• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Opinions Please...pirate Adventure

Dawn414

DIS Veteran
Ok, this isn't the pirate and princess party...this is the Pirate Adventure where they go out on a boat (ages 4-10), collect 'booty'...takes two hours. It is being run from several resorts including Grand Floridian and Port Orleans. The Port Orleans is more intimate only having 12 kids at a time whereas the Grand Floriidan is 24. My munchkins are 4 so I'm kind of leaning toward the 12 kids at a time so they don't get squashed in the mix, but from the 'Adult' view point, not sure if I want to spend the 2+ hours at GF or PO-Riverside. Thoughts? Has anyone done one of these that can provide some insight to both the 'adventure' and what they did during the time their kids were on this boat?

Thanks all...Dawn McG

Have you seen the review threads HERE on Allearsnet? DS hasn't done any of the kids cruises yet but I've heard good things. Just thought that site might help you.

ETA: you might also peruse the "fact sheets" and some of the other info on Allears for ideas on things to do at the different resorts. HTH

:)

Thanks. this is helpful...the person I spoke with to make the reservations (I reserved both and will cancel the one we don't go to) made it seem like they were both pirate adventures and the reviews suggest differently (pirate bandana versus jester hat), etc...

Any other opinions are certainly welcomed!
Dawn McG

How about the one from the YC? My DD did that one and the one at the GF by herself when she was about 5. She loved both. When she did the one at the GF each kid got a "buddy"(another kid)that they were to stay with. There were about 2 CMs on the cruise with them. They got the bandannas and bag full of loot and had lunch. DH and I rented a boat at the marina and had lunch on it that we bought at Gasparilla's(there fast food spot). It was great and we all had a great day. When DD did the one from the YC, we were staying at the BW and DS was too young to go with her so we took him swimming while DD was on the cruise. One of the stops on the adventure is at the BW near the pool area so we got to see her without her knowing and she was having such a great time. That cruise had a lot less kids than the GF one and still 2 CM's. I don't know exactly how many kids though. They got similar things as the GF one but they got to go to Epcot to find treasure. At first I was hesitant to let her do the cruise but I am so glad I did, she loved them! Also, she really loved the Grand Adventures in Cooking and the Tea Party with Alice at the GF.

Haven't really thought about the Yacht Club because they were all 'presented' as the same (which it doesn't sound like they are) and also because for that 2ish hours, I'm debating whether to spend that time at PO-Riverside or GF...so it's about the kids, but about us too...just don't know!

I sent my DS5 and DD7 on the Pirate Cruise out of the GF. They had a blast and the crew was very attentive. At the GF we took our youngest son, who could not go on the cruise to the Mary Poppins themed buffet breakfast, there is another restaurant there that you could eat breakfast at (sorry I forgot the name). Since we only had two hours to occupy our time before the kids got back, we did not feel safe going very far. There were many nice places to sit by the dock and wait for the boat to get back and some parents were reading books or just relaxing. You would also have time to roam around the grounds a bit and look at the shops.

I just talked to a CM and apparently the Jester theme wasn't working out so well because now the one at Port Orleans is also a Pirate Adventure...just focusing on a NewOrleans pirate versus a FLA pirate. Anyone do this one? (Versus the Jester)? Still in debate...

Dawn McG

Our kids went on the cruise from YC. We walked around and checked out the hotel. 2 hours went fast. DD is now 8 she went when she was 6. I asked her did you like the pirate cruise and would you do it again, she stated yes to both. They ate PBJ sandwiches and went on a pirate hunt. We watched some of it from the shore. What we did not know is DVC members can get a discount, which I read I believe from this board, the year after we went I learned about the discount.

Hi Dawn!
My own DIStwins are 9 now . . . we went for their first trip when they were 5 so I can attest that you are going at a perfect time for them to experience the magic of it all!
I can't really personally attest to what the cruises at WDW are like, but my kids did a Pirate's Adventure at Cape Cod last year and it was the best adventure they've ever had! Parents went too, though my kids were so into it, I think they completely forgot we were there! I'm sure your kids will love it, no matter which one you go on! ENJOY the trip!

Our DD6 did the cruise from the GF in August. She loved it. Made friends immediately and said the staff was great. I asked her if she would tell someone else to do it, and she said YES

It was the most relaxing time I had the whole vacation. I dropped her off, went to the GF and got coffee and a paper and sat by the docks. Take the time to do nothing.

- Deborah

My four year old did the GF cruise earlier this month and LOVED it. It was easily the highlight of his trip. I spent the two hours exploring the shops and grounds at the GF. They have some great shops!

He's doing the POR cruise in December, and I'm sure he'll enjoy that one too!

Our son has been on the one at GF and YC and he loved them both. When he went on the one at GF, it was a rainy morning so they didn't take the kids out in the boat, instead, they had an adventure around the resort. Imagine a bunch of kids running around GF with pirate ears on and screaming "ARGHHH" at everyone they pass. They had their treasure hunt around the resort and stayed out of the weather and looked like they all had a great time.

When he did the cruise at the YC, he said they actually went into the lagoon inside World Showcase in Epcot for part of the boat ride/treasure hunt. Just before they came back to the dock, one of the CM's dressed like a pirate got into one of the water mice and with a pirate flag and wodden sword and went out and chased the boat the kids were in. Those of us standing on the dock could hear them all screaming "ARGHHH' at each other. When they returned to the dock there were huge smiles on ever kids face.

I think your kids will have a great time regardless of which adventure they go on and I highly recommend the adventures to anyone with kids.

My four year old did the GF cruise earlier this month and LOVED it. It was easily the highlight of his trip. I spent the two hours exploring the shops and grounds at the GF. They have some great shops!

He's doing the POR cruise in December, and I'm sure he'll enjoy that one too!

OOOHHH...can you create a tickler or something to let me know how the POR was is? Ours is scheduled for January...I have both POR and GF scheduled right now and would love to know if one is just better or if they really are kinda the same. THANKS!!!

Dawn McG

Our son has done the one at the GF, YC and CBR. All three were great. With younger kids I do agree that fewer is better. The Albatross cruise out of the YC is great because they stop at resorts and inside the WS. The boardwalk would give you the most to do. I wouldnt worry about POR though. A sit down meal and a bit of shopping/exploring and your 2 hours is over.

I was booking today for our trip in 10 days...lol...and we've been super lucky with bookings...but the GF Pirate Adventure was booked every possible day we're there :(
When we get back I'll tell you all about it!

My dd (6yo) will be doing the Bayou Pirate Adventure in December as well. From everything I've read she's going to love it. We are staying at POR, and we have a 2yo as well, so it was a no brainer for me to have her do the pirate cruise at POR over one of the other resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter