Orbitz just randomly reassigns seating on flights?

janni518

DIS Veteran
So, anyone who booked with orbitz may want to keep an eye on their seating assignments.

Was just checking something on my trip booked through orbitz.com and noticed that my return flight seating arrangements had been changed. Our family of four was now randomly scattered throughout the cabin. Not one seat was anywhere close to another.

I always pick our seat assignments and had done so when I originally booked. I even checked original confirmation and sure enough, all seats together. Luckily I was able to fix it so we are all seated together again but we are 10 rows further back.

Not a huge problem for our family as we have older kids (although my son is VERY shy and would have been quite uncomfortable seated next to a stranger) but I was just thinking how bad this would have been for a family with young children. What if the plane had been full, and it was getting pretty full according to their diagram.

Didn't bother to call as I was able to fix it online and I don't have the patience to deal with their "Longer than usual wait times" but I did drop them an email to make them aware that it had happened.

Doubt we will use them again, this was the first time...

Its not just orbitz. This generally happens when a flight is changed from one type of aircraft to another. It's important to continue to check your flight status right up until you leave. Sometimes times changes, sometimes seats, etc.

Its not just orbitz. This generally happens when a flight is changed from one type of aircraft to another. It's important to continue to check your flight status right up until you leave. Sometimes times changes, sometimes seats, etc.

Really? I've been flying for quite some time and have never had that happen. Perhaps I was just lucky. I've seen the flight times change, usually it'll be highlighted in red when you check ressies.

But to change seating and separate family members? What if these were little kids?

I have equipment changes on planes all the times. Depending on the airline, they will reseat you usually based on size of reservation or status. When I fly British Airways, I find that the plane for my connecting flight was changed while in the air. I had already checked into the flight and had a seat on the old configuration, but when I get to the gate, the agent pulls me aside and gives me my new BP. They have been good and usually give me the same equivalent seat on the new plane.

My two upcoming trips on United, my flight times have been changed five times and the plane has been changed twice.

Since Orbitz is not and doesn't own an airline but rather a travel agency, it's not likely they changed your seats. It almost always makes more sense to purchase airfare directly from the airline, so if there are any problems you can deal directly with the airline instead of a middle-man like Orbitz. This can be true even in relation to packages - most airlines have a travel agency-like division.

Note that searching for airfares (hotel rates, car rentals, vacations) on Kayak or Sidestep is equal to or better than checking each individual vendor's site: you get all the results in ONE place, but make the actual purchase FROM the vendor by clicking through to the end site.

For the record, all airlines offering so-called 'assigned' seats state in their respective Contracts of Carriage that seat assignments are requests and NOT guarantees.

But to change seating and separate family members? What if these were little kids?

There have been many many threads about this topic here over the years. Generally people do not pay a 'child' fare and the airlines are usually unable to see if there is a child in the party. Plus the computer usually takes care of the change of aircraft and seat reassignments. It isn't a human reassigning those seats.

How about when you pay an additional $6.00 for that seat assignment? Has anyone paid the additional charge to get a seast and then have it changed?

How about when you pay an additional $6.00 for that seat assignment? Has anyone paid the additional charge to get a seast and then have it changed?

I've seen that happen when they change planes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter