My DD is 14, and there is NO WAY that she can eat anymore than part of the main course, forget about the appetizer and dessert that are also included. The price is something like $37.00 versus $10.00 for the children's meal, and yes, I CAN pay it but I would rather not. Does anyone know about this particular meal? Thank you.

Michelle

mars315:
We ate at Hollywood and Vine under the Fantasmic Dinner Package 6/1 and they seemed pretty strict on adult vs child's meals (my middle son is 10 but is tall for his age....the hostess asked us TWICE if he was 11 or younger even tho our PS clearly had him listed as a child!). Our server, on the other hand, did not seem to care one way or the other. Unless you get a lenient hostess/server, I think you will either have to say she is 11 on your PS or pay the adult price. You may want to consider switching to H & V if you decide not to pay the adult price for your daughter ($21.99 vs $36.99 at Brown Derby). We found the food at H & V to be good, plentiful and of a wide assortment that satisfied all the picky eaters in our family. We had a great time, BTW; definitely worth getting the package so you don't have to wait in line!

We also ordered from the children's menu with no problem...but we tipped a bit more generously (so the waiter wouldn't lose out)

As others have said, yes you can order off the children's menu and many do so. But be prepared, the pickings are usually pretty slim from the children's menu at most WDW restaurants. It is usually just chicken fingers, burgers, hot dogs, P&B etc. What we do if we are not too hungry is order just appetizers or a salad and an appetizer. You have a much larger selection and it is better tasting food.

Originally posted by got2lovedisney
My 15 wanted the Children's menu item at Teppanyaki Dinning and the waitress only VERY GRUDGINGLY allowed her to do that so I'm thinking an adult would definitely not be able to do it here.

I've never had trouble at counter service though.

I might have been a bit lucky. I went here for lunch with my husband, in-laws, and mom and was easily able to order off the children's menu (I was 26 at the time). The server and chef were really quite nice about it. The portion was just right for me; I'd never finish the adult serving and everyone else likes their's too much to share ;)

Mars315-
I think with the Fantamic Dinner Package you will have to pay the adult price for your child. They may let her order a smaller meal but with the package(just like buffets) you pay by age.

Another alternative (if possible) is splitting the entree with someone in your party.

I do this with DH most of the time- and we even did it at Teppanyaki last weekend. We split the salad, and although we were brought one bowl of rice for the both of us (I expected that, but in the past we'd been given a bowl of rice for each of us)- that was fine because DH only ate a bit of the rice and I ate none.

The salad used to be included with the meal, and now it's an add on. We enjoy the salad though- so we split it too!!!

Have fun.......

I don't care for the children's menu offerings, so we just split each meal. The price isn't that big of a diff between ordering a kids meal for both or splitting a real meal, but the food is ALOT better =)

Every single restaurant split our meals in the back for us, too, which is super nice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter