Opinions on the Rainforest Cafe

Carrie Ellis

DIS Veteran
Hi, I need some opinions!!

I have booked my family and extended family for dinner at the Rainforest Cafe in AK. Now I have always heard the that the Rainforest Cafe is known more for the atmosphere than the food but I want my kids to experience it!

My cousin, whom I booked for also, has had 2 bad experiences with RFC in TX and he highly suggested that we do not do this.

I have read on this forum good comments on the food so I am actually going with high expectations! I bought VKL voucher too.

What does everyone think about the food? Can I tell my cousin that he is wrong?

We love it! My husband wants to eat there each time we're at Disney. The atmosphere is really fun and we think the food is good. It's not the best food on Disney property - not up there with Jiko, California Grill, Artist Point, etc. - but it's good food. We especially like the appetizers, desserts, and fun drinks!

while the food is not bad ( at least what we had) the draw is more the atmosphere. if you go looking for gourmet food you'll be disappointed , if you go looking for a fun place where food is not the prime thing you should like it fine...you get a ton of food with the voucher btw hub &I split one and were stuffed

We love RFC. The pita quesadillas and the China Island Chicken Salad are some of my favorites there. We love the atmosphere, it is is kids favorite.

Don't forget the dessert menu. The key lime pie is delicious drizzled with raspberry sauce! We are goign for my son's 9th birthday and he wants the Volcano.

I would definitely give a try.

We really liked the food...it wasn't a fancy meal (like GEM said), but it's similar to an Applebee's or Ruby Tueday's. I got one of those slushes in the tall container with the critter in the bottom of it and it was fantastic! Besides, when we where there they were having a 50% off sale in the gift shop so we loaded up on shirts and stuff! Saved a bundle!

We went 2 years ago to the RFC at Disney Marketplace and had a very bad experience. We have gone twice before and had one good and one not so good because my son (12 at the time) ended up with a severe reaction (allergic to nuts) to a dish which was marinated in a walnut pesto and the server did not know this even though we asked when ordering (It was shrimp wrapped in bacon which he has had at numerous restaurants before that with no problem). Anyway my problem with 2 years ago was how expensive the food was in relationship to the quality. I think it was better when we had three little kids and it didn't seem so bad and the atmosphere was fun. Now the kids were all teens...........15, 17 and 19 (all boys and pretty much eat anything).............there were a larger group because my son's girlfriend and mil was with us and I didn't realize they all ordered salad's when they didn't come with the meal (this was an extra cost)..........the items we actually ordered were really not very tasty and the majority were disappointed. Final bill was over $200 for 7 of us and none of us had any alcoholic drinks!! We all said we never want to go there again.

Thanks for the responses! Anymore favorite dishes? That way we could just order from the list that I got here. I feel a little safer with the VKL vouchers. Why I don't know!!! We plan to split: Husband and I (adult voucher), first set of twins (1 child voucher) and second set of twins (1 child voucher). Does that sound like it would be enough food?

I really expect the food to be just ok or good. Kind of like when we would go to the Hard Rock Cafe when I was younger!

My kids will be 8,8, 3 and 3. My cousin's will be 3 and 1. I have 3 boys and I thought they would like this over all the princess stuff that they might get tired of!

Thanks again!

HI, We love the RFC. We eat there at least 2-3 times a visit to WDW. We also travel 45 minutes to a RFC in Ill. several times a year.
I love the Rasta Pasta, my dh LOVES the Jambalaya, very spicy, my DD loves the Pot Roast, the burgers are good, my only complaint is that its a little pricey for what you get. You will have fun there. Oh and get a VOLCANO!! Lori

Have only eaten at the RFC in AK once ~ Food wasn't really that bad although ..... just too many more restaurants that I would like to try.

While the Rainforest is not our favorite restaurant, we always find ourselves eating there. The atmosphere is great. We went for dinner @ downtown Dis. about 5 years ago, long wait. The past 2 times we've gone, we've done lunch @ the one Animal Kingdom, if you don't mind eating an early lunch, we usually get there about 11:00-11:30 and have no wait (maybe 10 min. tops) if you wait until 12:00, expect to need PS or be prepared to wait. The times we've gone around 11:00 a.m. no problems though. Check out www.allearsnet.com there are menus for all of WDW incl. Rainforest, find out beforehand if you feel the food is for you. I like the Jungle Safari Soup.

Love love love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think the food there is really good. RFC is one of my favorite places to eat. I do like the DTD one better but only because it is bigger.

Originally posted by Carrie Ellis
Does that sound like it would be enough food?

My kids will be 8,8, 3 and 3. My cousin's will be 3 and 1. I have 3 boys and I thought they would like this over all the princess stuff that they might get tired of!

Thanks again!

i might split a kids voucher between one older and one younger child as i'm not sure of the quantity with the kids v. but we got the lobster, bruschetta, key lime pie. the lobster came with a large serving of rice and grilled veggies which were both good. only problem was the crab stuffing in the lobster was similar to the crab dip and would have been better with a pass under the broiler..if we go this time i might see if i could request that. the key lime was very very good. on side note, they use real crab, not fake fish dressed up as crab so they can't be all bad!:)

Your cousin is exactly right. While the atmosphere is amusing and lots of fun for kids, my one word review of the food would be:
Yuk!
Huge piles of horrible food, is about what you get. While one RFC entree or salad would be enough to feed a Bangladeshi village for a day, the ingredients are indifferent at best and dressings and other sauces are gloppy and excessively sweet.

IMO, avoid eating at RFC! There are so many other places to eat at WDW that are soooooooo much better food-wise.

Have never had anything sub-standard to eat at the RFC. It is highly themed, but that's the point. I dream of their coconut chicken strips. There is a RFC less than an hour from here, and maybe Ill treat us at least once before our next trip (it is almost a year from now) I also highly reccommend the pot roast. DD12 is very picky about meat, but she has always devoured these::yes::

We enjoy it here. Since it's the only sit-down restaurant in AK, we always eat at RFC. This year we ate in the bar and the service was better than at a table. The food is enjoyable (the salads are very good, as are the wraps). Try the Tropical Toucan drink - it is delicious!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter