• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Opinions...Please Help

TinkHappy

DIS Veteran
We have been going to WDW for quite a while. We have been DVC members since 1999 - we own at VWL and LOVE IT so much!! Anyway...we are planning our next trip for this June with our two DDs (25&23), and for the first time, we are including their significant others.

Here's my dilemma: We currently have secured a one one-bedroom and two studios at OKW near the HH. We are waitlisted for a three-bedroom near the HH, and a standard three-bedroom on property. SSR currently has a Preferred three-bedroom available and a standard three-bedroom. We would really prefer to stay together in a three-bedroom villa (that's the purpose of our trip). I am trying to decide if it is worth the extra 100+ points for the standard three-bedroom villa or 200+points for a preferred three-bedroom. We love OKW, but I'm nervous our WL may not come through. We have never stayed at SSR but like the idea of being able to walk to DS.

Hoping I can get some much needed help.

If there is a GV in the very first building in The Grandstand building at SSR, it is a steal.

That building, if you got it, is so close to the main building. Closer than a lot of the preferred options. And is also a very short walk to the DD boat.

The view from that specific building is very peaceful.

Preferred SSR - There would be a chance to get one at Congress Park. Beautiful view. Newly renovated. And nice short walk to Downtown Disney (can't seem to type DS!?!).

As for point total, I regularly think extra points are worth a special holiday. But everyone's determination on that choice - What is special and even using more points -is different of course.

I have had some wonderful family gatherings. We used one main unit as a gathering space and everyone had their own unit/space. You said you wanted the Grand Villa. That is everyone's first choice? Simply curious and a tad nosy!

Oh on the other side, OKW balcony time is a wonderful pull for me. But not sure about the balcony configuration of a SSR GV to compare.

Have a wonderful holiday!

Last edited:
I would go for SSR and keep a waitlist for OKW. If it comes through they would, hopefully, put points back that are not banked/borrowed first so then you can bank them if need be.

Now at SSR, we like Congress Park and that is preferred but I might skip out on that to save 100 points and just go standard. And request Grandstand. We had that last time and could walk on down to boat by the golf pro shop. Was super easy. And request close to pool as there are 2 buildings next to pool and they are closest to the main carriage house and that boat dock.

I think I'd book the Standard SSR to have a room of the size you'd prefer secured and keep the waitlists for OKW GV going. It's difficult to say about if Preferred SSR would be worth the additional 100 pts but it would give the potential for being in one of the newly refurbished rooms and the Congress Park section is very nice IMO. If I knew I'd get the refurbed room and Congress Park I'd lean towards yes but that would only be a request. I understand they are now working on the Springs area so by June odds should be good of at least getting a refurbed room if you book preferred.

Don't forget that the 1BR and 2 studios you currently have reserved may all be in different buildings. If having time together is a main goal of this trip, you'll have to decide if the extra points is worth the possibility of not being together.

Either way I'm sure it will be an awesome trip. Enjoy!

Go for the standard 3 BR 100 points extra and make it totally memorable. You'll get to know the adult "version" of your kids better and their significant others and they will get to know you. We're always talking about our last trip and planning the next 2-3 at the same time. We live 3000 miles away so it's a great place to meet. We went as a family for Halloween with son and DIL and had a fabulous time and they are on their way down again in two days for our son's birthday. We had family time, down time and the young people were out late...we often met up at EPCOT and never felt we needed to be together 24/7. We cooked and shared a few meals together and I can say of 30+ trips it was the very best pixiedust: Enjoy!

I have had some wonderful family gatherings. We used one main unit as a gathering space and everyone had their own unit/space. You said you wanted the Grand Villa. That is everyone's first choice? Simply curious and a tad nosy!

Have a wonderful holiday!

Yes, everyone's first choice is to stay together in one Three-bedroom Villa ☺

Thank you for taking time to help me with my decision. We have never stayed at SSR before so I am a little hesitant as I am feeling overwhelmed with the size of the property. But as mentioned, we are all going together so we can spend time together.

As long as none of you have mobility issues it will work out and it is nice to have DS so close as you can either walk or take the boat. You'll have to reach out to find out which buildings are best for what you want - pool, food court, etc. It's all good!

We love love love SSR. And we too have 20-something kiddos and soon might be taking them with their significant others. SIL, also has 20-something kiddos and 2 have long term SOs, also loves SSR. The youngin's like to go to DS for drinks or food and can hang until late (unlike parks that sometime close pretty early). I am booked there for May trip. I own BWV and had the option of booking there (and it's for F&G festival too) but specifically chose SSR. But I did preferred view for the likelihood of getting a renovated room. And requested Congress Park to help with that (CP will be done with renos by then). Plus CP is a walk over to DS.

We used to own OKW and recently sold them. Never was a fan of OKW. Yes, SSR is spread out but we always have a car so we just drive around. Like if our room is in Paddock we might drive over to CP to park and walk to, say, Earl of Sandwich. Now, folks on here might give me crap for suggesting that. But I park in the back and not up close to the CP buildings so as to allow the CP guests their close up parking. And if there is like only 1-2 spots in the lot, and not many open spots, then I won't do it either. But there have always been a good many spots open whenever we've done it. So if you'll have a car then it's no problem. And, honestly, when we stayed in Grandstand last time we just did a short walk down to the boat and used that. We more prefer the section of DS closer to there with like House of Blues and Jock Linday's.

Yes, everyone's first choice is to stay together in one Three-bedroom Villa ☺

Nosy has been fed!

Thank you for taking time to help me with my decision. We have never stayed at SSR before so I am a little hesitant as I am feeling overwhelmed with the size of the property. But as mentioned, we are all going together so we can spend time together.

This might help. I have owned at BWV and SSR. I hardly ever stayed at SSR. Hated the outside hallways. Hated the size of the resort. Hated the chance of seeing outside roads. Hate buses, prefer walking and boats to parks. So much hate, smiling! Also, I prefer an attached lobby/more traditional hotels in the DVC line up.

With the number of points and the fact that I am a skilled assassin with grabbing cancellations, I never had to stay there (only if I chose and that was rarely and very short stays).

Then I had to begrudgingly sell my beloved BWV contract and that decrease in point totals impacted a lot.

I just stayed at SSR at Christmas after not being there for years. Fantastic stay. Was in The Grandstand and The Paddock. Both rooms were in great condition, despite not renovated. Quiet rooms! That is a big deal to me. Lovely peaceful views. The Grandstand, fell in love! Buses didn't bother me. Grandstand is first on, first off. That area also provides a very slim chance of seeing the outside world. I was literally twenty something steps to a pool. Outside hallways didn't bother me this time, actually appreciated a lack of dryness in the rooms.

Used the boat regularly. Stops near two fantastic restaurants - Boathouse and Wine Bar George. Also close to the Edison for late night fun.

The resort has really settled into itself. Trees have grown. Water features are beautiful. Renovated rooms are a success. Really peaceful choice, with DD right there.

But here's the best part - the SSR staff! Everyone was wonderful. And I had a stupidly dramatic situation that was out of my control. I was truly embarrassed to have help with it, and had to have help multiple times. I can't even express to you how wonderful every single person was at the front desk.

I truly fell in love with the resort. After 15 years of owning there.

-------------

Whatever you choose TinkHappy, it will be such a great memory for you all. Enjoy.

Last edited:
This video has a zoom in of the SSR resort map. See how darn close The Grandstand 8501-8836 is to the main area and the boat, being a standard choice for points. And right by a pool.

Proximity is important for the month of June. My sunscreen is gone in two seconds flat in that heat.

This video has a zoom in of the SSR resort map. See how darn close The Grandstand 8501-8836 is to the main area and the boat, being a standard choice for points. And right by a pool.

Proximity is important for the month of June. My sunscreen is gone in two seconds flat in that heat.

This was so helpful! I am more of a visual "learner" so this helped a lot!

I just want to thank everyone for responding to my pleas for help! I love this DisBoard (DIS'ers) community, you all never fail to come through!! xoxoxoxo

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter