Orange Co. Schools to Close Friday

crazy4wdw

Moderator - Restaurant Board
From Today's Orlando Sentinel
Closings, cancellations and more
Schools to close due to advancing hurricane

From Staff Reports
Posted September 1, 2004, 12:37 PM EDT

Schools and institutions across Central Florida started announcing closings early Wednesday in anticipation of Hurricane Frances' landfall toward the end of this week.

Orange, Osceola and Lake county schools announced they'll be closed on Friday. Volusia Schools officials said they'll be closed Thursday and Friday to prepare for Frances.

Orange County public schools officials said all extra-curricular activities scheduled for Friday or the weekend are cancelled.

Lake County schools officials said they're closing at the request of emergency management officials. All sports games and extracurricular activites are also cancelled.

In Osceola, Superintendent Blaine Muse has closed all public and charter schools Friday and said no employees should report to work unless directed by their supervisor for emergency purposes.

Parents in Osceola should check the the district's website at www.osceola.k12.fl.us for any further updates or call the district's Community Relations Office at 407-870-4007.

Seminole County has suspended all secondary school activities from 2:30 p.m. Friday until 9 p.m. next Monday, said Raymond Gaines, the county director of secondary schools. Most football games originally scheduled for Friday night have been moved to Thursday.

Daytona Beach Community College will close its campus at the end of normally scheduled classes on Wednesday, as well as Thursday and Friday. No DBCC courses are set for Saturday. And with Labor Day on Monday, the school plans to resume Tuesday.

"In an effort to let everybody prepare for this hurricane, that would not be a good ideas on our part," to even hold classes on Thursday, said school spokesman Glyn Johnston.

Other area colleges and universities, such as the University of Central Florida and Rollins College, will make decisions on if and when to close down later Wednesday afternoon.

Valencia Community College officials plan to make the call on Thursday morning

Well then I'd be quite surprised if they don't cancel school for Friday here in South Florida. They're still talking about it.

I bet they'll be closing the parks at WDW again! At least it's not peak time there now so they're should be some availability at the resorts, hmm, maybe we should head up...ahhh..wishful thinking but I don't think so.

Im in South Florida also and Im waiting to hear.
On the news this morning they said there would be a meeting at 2:00 today then we would know more!!

They cancelled school here in Broward County (Ft Lauderdale area) for Thursday and Friday. My DD11 came home excited because she gets a 5 day weekend. They are even stopping public bus service as of 5 am Thursday.

Shirley

Originally posted by jwfla422
still talking about it.

I bet they'll be closing the parks at WDW again! At least it's not peak time there now

It's Labor Day weekend. The parks will be losing lots of money on this one.

Hey - was wondering if any of you Florida residents could tell me which days the schools are closed around Columbus Day. We will be there from the 10-16 and was curious which days might be extra busy with Florida schools closed. Someone had mentioned that they would be closed the Friday after Columbus Day. THX

Orlando schools are using all the vacation days in October as makeup days for when the schools were closed for Hurricane Charley. They were supposed to have teacher inservice days in October but those are now going to be regular classroom days.

I teach in Volusia County, and our schools are closed Thursday and Friday. We missed six days from Charley...and it looks like we are going to be adding some days to the count. My 8th graders actually groaned when they made the announcement today...one said, "We are going to be in school until July this year!" :(
Best of luck and many prayers to all my fellow Floridians...Charley was scary enough...this one looks even worse.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter