Options for 2 adults, 4 smallish kids

ngh

Earning My Ears
Many apologies if this has been discussed before, but I've dug thru weeks of threads and can't seem to find anything similar enough.

We're going to WDW in the 3rd week of April. Two adults, 4 kids ages 12, 8, 6, and 2. The 2yo sleeps in a crib. We really want to stay onsite. Call me a snob, but I'm not really a value hotel kind of gal.

Suites seem ridicuously expensive. I know some of the properties can sleep 6 as long as one is in a crib--like the Poly. And we'd probably get along fine with just one bathroom. But will we just feel like sardines? Is there a particular property someone would (or definitely would not!) recommend for having all 6 stay in one room?

The cabins at FW sound sort of appealing, but they sound far away from everything. If one adult wants to run over to the property to get a nap in for the 2 year old, I'm thinking that pretty much shoots the whole afternoon. Same thing with the DVC properties. Am I wrong?

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Do you anticipate spending a lot of time at the MK? The cabins are just a ferry ride away from there. I love the cabins, but we will always rent a car. I hate waiting for busses, especially with children. I think the benefits will outweigh the inconvenience though if you decide to use Disney transportation, the full kitchen, the home-like atmosphere, it is so relaxing with little ones.

There are several DVC properties very close to the parks. Boardwalk Villas and BeachClub Villas are with in walking distance to Epcot and MGM. (There is also a boat for tired feet.) The Villas at the Wilderness Lodge are a boat ride away from MK. Only SSR amd OKW could be considered distant.

With 3 kids, I think the advantage of having a full kitchen and washer and dryer like at the DVC resorts would be wonderful. Also, you could put the little one down for a nap in a seperate bedroom. These are all deluxe resorts, so the decor and furnishings are beautiful. You can rent points from a DVC member and really save over rack rate. If you want info on that, see the DVC forum here on the Disboards.

Just a slight change to what Mamatojon said about the cabins being a ferry ride to the Magic Kingdom. You have to take a bus from your cabin loop to get to the ferry.

The cabins are very nice--it's nice to have two rooms and a full kitchen so it's easy to make breakfast in. We did find the transportation to be pretty frustrating because it required a transfer to get anywhere. We wound up using our rental car most of the time. I don't know if it's improved since we stayed there, but we would never stay there without access to a car.

A DVC resort would be a nice option, but note that for your family size, you would need a two bedroom.

Karen

2 rooms at POFQ for my family of 5 (kids aged 13, 10 and 5). But it's during value season and we've gotten the rooms for less than $200 per night. As soon as I mentioned to DH that we'd have our own room he was all for it!

So.... this is a roundabout way of suggesting you look into booking 2 moderate rooms.

The Contemporary will have the biggest rooms (the Poly is second). I know that the CR has a daybed in addition to 2 queen beds so there will be enough beds for everyone. You can also walk to MK from the CR. The garden wing rooms are less expensive.

swilphil said:
The Contemporary will have the biggest rooms (the Poly is second). I know that the CR has a daybed in addition to 2 queen beds so there will be enough beds for everyone. You can also walk to MK from the CR. The garden wing rooms are less expensive.

Two small corrections - Poly rooms all have daybeds

Room sizes:
Polynesian - 409
Tokelua,Tahiti & Rapa Nui - all rooms are 452 sq ft
Contemporary - 422

:flower1:

POR should be able to sleep 5 plus an infant in a room with a trundle, but I bet it would be a tight fit.

We stayed with all 4 of ours at the Poly (in one room) and at POR with the trundle when the youngest was under 3. Both times it was a tight fit. We decided after that to join DVC. It is pricey but the 2 bedrooms can't be beat!!! We love it :D I suggest renting DVC points, and consider buying in if you visit WDW regularly and always want to stay on-site. Lacee Also, doing laundry at the Poly was a nightmare, I love my washer/dryer and kitchen at DVC. We own points at BCV and VWL!!

Call the Dolphin and see if you can get a Jr. Suite at a AAA or Entertainment Card discount rate. That rate is around $350, which is a great value. The Dolphin Jr. Suites are basically 2 connecting hotel rooms, one of which is a parlor with a murphy bed. They sleep 6 people in beds.

We stayed at Pol ywith 4 adults (over 30) and 2 children, 2 and 3.
The 2 and 3 yr old shared a bed with me, my parents were in the other bed and my brother was in the daybed. We were fine. We had to try to keep our stuff organized, otherwise it got a little tight. But the convenience to the the MK more than made up for any bit of "squeezing", and honestly it wasn't bad at all. I would do it over again in a heartbeat. (There is a good sized closet in the Poly; we stored a lot of stuff in there.) I'd take it any day over 2 rooms at a moderate.

Hieatt said:
Call the Dolphin and see if you can get a Jr. Suite at a AAA or Entertainment Card discount rate. That rate is around $350, which is a great value. The Dolphin Jr. Suites are basically 2 connecting hotel rooms, one of which is a parlor with a murphy bed. They sleep 6 people in beds.

Could anyone tell me more about these suites? I ruled them out, because I thought I read that the Jr Suites were just larger rooms.

Thanks.

My sister and her husband stayed at the YC with the same amount of children and almost the exact ages. They were comfortable and absolutely LOVED it there!

The Jr. Suites at the Swan are indeed larger rooms with a small dining table and only sleep 4. The Jr. Suites at the Dolphin are basically two connecting rooms, one of which is a parlor. Here is the floorplan:

jrsuite.gif

The YC is beautiful, but the Dolphin is every bit as nice, with just as good a location, and you could probably get this suite for the same price as a regular room at the YC.

Unfortunately, Dolphin Jr suites aren't available from 4/13-4/19, which is when we're planning to go. And when I try to go online to reserve something, I keep getting timed out (virtually instantaneously) or given pretty much two options--OKW and SSR. I hope that doesn't mean lots of stuff is sold out when I'm going to be there.... I'll have to get on the phone during the day tomorrow or over to AAA and try to work something out--but off to the DVC boards to figure out this renting points thing first.... Thanks!

I know you said you're not the value type of girl -- neither am I. However, we just returned from a stay at the POP -- there were 2 adults and 4 children - 11, 10, 6 & 3. We had two connecting rooms and it was really nice having the extra room and the extra bathroom. Our rooms were always clean and the resort still felt very "NEW". Honestly, we only were there long enough to sleep, grab breakfast and a late-night snack from the food court, and to swim once. And for $55/night per room -- it just couldn't be beat. I used the money I saved for more character meals and other extras.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter