Options for Dolphin excursion?

Heyentah

E-Ticket Holder
We're going on the Western 7 day and we really want to do the dolphin excursion on Cozumel, but we also want to do one of the ruins excursions. Does anyone know of any other islands or ports that have a dolphin excursion? Is the dolphin excursion on Cozumel really fun? what does it entail?
i51781847_18498.gif

I asked the same question earlier and havent had much luck either. I will follow your thread for results and if I get any answers I will surely keep you posted. You know what our problem with Conzumel is? That the re-embarkation time is 6 pm or maybe thats when it leaves port. Not sure but our stay in Mexico is definitely goig to be a short one.

Terry

I believe Orlando Fl. (or somewhere near Orlando) has a dolphin program. I forget the name of it....but when we were planning our DD wish trip the wish coordinator kept trying to get us to do that instead :confused3 . Nassau also has one...but if your doing the Western you shouldn't be stopping there. :teeth:

I don't remember any other dolphin excursions on the western. Scrapperjill is referring to Discovery Cove in Florida. A friend of ours went there last year and raved about it. She was quite impressed with everything there.

Somewhere here I heard the ruins were not authentic but man made replicas though I cannot confirm. Also,the updated Passporter reports that some were disappointed in the Cozumel Dolphin excursion due to "chin deep water","bulky life jackets" and "brief training session".

Can I ask a question that wont cause a a problem and this is just something I watched on Discovery last night but I had heard about it before.

How safe is swimming with the dolphins? Now I did this while living in Key West and never thought a thing about it, but after watching Discovery channel last night and also an incident that happened in Orlando where a little boy was bitten by a dolphin that was going to removed for more lessons on agression, I wonder just how safe it really is - there were a number of people that were actually attacked by dolphins due to the fact they are pushed into an being agressive or just teed off and take it out on swimmers - each time the dolphins were either teased or were in "heat" - just a question that has made me look at this experience in a different light.
Again this is being writen in just a curious manner.
Always
Shirley

We did a dolphin encounter program with Dolphin Discovery in Cozumel back in 2004 and it was the highlight of our trip. Our then 3 year old still talks about it today.

I've heard Disney is bringing back Dolphin Discovery for Cozumel starting September, not sure how credible that is.

I went ahead and booked the Dolphin Discovery tour directly without going through Disney, since Disney isn't using them yet for the August cruises. Some on board said that the facility in the once beautiful park isn't what it used to be due to the 2004 hurricane, but I'm sure the dolphin program will remain the same. The water back in 2004 was between waist to chest, depending on your height. We all stand on the platform and small children need to be held by adults if they can't swim, since they feet won't be able to touch the platform.

I hope this helps. I'll let you know more about it after we come back :)

p.s. Looks like disney also has a dolphin program in Costa maya, not sure how that one is

Thanks for all the great tips. I went ahead and booked with dolphin discovery directly, for 12:00 encounter, maybe with great luck we can still make it to the ruins afterward. ps. Disney is taking reservations for dolphins now :0)

I booked for Costa Maya because we are going to Xcaret while in Cozumel. However, we cruise after you so I wont be much of a help. If anyone has any reviews I would appreciate it.

BirdMom:

We are also going to be on that cruise. YAY! :woohoo:

Did you decide what you're going to do with the rest of your day?

Reason I'm asking is because I'm sorta still stuck with this dilema myself. Only difference is that I STILL haven't booked any excursions for that day yet. My original plan was to go see "Excaret" and book their Dolphin Encounter at that park. Only problem is the limited time we would have in the park for the hefty price. We'd be spending over $700.00 just for that day alone and we would only be in the actual park for about 3 hours and one of those hours would be spent with the dolphins. So we are likely going to book the Conzumel Dolphin Discovery excursion but still don't know what to do afterwards. If you have any suggestions let me know.... I was thinking of the beach break but I don't know if I can book two excursions in one day. They sort of overlap eachother.

Well we ended up booking all the dolphin encounters at 3:00 pm because they could not get all 4 of us in at any other time. Sadly my DH will be going to the ruins with out me and the girls as that is what he truly wanted to do and we did not have the time to do both! (that night is also pirate night for us so we need lots of time to get ready!!!! :thumbsup2 All I can say is call Dolphin Discovery NOW if you want to book anytime soon. They fill up fast. Good luck

Airfare to and from Florida and our fist ever Disney cruise (in the middle of hurricane season) $6,500. Full pirate attire for family $600. Formal dresses for 3 and a new tux for DH $1,000. Food, drinks, tips, shutters & must have souvenirs $650 . Seeing the "MAGIC" for the first time in my children's eyes..... PRICELESS

Thats Magic for ya! :wizard: Disney brings out the kid in all of us. :crazy: That woman you'll see crying at the port, that will be me. :sad: TEARS OF JOY...
Oh yeah! :woohoo:

Thanks I will get right on on it :wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter