Orange Lakes ?

LovesTimone

Christmas Day 2017
DH and I are trying something new, we are thinking about staying at Orange Lakes, in Nov. The week before Thanksgiving. We will be staying in a 2 bed 2 bath, and I was wondering what some thoughts were on staying there?

We will be going to Epcot one day, Universal studios, junkin', outlet shopping, and most likely head over to the beach just to enjoy the water, and have dinner with some friends. Just really relax. Possibly our DD and her DH might come and stay a couple of days and visit their friends.

Since the visit will be so close to Thanksgiving, DH and I were talking about maybe having a early Thanksgiving with some of our family and friends, would their be enough room, have about 10 people or so, and is the kitchen equiped to with enough basic items, to be able to do this, everyone would bring a couple of dishes, and just share and spend some time together.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great .

DH and I are trying something new, we are thinking about staying at Orange Lakes, in Nov. The week before Thanksgiving. We will be staying in a 2 bed 2 bath, and I was wondering what some thoughts were on staying there?

We will be going to Epcot one day, Universal studios, junkin', outlet shopping, and most likely head over to the beach just to enjoy the water, and have dinner with some friends. Just really relax. Possibly our DD and her DH might come and stay a couple of days and visit their friends.

I stayed at Orange Lake a couple of times, and I like it. It's closer to Disney than Universal; however we stayed there for our Universal only trip. Lots to do, and you'll be able to relax.

Since the visit will be so close to Thanksgiving, DH and I were talking about maybe having a early Thanksgiving with some of our family and friends, would their be enough room, have about 10 people or so, and is the kitchen equiped to with enough basic items, to be able to do this, everyone would bring a couple of dishes, and just share and spend some time together.

IIRC, the kitchen was pretty big. I wouldn't use it to prepare the entire meal. But you can easily fit your turkey in the oven and prepare a few side dishes.

I can't remember if the dining room table sat four or six. I think six. Nonetheless, you won't get all ten around the table. But between the table and the couch/chairs in the living room, you should be able to handle ten.

We stayed there last summer. It was very close to Disney. Other than that I wasn't impressed. The kitchen had broken and missing items (ok it happens) but when we called it was a huge hassle to get replacements. We felt the room had generally worn feel. Also they hyped the h2o park to us and then told us we would have to pay extra. When we went over there it was impossible to get anyone to take our money, trying to bounce us back to the front desk, etc.

The resort has fans, but I'm not one of them. We have stayed in resorts we liked much better in the area. Orange Lake is too spread out and doesn't have the resorty feel. It is also pretty far out 192.

If I were going to stay that far out again, I'd go to Summer Bay, which we liked much more.

There are many nice resorts in Orlando. Orange Lake doesn't stand out from the group for me.

Sheila

We stayed there last summer. It was very close to Disney. Other than that I wasn't impressed. The kitchen had broken and missing items (ok it happens) but when we called it was a huge hassle to get replacements. We felt the room had generally worn feel. Also they hyped the h2o park to us and then told us we would have to pay extra. When we went over there it was impossible to get anyone to take our money, trying to bounce us back to the front desk, etc.

The last time we stayed, our condo was missing the coffee pot ... we called and within 15 minutes we had a new one in the room. Maybe just a timing issue but we've never had a problem like that.

Depending on where you stay in the resort the rooms can be a bit "older" feeling. We always pay the extra money to get a condo in the River Island area and all of those rooms are currently undergoing renovations.

The "h20" park is River Island, the pool area has two waterslides and a lazy river which are free to use (unless you want a tube) ... they also have an area in the back that has a huge 40ft. inflatable waterslide, a rock wall, a bungee trampoline and a Mini-Golf course ..... these items all cost extra but the resort offers a "play-pass" for sale. When you check in they will give you a deal if you are interested.

You said you found it impossible to get anyone to take your money, but when you check in the front desk agents tell you right away that this is a cashless resort you can use your room key or a credit card to pay for things.

It is also pretty far out 192.

If I were going to stay that far out again, I'd go to Summer Bay, which we liked much more.

Sheila

Summer Bay is actually further out on 192 than Orange Lake, Summer Bay is closer to US27 and the Clermont area.

We are semi-local and we stay at OL every time we go to Orlando so to answer the OPs question ...

in a 2 bed/2 bath Condo you probably would not be able to sit 10 people around the table, at most 6/7 people would fit comfortably. The dining sitting room is attached to the living area though so as someone else mentioned the other could sit in the living area and still be close enough to the table.

The kitchen is equipped enough to cook a meal though so that shouldn't be a worry.

There is a Publix supermarket right outside the resort as well as a Target and a Wal-Mart a little down 192.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask, as stated I have stayed there a lot and can answer any questions you may have.

:thumbsup2

We paid the extra to stay in the newer River Island section and had no complaints. It was spacious and clean. We walked out the door to River Island.
It was all cashless we had no issues. Just like staying on resort at Disney.

We are considering Orange Lake or Sheraton Vistana Villages for a 2 week trip in the late summer.
I was curious if, I stead of paying $9 per day for a tube for the lazy river at Orange Lake, could you bring your own?

Also, what does the room description "2 bedroom villa upgrade" at Orange Lake mean?

Thanks.

We are considering Orange Lake or Sheraton Vistana Villages for a 2 week trip in the late summer.
I was curious if, I stead of paying $9 per day for a tube for the lazy river at Orange Lake, could you bring your own?

Also, what does the room description "2 bedroom villa upgrade" at Orange Lake mean?

Thanks.

No unfortunately you can't bring your own tube, but they do have a "play-pass" ... it's a card that you buy and it gives you access to all the extra items in River Island ... Tube Rental, Mini-Golf, the big 40' inflatable waterslide in the very back (which is a blast by the way), the rock wall and the Bungee Trampoline.

The pass is priced based on # of days you are visiting and what activities you want included.

BUUUUUT - I'll tell you a secret that we figured out ... :rolleyes1 as you float along in the lazy river you will come upon discarded tubes, you can pick one up and float around in it until you get caught. There is 3 or 4 points along the lazy river where they have life guards standing and they will "look" for your wristband to show you have access to tubes, if they don't see it they will ask for your tube. Plenty of times they were busy doing other things and I floated right by them!

as for the 2 bedroom villa Upgrade? Not sure ... usually if you are booking the waterpark area it will say "2 Bedroom Waterpark"

My parents always stay at Orange Lake when they go to Orlando (almost yearly). We went with them over New Years and had a great time. 4 adults fit comfortably in the 2 bedroom. Having 2 bathrooms was a HUGE perk. The kitchen was a little small, but functional. The only issue we had is the patio furniture wasn't comfortable and was dirty (but what can you do about outdoor furniture to keep it clean :confused3 ).

It is pretty spread out. It was close to a 10 minute walk to the closest pool, but when you are in Florida, it's not a problem for us! It wasn't too far to Disney, at least we didn't notice. There are a lot of restaurants nearby, which is a big perk. But, you do have to drive everywhere.

We recommend it.

We are booked to stay here over Christmas/New Years. We were wondering if you happen to know if they do anything at the resort for New Years? We are also booked in the West Village through rci. Any recommendations for a location request?

For NYE this year they had a kids/teen dance party in the main lodge and an adults party out at the bar by the pool. There were fireworks you could see. We didn't attend, but they also had events most of the day by the pool celebrating NYE. The activities were all ages and a lot of fun!

I Can't wait to go! We are going to Orange Lakes for our honeymoon. Our gracious best man got us the reservation from his time share. We'll be there from Sept 14-21. Also lucked out in plane fare and found a rate with non stop flight and we're arriving before noon! So we have the whole day to enjoy ourselves.

Not sure what to expect but checking out the boards to get any info I can. I understand that there is roughly a $250 hold on our card... so anything that we purchase so to speak at the resort is taken out of that amount? We are also renting a car so that won't be an issue. And I love that there is a Target nearby ... I am an employee there so I can use my discount and my redcard discount ;)

Any tips or tricks would be great! Getting excited!!!!!

We have owned at Orange Lake for 20+ years, so, yes, there are villas that are older and perhaps a little worn. But, we have always had a wonderful time there. To be honest, however, in our 9 stays, we have only had 2-3 "Condo Days". Otherwise, we are at the parks or out and about. I hope you have a great honeymoon EeyoreME!

In several resorts you may find on off-season, deals for 250 $ for a week (for a nice condo+kitchen etc..)

Is there any chance for this price in Orange Lake ? How ?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter