Orbit One

FayeW

DIS Veteran
Just returned about an hour ago from a week long stay at Orbit One. I chose this resort from skyauction, with a winning bid of $265. and selected Orbit One because of several very good reviews both here and on tripadvisor.com

This resort is located in Kissimee, and is relatively easy to get to and from as long as you know that when leaving Disney property, follow the signs for Animal Kingdom Lodge. The Sherbeth Road shortcut is located between AK and AKL. It took us a few days to figure that out, so we made alot of U-turns!

The resort is well located, and is very nice. Our unit was in the Apollo building, and was spotlessly clean. There are a couple of maintenance issues, just wallpaper starting to peel a little in both bathrooms but I suspect that has alot to do with the humidity in Florida in general, and in bathrooms in particular. We didn't have much to do with the staff, but those we encountered seemed pleasant enough. We had a few messages regarding the timeshare presentation, and had actually given some thought to doing it, but in the end chose not to. Our daughter was ill (suspect food poisoining) on Monday which meant the free day we planned later in the week was taken up doing things we missed on Monday. We would have taken the 4 free passes to Arabian Knights has we taken the tour.

Although the resort was nice enough, I am relatively certain we won't return. We like the Lake Buena Vista area much better than Kissimee, and are just more comfortable driving there. Also, we spend as much time at US/IOA as we do at the WDW parks so Lake Buena Vista is more centrally located for us.

The biggest reason we won't return is lack of wireless internet. Like an idiot, I chose to work on this vacation. This is a relatively slow period for me and I thought I could handle things myself without having someone watch my files. It was no problem while we stayed the first two nights at Sheraton Safari as wireless internet is available for $9.95 per 24 hour period. There IS internet at Orbit One, however it is not wireless, and you can't use your own computer unless you have dial up. I had to use the computer in the lounge at .35 per minute!! I could not open email attachments from that computer so I had a very stressful week, although entirely of my own making.

So, to recap, I can recommend the resort if you are primarily doing Disney parks, and you don't need frequent access to the internet during your stay. We enjoyed the pool and hot tub; and the units and grounds were clean and well maintained. The citrus scented cleansers they use can be overwhelming, particularily in the lounge area, but that may be just my own sensitivity. Those of you planning to stay there can rest assured that you should have a pleasant stay. (However, I don't recommend dining at the McDonald's across the street, or "botulism in a bag" as we now refer to it.)

Thanks for the detailed review! We are staying there next month (also through skyauction) and it sounds perfect for what we need. Did you happen to notice if there is a basketball court? I know it sounds silly, but my son is missing a couple of weeks of basketball practice/games and I was hoping my DH could practice with him.

Thanks!

mrsmagic said:
Thanks for the detailed review! We are staying there next month (also through skyauction) and it sounds perfect for what we need. Did you happen to notice if there is a basketball court? I know it sounds silly, but my son is missing a couple of weeks of basketball practice/games and I was hoping my DH could practice with him.

Thanks!

I didn't see the basketball court, just the pools, playground and tennis courts, so I can't comment on it's condition or location. There is a small arcade (8-10 games) as well.

To get to WDW from Orbit One, go left out of the parking lot, and then straight across the 192 (Entry Point changes to Sherbeth Road as you cross the 192). Go all the way on Sherbeth Rd to the stop light (about 2 mins), and then go right to get to all Disney Guest areas. Left will only take you to AKL.

When coming back, just follow the signage for AK/ AKL, (until you get to AK, then follow sign for AKL).

Thank you for the great review. One would think they'd consider putting in wireless internet in this day and age. Otherwise, sounds like a nice place to stay.

We stayed at Orbit One the week of Dec. 9-16 and had a pleasant stay. We were also in a recently refurbished unit and thought it was in good shape for an older timeshare. Our unit was clean and the location relative to the parks (especially Animal Kingdom) was great. We didn't spend much time at Orbit One and didn't use the pool or tennis courts. The employees we talked with were helpful.

My DH also worked part of the week. It turns out that the McDonald's across the street has wireless access. I'm not sure of the charge since it was covered by DH's business. I would agree with FayeW about not eating there, but you can get a bottled water and sit outside at the playscape and check email, etc.

All in all, we liked Orbit One. Last year we stayed at Bryan's Spanish Cove (these properties are owned by the same company) and I thought they were fairly comparable. We also booked through Skyauction for about $260 for the week, which we felt was an excellent value.

festivedaisy, are you following me?;)

We also stayed at Bryan's Spanish Cove last year, (I think you and I communicated a little about that one). I liked the units better at BSC, but I liked Orbit One (the resort itself) better. There was something about BSC that I can't quite put my finger on that turned me off a little. Just a feeling I guess that things were a little shabby, which doesn't make sense because our unit was spotless. I think it was because our room pretty much looked over a swamp.

I did use the wireless internet at McDonalds a few times, I think it was $2.95 for 2 hours. The last time I attempted it I couldn't connect. I spent about 20 mins trying and finally gave up. It didn't make sense because I had used it successfully twice before.

hi, im in sixth grade and next october me and my family are going here and we are wondering if there is wireless internet,tvs in all rooms and extra blankets and pillows for the sleeper couch thing?.....

thanks for the help

ally =)

We have stayed there 3 times now. This visit we will be trying a new place.

I paid the $30 per week for unlimited access to the internet while there. We could use our laptops in the lobby and even go out to the pool area with it. It is not ideal, but we haven't found any of the SkyAuction.com resorts to have internet in the rooms yet.

Dawn

We stayed there in 2007, in the mercury building, we liked it. $216 for the week through SkyAuction. Heres a few photos.

Florida2007082.jpg

Florida2007087.jpg

Florida2007085.jpg

Florida2007086.jpg

Florida2007095.jpg

Florida2007088.jpg

I stayed at Orbit One in January. We had wireless internet in our room. I think it depends on what unit you get.
I have found wireless internet at almost all the timeshares I have gotten thru skyauction. Including Wyndham Cypress Palms, Grand Beach, Orbit One, Cypress Pointe Grande Villas (my brother had something to convert signal to wireless) and Club Sevilla (where it was free). Found no wireless at Silver Lake.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter