Ordering 2 meals

elvisdiddy808

Earning My Ears
I have heard that if you cannot decide between 2 different meals during dinner, you can ask for both. Being a big eater, can I do this every night? Can I even do this at Palo or will it cost extra?

I was told Palo does not allow double entrees. The MDR was fine with it.

I've received two half-orders of entrees from Palo in the past & it wasn't a problem. I don't see why they wouldn't allow two full entrees.

Once, they brought us FIVE desserts, all different. DH ordered one, as did I. They brought him the panna cotta and sweet pizza, and me a dessert ravioli and tiramisu. And, although we told our server like four times DO NOT bring the soufflé (we are not fans - I know, shock and horror), he brought one anyways. It was nice of him, but a lot of food was wasted. That soufflé didn't even get touched.....

I digress. Just ask. They will probably comply happily with no extra charge.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I'm not sure about Palo dinner, but at brunch you can order as many of the made to order entrees as you wish. Same for MDRs. Everyone at our table ordered multiple appetizers and entrees and we shared them. This way we were able to try everything.

You can certainly order as much as you want. In Palo Dh and I have sometimes been torn between 2 dishes and they have brought us both or one to share if we knew we were not going to be able to handle 2 dishes.

I have never been refused food in Palo. The only thing they won't allow is to take the Palo food out of the restaurant, unless you are in a Royal.

Umm...not true. On our past 2 cruises with the kids I was able to get souffles to go. And on our Aug cruise, I got souffles and food to go for DD. I also got some crab legs and chicken parm to go from brunch.

The Royal suites are the only cabins you can have Palo delivered.

In Palo on May 3, 2013 (Dream). Not only did we get second entrees, but server offered to bring thirds. He would have brought us anything we asked for. Including 2 deserts each. In other dining rooms I always order a second entree & have never been denied. Order as many soups, salads, apps as you want, wherever you want. You won't be denied.

Umm...not true. On our past 2 cruises with the kids I was able to get souffles to go. And on our Aug cruise, I got souffles and food to go for DD. I also got some crab legs and chicken parm to go from brunch.

The Royal suites are the only cabins you can have Palo delivered.

We specifically asked for food to go from Palo during our reservations on the cruise we just finished (Monday) and were told it's not allowed. Perhaps the policy has changed. The reason we were given is that other guests see people with the Palo food outside Palo itself and think they can get it without going to the restaurant. Apparently this is causing enough problems that this is the policy.

Back to MDR ....yes you can order two......we usually go one appetizer each, and we may share one. ...then salad or soup....then main course.....sometimes sharing an extra.......dessert same thing.

We always have the server, who if you are unsure what to order says let me take care of you and brings 2 or 3 out for you to try....they especially do this with desserts.

If you are a big eater you will not go hungry.....enjoy...:thumbsup2

Plus you can always get a late afternoon snack or meal....especially if you have 2nd seating....

We specifically asked for food to go from Palo during our reservations on the cruise we just finished (Monday) and were told it's not allowed. Perhaps the policy has changed. The reason we were given is that other guests see people with the Palo food outside Palo itself and think they can get it without going to the restaurant. Apparently this is causing enough problems that this is the policy.

Or perhaps policy hasn't changed and like a lot of things - it's up to the individual server to apply or not apply.

Some people have been denied multiple entrees, some people have been given half portions of multiple entrees and some people have been straight up given multiple entrees.

some people have been denied taking food from Palo, some have been given limited take away food from Palo (read trip reports - lots of reports of chocolate souffles leaving Palo or plates of desserts to take back to the room) and I'm sure someone sometime was given an entree to take away from Palo (who wasn't staying in a suite).

In the MDR, ordering multiples shouldn't be a problem.
In Palo, talk to your server to see if they will allow this.

MDR & Palo experiences from 3 weeks ago:

In the MDR, DH and I regularly each ordered an entree and then each asked for the meat/seafood item from another entree "on the side". It was never a problem, we were graciously accommodated.
At PALO, I ordered the stuffed chicken breast entree and asked for a "side" of the scallops. DH ordered the Lobster ravioli and also asked for a side of the scallops. Our waiter, said "Of Course, not a problem". We each received a silver dish holding two beautifully done scallops along with a small serving of the accompaniment.

We have never been questioned about wanting or denied a "side" or full 2nd meal.
If you want an additional meal or side dish, go for it. I would however never order more than I would eat. I would not order 2 meals and only take a bite or two of each one, but that is me. Waste not, want not.

In the MDR: If you do plan to order 2 Entrees, please do so at the time of ordering. At least on the classic ships the meals are all staged and plated at the time they will be serving. So as you are finishing your starter, the servers are back picking up the plated Entrees in a prep area. If they miss this opportunity to get them at that time, then they have to go all the way back to the kitchen, which may not be close to the dining room and request plated entrees. We were in a server grouping with a family that was always late to the first dining service. We would just be starting our Entrees and they would arrive settle and then expect everything to come out on time. Our servers told us that it made it that much more difficult because when they were trying to get our desserts, they would be trying get their Salads or Entrees back in the kitchen.

Our experience in Palo has always been we could have as much as we wanted. We actually have to tell them "enough"!! They will bring you whatever you want. I have never heard of anyone being denied extra food.

As far as "take out" at Palo. No, you can't order meals to "take out" like a land based restaurant as policy, but we have often been offered to take food back to our cabin that we have not finished or a plate of desserts or the soufflé if we were too full to eat it there.

I am not talking about concierge Palo policy.

MJ

I was told Palo does not allow double entrees. The MDR was fine with it.

Not to pile on, but at Palo you can order until you burst. We received three entrees and only ordered one. Our server insisted we try the other two!!

We are always encouraged to eat more and more -even in Palo. One time our server asked how many children we had sailing with us and when he returned to the table he packed up two souffles for them. For brunch one time our server packed a to go box full of desserts for us to take with us. We had already stuffed ourselves full of desserts so it wasn't because we were too full to eat desserts while there. That goodie box came in handy. It stormed that afternoon, so we sat out on the veranda watching the storm and chowing on our sweets. It is a great memory!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter