opinions on split-stays

homeatssr

Mouseketeer
Our first DVC trip is in November. We are doing a split stay, only because we couldn't get the first night at BCV.

Now, we're thinking we may like to do split-stays on some of our future trips, just so we can get to experience more of the resorts at a quicker pace than one resort a year. For those trips, we're thinking 3 night/4 night split, assuming we find availability.

So, for those of you who have done split-stays, is it a hassle, or no big deal?

Our first DVC trip is in November. We are doing a split stay, only because we couldn't get the first night at BCV.

Now, we're thinking we may like to do split-stays on some of our future trips, just so we can get to experience more of the resorts at a quicker pace than one resort a year. For those trips, we're thinking 3 night/4 night split, assuming we find availability.

So, for those of you who have done split-stays, is it a hassle, or no big deal?

It wasn't a big deal for us. We spent 5 days at BWV and then 3 days at our home of SSR. Moving bags was done easily and we had no problems at all.

I'm on the side of too much hassle to be worth it. Packing/unpacking take time any you are either without stuff or s home for many hours.

It's really personal preference if it works for your family or not.

I think it all depends what your vacationing habits are. I did a split stay between OKW/BCV last week and wouldn't hesitate to do one again. I pack lightly and didn't mind spending roughly 20 minutes each packing and unpacking bags. We dropped our bags off at bell services in the morning, went to Epcot for a few hours, walked over to BCV and were checked in with our bags in the room by 3:00. I enjoyed it for a change of pace. OKW is a very nice laid-back resort, but I also enjoy the hustle and bustle of the Beach Club and Boardwalk in the evenings. Unless you have young children, you probably wouldn't regret it :thumbsup2

We haven't felt it's been a big hassle. You do need to budget for more Bell Services tips, because they'll either be moving your bags for you entirely (in which case you need to know that they will NOT be available until AFTER official checkin time, and plan accordingly) or, if you have a car, because they are holding your bags for you while you enjoy your day before you get your new room.

I feel like it lengthens our vacations, to start new in a new place. We fully unpack, too, and still, the extra packing and unpacking times doesn't put a damper on our (well, MY, since DH and DS leave it to me to do this (and that's OK with me!) fun or experience.

But you don't want to sit around and wait for the room to be available. Either go to the parks, or go souvenir shopping, or plan a pool day, etc...DO something so you're not just waiting around. And be sure you have what you need with you, especially if BS is actually moving your bags.

we have done a lot of split stays from short stays of 1 to 3 nights per resort or more than 7 nights. It is a bit of hassle having to pack and unpack and more logistical concerns if you have groceries.

But, I do love to change locations. On our last trip back in May 2012, we have done the first 7 nights at BLT (in a lake view studio), then moved to BWV for a BWV view one bedroom for two nights. This way, we can concentrate on MK and then relax at Boardwalk area (and also Epcot).

We have done 3/3/3 stays as well; Treehouse Villas, Old Key West Grand Villas, and Boardwalk 2 bedroom.

You can simply call bell to have them pick up the luggage to transfer to another Disney resort. Easy.

In November, we will do 3 nights in a Boardwalk Grand villa, then onto a 4 night Disney cruise, then one night in a MK BLT Grand villa, then to a small 2 bedroom at VWL for two nights.

Personally I don't care to do split stays unless that's my only option for the dates of my trip. I had this year's F & W trip all planned out & got all the nights I wanted at BWV. Turned out the event I was planning to attend was moved from the traditional dates to 2 weeks earlier so all I could get to cover the whole thing with the new dates was SSR. With a little tweaking here & there I can split my stay between SSR & BWV or BWV/SSR/BWV or BWV/VWL/BWV but I'm still missing 1 night that I need if I do the VWL one. I'd prefer the VWL option or would even do AKV if I could get dates that include the one I missing allowing me to give up the SSR ressie which is the only one that has the missing night. The missing night is currently wait-listed & I keep checking daily multiple times trying to find something that works. If I have to split I prefer to only have to move once.

We do them every summer and I like them. It allows me to stay at BWV and BLT and be within walking distance to 3 of the 4 parks. What I have done to make it easier on move day, I pack one suitcase for the first resort and one for the 2nd. I just unpack the first one and as we use things, they go back into the suitcase. I do laundry at the 2nd resort.

I prefer doing split stays if we're on site for over 7 nights, after a week I'm ready to experience a new resort.

We unpack and settle in for our entire trip. No split stays for us. We'll be DVC members for a while yet and have already tried most of our favorites so no need to try to pack them all in at once. It's bad enough to be homeless on arrival until our villa is ready, but again during the same trip? No way.

We're doing our first split stay as DVC members this coming January...5 nights at BCV and 5 nights at BLT. Can't wait!

one split stay was more than enough for me. got a terrible room at the second resort and didn't get in until after 5:00.

I think it also depends on the number traveling in your party. When My husband and I did a split between BLT and BWV it was great because we went to MK while at BLT and the others while at BWV. It was easy because there were only two of us so we didn't have too much stuff, and we were on DDP so we didn't have any groceries to move. That being said, when we took a multi family trip (9 of us) and we stayed at THV (3 nts), BCV (3 nts), and BLT (4 nts) it was a nightmare. We had too many kids, groceries, and electronics to leave it to bell services and it was way too much of a hassle. Lesson well learned for us!

I'm a big fan, but then I always have long trips so no segments < 5 nights and also we don't have kids in tow. I also have a wife who's excellent at packing, including segmenting cases so that helps ;)

We really like it. Our kids r older though so that helps. We start at BLT for MK walk, then BCV for SAB and EPCOT and DHS walk. Check out of BLT and hit SAB or a park for the afternoon. Bags show up by about 3 or 4. Simple.

Way to much of a hassel for me and my family. Lots of wasted time that could be used to do something more entertaining (parks, pool or shopping, etc.).

Will admit, that due to availability, or lack thereof, a split stay may be required.......just don't do it intentionally.

Love 'em! ...and our trips are usually only 5 nights.

We have a small contract (100 points) so by starting 2 nights in a studio and then moving to a 1BR for the next 3, we can conserve our points but still have the benefit of the 1BR villas.

In the past, I've added the DxDDP to the studio portion of the trip. That would cover three days of dining so we'd hit all of our favorite (and most expensive) TS meals. We start out the trip so gung-ho anyways that we barely spend any time in the studio. By the time we are moved into the 1BR, we're slowing down a bit and ready to relax a little...and I get to do some laundry:laundy:. We just dine on a budget or eat leftovers for the rest of the stay.

I started our split-stays by staying within the same resort which was super easy. This past October, it was just DSiL and I (no kids) so we did a LV studio at BLT followed by a std 1BR at BWV...PERFECT! I just planned our switch day to be our day at Epcot so we just walked over to BWV and checked in when we were ready. Our luggage was at BS so we just walked up to our room. I would not hesitate to split between resorts again...but it will be hard to pull me away from my AKV home again:snooty:.

We love them too!

Just returned this week from a 10 day stay at BCV & AKV.

You can tell by my signature the split stays we've done.

My one recommendation (if not splitting the nights evenly), is to do the shorter stay first. We goofed this time and did 7 nights BCV, followed by 2 nights AKV.

No split stays for us. Many of the trip reports I read here detail bad check-in experiences so scheduling two or more check-ins on a trip would seem to be asking for trouble. However, for the patient and the optimistic, it may work fine.

Way to much of a hassel for me and my family. Lots of wasted time that could be used to do something more entertaining (parks, pool or shopping, etc.).

Will admit, that due to availability, or lack thereof, a split stay may be required.......just don't do it intentionally.

When we do our split, we use that day to go to DTD. So far, it really has not wasted any time, other than maybe 10 minutes to take the luggage to bell services on our way out of the first resort.

This year, on the day we leave BWV, we will head to a late breakfast reservation in Norway, then will head to DTD for shopping. By the time we are done, it will be at least 4:00 pm, so we will just head to BLT, and by that point, the rooms should be done.

We have found a way to make them work but I agree, they are not for everyone...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter