Options for Thanksgiving or Christmas

cheesemouse

DIS Veteran
Hi - We just closed today on our first ever contract (BLT). We won't be able to book for several weeks at best but naturally I'm thinking about how to use the current and banked points.

Is it all reasonable to possibly get a reservation this Thanksgiving week or Christmas time? We are not particular about where we go or stay (but there are 5 of us). Maybe VB or HH or WDW??? We would not likely go for a whole week so a partial week could be ok. The only no go would Aulani.

Thoughts on this? I know the chances are slim but those times are easiest with school schedules. Otherwise I'd likely have to wait until Memorial weekend and later, which is ok too but just harder to wait!

Thanks!

BOth of those weeks will be hard to find reservations at this point. HOwever if you are willing to get creative and do a split stay I bet you can work something out.

I encourage you to call and book via Member Services (rather than online). I suspect it's unconfirmed and any evidence I have would be anecdotal, but I swear first-time DVC member bookings receive preferential treatment (as I believe I did back in 2012 when I booked Aulani and the Grand Californian as a first-time DVC member; Member Services got me everything I asked for well inside of the 7 month window even though comments online suggested that availability for the Grand Californian was tight).

At the very least, Member Services will be able to review all options and walk you through what's available, if anything. As Bill indicates, SSR is huge and almost always has some availability; Key West is also sometimes available when other resorts are no longer.

I encourage you to call and book via Member Services (rather than online). I suspect it's unconfirmed and any evidence I have would be anecdotal, but I swear first-time DVC member bookings receive preferential treatment.

Only if OP purchased direct. With a BLT contract, that may not be the case. Member Services aren't going to pull strings on a resale contract.

i would say it will be very difficult short of waitlisting....having done christmas many times, the actual christmas week was something we locked up at OKW right on the 7 month window day, and even that had to have a couple of year with a day or to waitlist (always came through)

Due to the high points, Christmas week seems to have a little more availability than early December (DVC's busiest period)
But by now it may require a lot of flexibility (split stays) and persistence (stalking the availability website and taking days as they appear)

I encourage you to call and book via Member Services (rather than online). I suspect it's unconfirmed and any evidence I have would be anecdotal, but I swear first-time DVC member bookings receive preferential treatment (as I believe I did back in 2012 when I booked Aulani and the Grand Californian as a first-time DVC member; Member Services got me everything I asked for well inside of the 7 month window even though comments online suggested that availability for the Grand Californian was tight).

At the very least, Member Services will be able to review all options and walk you through what's available, if anything. As Bill indicates, SSR is huge and almost always has some availability; Key West is also sometimes available when other resorts are no longer.

While MS may help a direct buyer with their first reservation, the buyers guide is who has access to developer inventory and who has skin in the game. Direct buyers since they are paying a premium should always insist on what any extras possible.

:earsboy: Bill

Even HHI might be kind of hard to get. But if you do luck out there, feel free to ask any questions-we're going for 11th year this Thanksgiving.

This year there is some availability around still. I think the AP blackouts may have a little to do with it.

Just to give you an idea, for thanksgiving 2016 -- looks like SSR is your best bet, but even then, there's currently nothing for that Th/F night, at SSR -- or any WDW property. VB has all days except Th.

Keep in mind that inventory fluctuates daily (and often times by the minute) -- so what is available now, is not going to be there tomorrow...especially at busy times of the year.

Good luck! And happy hunting once you get access!

Hi - We just closed today on our first ever contract (BLT). We won't be able to book for several weeks at best but naturally I'm thinking about how to use the current and banked points.

Is it all reasonable to possibly get a reservation this Thanksgiving week or Christmas time? We are not particular about where we go or stay (but there are 5 of us). Maybe VB or HH or WDW??? We would not likely go for a whole week so a partial week could be ok. The only no go would Aulani.

Thoughts on this? I know the chances are slim but those times are easiest with school schedules. Otherwise I'd likely have to wait until Memorial weekend and later, which is ok too but just harder to wait!

Thanks!

HHI currently has 2BR unit availability for 18-25 Dec for 25 points/night S-Th and 35 points/night for Fri/Sat. (I think it is a great bargain.) Due to a last minute work schedule change, our family had to make a last minute (in timeshare time) switch from Grand Cal to HHI for Christmas last year (I think it was about 45 days prior to check-in). We were able to book the first 4 nights and then wait list the last night--the last night came through so we didn't have to move (we had another cash reservation as a back up).

We had a nice relaxing time at HHI.

Thanks everyone. There was some availability for some of my kids Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks. But, in the end we decided to hold off for now and use the points sometime next summer. It's just so hard to wait!

Christmas eve and Christmas day have a ton of availability. A wait list and some website stalking should score you an extra day or two on top of that. Check as soon as you get your points and you'll find something!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter